Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: after being critiqued.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    "I was kinda lost at the relevance......what are you talking about?..not paying attention to what's even being shown.doesn't apply-"

ha ha well fair enough bud. If you cant tell the difference or see anything worth learning there then you have bigger problems than poorly composed images.
    put it this way, those images are awesome, and you can always learn a lot from awesome work.

we're just a sample of randoms. you can be assured if we think stuff about your image, others will be too. we're trying to help you. its no skin of our noses if you decide to ignore our advice.

im telling you now and im telling you straight, the daz figures look like corpses being jiggled around. its not working.

these are from sfrancian's and might help.
    after being critiqued.....

Look at the difference between your image, and something by Craig Mullins.
    Look at his lighting, and compostiion, and rendering. its masterful.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think we answered your questions Zoe--no, we do not like your image. We made the mistake of elaborating for you.

We have mentioned thumbnails 3 or 4 times, and I haven't heard you say anything about it, Zoe. Are you willing to take steps to make good art or not? Doing thumbnails isn't a rule that is stripping you of your sense of self like you make it out to be. Its a tried and true method based on common sense. Doing thumbnails, starting small, starting simple, is a logical step in making anything.

If you are truly without pride, then you would be dropping everything to try what we're recommending. What have you got to lose by trying it our way? What have you got to lose?!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    ok what about this , tried to take my own advice for 20 mins
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    see Velocity that is exactly the kind of painting I would have made before I was getting my work critiqued. it's dark...the main character is way too small he's perfectly vertical and takes up as much space as the monster...I have so far been told to rid my work of black use more color and duel light sources I have never even painted something this before with that much color and motion so that is what makes this so different.Also as far as "theme" goes your pic is portraying a much different story.The hero is going into like the gates of hell to find and slay the beast where my picture is the beast is coming out from the ground and destroying the land.."the hero is coming to the rescue" is my main theme.I also get no sense of matrix anti gravity from yours just looks like a dude standing there ready to cast a spear at a beast...

and artfix...do you like anyone's work?
    I have seen you rip at some other decent artists on here to the point of being dare I say it? rude..at this point I want you to show me what you think is GOOD art.Cause I'm starting to think you aren't out to help anyone.I have yet to see how you would compose or fix this picture.At least velocity took it on putting his credibility on the line.I'd love for you to just blow me away with something I had never conceived.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelyHowze View Post
    It sounds like you've gotten some good advice
    after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IIIzoeIII View Post
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

I have seen you rip at some other decent artists on here to the point of being dare I say it? rude..
    Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The hero is going into like the gates of hell to find and slay the beast where my picture is the beast is coming out from the ground and destroying the land..

Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EagleGrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.

critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleGrove View Post
    Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...
    SEE this I find very helpful. thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see
    Stop whining. Man up. People have taken the time out of their day
    to help you because they want to see you improve. Take it from me
    the paying art world is a brutal cut-throat place. You must learn to start
    taking crits at this level or you will never survive it.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    zoe..I think you might get alot out of the Crimson Citters vids

<--the last crit on this one and...

<---The second crit at 35mins especially this one seems more relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: also I think you're getting too attached to your picture to see what people are saying, I used to be that way, and it can be harsh to hear people ripping your stuff apart, but you did say that the picture you posted was a rough colour and comp sketch so I don't see why you don't at least try some of the stuff suggested, 'murder your darlings' and all that.
    Last edited by Angel Intheuk; April 26th, 2012 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks
    whoooaa who said I am trying to get paid?
    this is a hobby ya'll I don't sell my work unless I get a request.Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.
    And you are speaking from experience I assume?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast