Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Blackbridge path: try, try and try again

Last time I posted something in a public forum it was 2004. Back then I had a full head of hair and a wicked goatee. Both are gone now.

My artistic path is long and full of failures. Most of the damage was self-inflicted. I wish I had the wisdom to learn from my mistakes faster, but I didn't. Takes me several visits to the doctor before I realise that fire is great for cooking and entertaining friends, not so much for sticking hands into it.

A few months ago I finally understood what I wanted to do with art and I how big of a commitment it is going to be. I realised that I needed to find a good teacher and get back to basics. So I did.

The purpose of these posts is to share my progress with my fellow artists and learn something in the process. I'll try to dig up some of my older stuff, but I'll start by posting my latest work: cubes (lots of them) and bargues.

Comments, critique, advice: all are welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Blackbridge; April 24th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Show all the planes of the cubes, even the ones you can't see! Good practice, btw

Thanks
    GaussianRaider: Thanks, man. Good point. These are drawn from observation. I'm training my eye/hand coordination as well as angle and distance estimation with these. I should start drawing them through soon. Right now I'm more interested in learning to 'feel' the planes.

Some more cubes here:

Thanks
    Quick block-in practice (under 5 minutes for each block in) and more cubes.

Thanks
    more block-in practice drills. It's amazing how long these take. It looks like they shouldn't take longer than 20 seconds, but I can easily take 8 to 10 minutes to complete each. I set my timer on 5 minutes; this restriction forces me to improve my speed and precision.

Thanks
    Finished my third bargue. So far the second one was the hardest. I think something snapped in my head while I was working on the girl's face bargue. It snapped either in place or completely out. I can't tell. It's all worth it.

Thanks
    This is a very disciplined start for a sketchbook. I like it. I look forward seeing your progress.

Do you mind explaining what the block in process consists of?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wonderful job on the bargues man, I felt exactly the same when I was working on my second bargue too. Looking forward to seeing your cast, you'll do an awesome job no doubt!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yochanan: Thanks man. Jonathan got me doing gradients with charcoal. That stuff just won't stick to paper. And the worst part is when you lay it on very thick and then try to go over it again; instead of getting darker I end up scrubbing everything off down to the the white of the paper surface. I feel very nervous about the upcoming cast drawings. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need it.

Leonor: I'll post my answer to your question in my next reply. Need to switch comps real quick.

Here's an update:

Last edited by Blackbridge; May 14th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    Leonor: This block-in drill is based on another block-in exercise I picked up watching Jonathan's workshop videos. He was doing that workshop with Aaron Reid, who recommended a very cool drill: you take a newspaper or a magazine and do a simple block-in with a sharpie over a picture. So I decided to take that idea even further: I take a fashion or a muscle magazine, block-in an image by tracing over it on tracing paper, then I put the tracing paper away and do a few block-ins of the same image on a separate sheet. When I feel I got my block-in as close as I can, I overlay the original trace over my drawing to see how close I really got and what mistakes I made. I limit my time to 5 minutes per block-in (I set a timer).

So that's it. The purpose of the exercise is twofold: it teaches you to estimate distances and angles and it pushes you to do it very quickly. You can think of it as doing a bargue, only in 5 minutes and with none of that tedious rendering. Very convenient way to practice drawing when you're on a break at work or watching TV with your family.

Hope this answered your question. Here's an example of a typical blockin drill.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackbridge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good stuff here, keep it up!

I really hear you about the charcoal, I really hated it and I actually let it get to me and hold me back for a while. However, it is possible to get that @&^*%$& to work

I don't know your background but I had never tried much charcoal, and certainly not for detailed work. It's just a matter of lots of practice and it will come to you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Craig D: Thanks for the encouragement, man. I know what you mean about being held back by the medium or some technique. I will do my best to power through it. If the results suck, so be it, at least I will be able to say that I put honest effort into it.

That being said, I watched Jonathan lay down tones with a stick of charcoal like it was a 6B pencil. I don't know how he does these things - must be his god-like patience. But if he can do it, I can probably accomplish something too, provided that he gives me a good kick in the a$$ now and again :)

Last edited by Blackbridge; May 16th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your process. That seems to be a very useful exercise which doesn't require complicated equipment.

What's the necessary minimum studio setup to draw a Bargue? I've read you're meant to make 18X24 copies of the book plates and I assume you have to draw vertically to be able to draw in such a big size and take measurements correctly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.