Performance ?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Performance ?

Thanks

Question Performance ?

Hello,

I don't understand what's happening... but even if I create a new canvas with just 1024x786 pixel and 72dpi the performance of painter 12 really kills me ... there is always a big lag, and it also feels like that there isn't enough CPU power or RAM.

I do have a pretty good computer, photoshop works fine... 8GB of RAM...

What can I do to change that ?

thank you so much for any little help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if you're on windows, downgrading to painter IX (or even earlier) would solve many performance woes.

also, check your memory usage (should be somewhere in painter preferences, I don't remember what tab exactly it is on windows) - on 64-bit os, windows painter should be able to utilize more ram. on mac, it's currently capped on 2 GB.
    and try reducing number of cores, allocated for painter, to 1 or 2 if you have more.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts

Thanks

Unhappy hmmm

well.. thank you so much for the info and the link...

but that doesn't solve my issue... Painter 12 is eating up RAM like crazy... even if I start painting on a standard canvas 1024x768 - after 10 minutes painting I have to close painter.

For some reason, the RAM will not be totally cleaned.. and it is very frustrating to work like that.... I am pretty sure that the corel dev team is working hard on that.. but in order to paint without having RAM issues...

I assume you need 48GB of RAM plus a super multicore cpu plus one of the best graphics card...

I am painting currently at a canvas size 600x400 and 72dpi - this is crazy....

Also the brush stroke lag .... please, please.. I have no idea how to fix that and how to make Painter fluent.... it's such a great tool.. I love it.. but the technical issues are soooo frustrating....

thank you

Thanks
    did you install the patches and updates corel rolled out since initial release?
    one of them was addressing brush lag specifically.

remember to back up your custom brushes and/or workspaces before installing the updates, and reset painter to factory settings (shift+click while starting) to make sure everything works seamlessly after update.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Make sure you set the cores (under preferences) to only use the physical cores of your system. Hyper-threaded "virtual" cores do not perform well in Painter, and generally cause the brushes to respond far slower (eg: a 12 core Intel i7 is really just 6 physical cores with 6 "virtual" cores).

As far as Painter eating RAM: you can also set Painter to only allow it to use how much RAM you want it to use (under preferences) -- If you have 8GB of Ram, I would set it for no higher than 50%, which should be more than adequate for 2D graphics of any size... typically I set mine for a maximum of 25%, with 12 GB of RAM.

Best,
    Jason.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelaaut View Post
    I assume you need 48GB of RAM plus a super multicore cpu plus one of the best graphics card...

I am painting currently at a canvas size 600x400 and 72dpi - this is crazy....
    Nope. I honestly don't have the problems. I run Painter off 1 core right now because I don't really need the performance boost for the brushes I've been using. Most of the last paintings I have done were on dual core laptop (in xp) and an icore3 - most recent. I have a quad core desktop but I also have had few issues.

As Jason said I lowered my ram limit down. It will take up as much you allow it to and I have no issues.

I'm on the latest version as well.

Members who have read this thread: 1