Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelyHowze View Post
    It sounds like you've gotten some good advice
    after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IIIzoeIII View Post
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

I have seen you rip at some other decent artists on here to the point of being dare I say it? rude..
    Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The hero is going into like the gates of hell to find and slay the beast where my picture is the beast is coming out from the ground and destroying the land..

Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EagleGrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.

critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleGrove View Post
    Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...
    SEE this I find very helpful. thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see
    Stop whining. Man up. People have taken the time out of their day
    to help you because they want to see you improve. Take it from me
    the paying art world is a brutal cut-throat place. You must learn to start
    taking crits at this level or you will never survive it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    zoe..I think you might get alot out of the Crimson Citters vids

<--the last crit on this one and...

<---The second crit at 35mins especially this one seems more relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: also I think you're getting too attached to your picture to see what people are saying, I used to be that way, and it can be harsh to hear people ripping your stuff apart, but you did say that the picture you posted was a rough colour and comp sketch so I don't see why you don't at least try some of the stuff suggested, 'murder your darlings' and all that.
    Last edited by Angel Intheuk; April 26th, 2012 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks
    whoooaa who said I am trying to get paid?
    this is a hobby ya'll I don't sell my work unless I get a request.Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.
    And you are speaking from experience I assume?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    zoe..I think you might get alot out of the Crimson Citters vids

<--the last crit on this one and...

<---The second crit at 35mins especially this one seems more relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: also I think you're getting too attached to your picture to see what people are saying, I used to be that way, and it can be harsh to hear people ripping your stuff apart, but you did say that the picture you posted was a rough colour and comp sketch so I don't see why you don't at least try some of the stuff suggested, 'murder your darlings' and all that.

I'm going to re-draw it......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,459 Posts
    ".At least velocity took it on putting his credibility on the line"

HA Im a 30 year old man who wears an orange roadworkers jumpsuit as an item of daily clothing and skates through traffic looking like an orange tampon every day.
    The other night I got so drunk I passed out in a field and got woken up by a cow trying to eat the tobacco in my pockets. That or give me a blowy. You have any idea how much snot comes out of a cows face when the corpse its nuzzling suddenly screams in terror and slaps it on the nose? Think jurrassic park bronotosaurus. And then skate home like an orange tampon. covered in cow shit. My point is my credibility is gone. shot to pieces years ago.

i think your hearts in the right place but you need to work on the abrasive, i want pro tips and i wont stop mouthing off till i get em attitude. i am a pro, at least in as much as people pay me, the credulous saps. but yeah it is still fun.
    as a special favour to me, try actually for once taking some advice that your given by these people, theyre not yanking your chain or trying to embarass you. because dude. seriously. this painting eats at the moment, and you cant see anything wrong with it, which if your serious about improving is like having Yoda tell you about the Force and you going aro9und using it to torture small animals. Its exactly like that. The simile is uncanny.
    Spooky even. How can you live with yourself? What did those baby creatures ever do to you?

this, yeah my 15 minute scribbleover aint much to write home about. We need Venger or Javier P on the case those guys youd better listen to. Even if you ignore the rest of us, listen to Venger Giocomo and javierP those dudes are sick.
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Hey Zoe, just out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with your art? Are you a hobbyist who just wants to draw what's in his mind occasionally? Or do you aim to be a working professional? I'm asking because the people here are treating you like a professional, but you're responding as a hobbyist. Particularly the part where you said "you guys are falling to hard on rules..there are no rules in art there is no set way to draw anything." sounds like your aim is not to create art of a particular (professional) level. Which is fine, a lot of people treat art as a recreational thing and for them creating work of a certain quality is not important. But if that is you, you probably don't want to be in this section of the forum because I doubt you'll find what you're looking for here.

Be honest to us and most importantly, be honest to yourself. What do you really want?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentally, spiritually, whatever, your just not ready for this. It has nothing to do with your skill level, and everything to do with your attitude. You have misconceptions about what your even doing, are you painting this picture to learn about painting, or are you painting it to make a perfect piece, that took months to render, and still looks like crap because you don't know how to paint, just how to smudge paint over 3d renders, which is teaching you jack. Don't over invest in any one piece, spread it out, do studies of everything that interests you, paint not to finish the piece, but to just learn something new.

You need an attitude adjustment, bottom line, and with your "defensor" attitude, your coming across pretty frickin' thick my dude.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    ".At least velocity took it on putting his credibility on the line"

HA Im a 30 year old man who wears an orange roadworkers jumpsuit as an item of daily clothing and skates through traffic looking like an orange tampon every day.
    The other night I got so drunk I passed out in a field and got woken up by a cow trying to eat the tobacco in my pockets. That or give me a blowy. You have any idea how much snot comes out of a cows face when the corpse its nuzzling suddenly screams in terror and slaps it on the nose? Think jurrassic park bronotosaurus. And then skate home like an orange tampon. covered in cow shit. My point is my credibility is gone. shot to pieces years ago.

i think your hearts in the right place but you need to work on the abrasive, i want pro tips and i wont stop mouthing off till i get em attitude. i am a pro, at least in as much as people pay me, the credulous saps. but yeah it is still fun.
    as a special favour to me, try actually for once taking some advice that your given by these people, theyre not yanking your chain or trying to embarass you. because dude. seriously. this painting eats at the moment, and you cant see anything wrong with it, which if your serious about improving is like having Yoda tell you about the Force and you going aro9und using it to torture small animals. Its exactly like that. The simile is uncanny.
    Spooky even. How can you live with yourself? What did those baby creatures ever do to you?

this, yeah my 15 minute scribbleover aint much to write home about. We need Venger or Javier P on the case those guys youd better listen to. Even if you ignore the rest of us, listen to Venger Giocomo and javierP those dudes are sick.
    this had me lmao for realz whew...ok
    yeah the painting you did, like I said that is something I would have done a month ago..since people have been critiquing me though they would scream to high heaven if I showed them something like that..who on earth is venger and javier?...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    Hey Zoe, just out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with your art? Are you a hobbyist who just wants to draw what's in his mind occasionally? Or do you aim to be a working professional? I'm asking because the people here are treating you like a professional, but you're responding as a hobbyist. Particularly the part where you said "you guys are falling to hard on rules..there are no rules in art there is no set way to draw anything." sounds like your aim is not to create art of a particular (professional) level. Which is fine, a lot of people treat art as a recreational thing and for them creating work of a certain quality is not important. But if that is you, you probably don't want to be in this section of the forum because I doubt you'll find what you're looking for here.
    Be honest to us and most importantly, be honest to yourself. What do you really want?
    just a hobby,I was getting tired of my stuff always being so dark and stiff..I just wanted to really break past that barrier and I think as a 1st step this picture is worlds better than my old stuff already..so? idk it's just a layout but still I think it has potential once it's completed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast