Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: after being critiqued.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    And when you say "accurate models" I hope you mean real people, not 3D models?
    i think you'll find he means the latter
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    In lightship's sketch... I'm assuming the dude just pulled back his arm, wouldn't the cape turn the other way? Or did I miss something important again?

@Zoe: Don't get too attached to your 3D models, using them too often as a crutch will greatly impair your progress in learning anatomy. Making quick thumbs with just silhouettes in black and white is a lot more beneficial to your progress (both lifelong artistic progress and individual paintings).

Thanks
    I have anatomy books and tons of photos to help me with "realism" if I get stumped on something..the models are for one thing..to make perfect form when I say "perfect form" I'm not even talking about physical human perfection I mean having a real 3D object in space soooo......like there is no room for error such as the size of a hand that is behind someone's back,if I was going to draw that freestyle it would be a guess as to how big it would be..ya see what I'm saying..a lot of artists don't draw people very well cause they make hands too big and heads too small..it doesn't look human and I notice it before anything else when I see a picture..I see a lot of people on here and their paintings are fantastic their colors and backgrounds even their composition is good but then they will take a crack at a human and the whole piece goes down in flames.Figures are my main discipline.

Thanks
    Hi EagleGrove

In answer to your point yes thats entirely possible!! the cape is a heavy waterproof fabric normally so it probably wouldnt fly around in the breeze but would certainly react to violent movements in unexpected ways, like whiping around and bunching and flaping.

all the best and I'm glad its got you thinking.

P.S. this is a general comment just to ask "would it really hurt you guys to click the little button on the bottom right of a post and say thanks once in a while?" people are trying to help and a little curtesy would go a long way, thank you.
    Last edited by Lightship69; April 25th, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: just a thought
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    zoe - mistakes are part of the process. yes lots of people fail to draw people because they don't pit in the effort. and knowing instead of guessing will insure what you put down is correct, or to a point where it looks convincing. i personally love painting and drawing people and when i was younger all's i ever drew where superheros and monsters and stuff. no one can force you to learn how to draw people but like Eaglegrove said it will become a crutch and will bite you in the arse. try just working on your figure drawing in your spare time.
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-faced View Post
    zoe - mistakes are part of the process. yes lots of people fail to draw people because they don't pit in the effort. and knowing instead of guessing will insure what you put down is correct, or to a point where it looks convincing. i personally love painting and drawing people and when i was younger all's i ever drew where superheros and monsters and stuff. no one can force you to learn how to draw people but like Eaglegrove said it will become a crutch and will bite you in the arse. try just working on your figure drawing in your spare time.
    I used to study and draw 24 7 but I got old and careless about certain things.I just want things to look a certain way now and I refuse to draw something 100% out of my head when I can make something way better..I don't have pride anymore,pride was my biggest crutch when I was younger and it always held me back from making the kind of art I wanted to.I used to think photos and human models etc were "cheating" I can draw just fine without any help at all but when I want to make something "real" I use all kinds of help to ensure I get what I wanted out of it...and it's way funner for me,and art should be about fun if it's not why make it?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    did you understand when I answered your question

""so is I want the beast to still look huge and the foreground figure to be big enough to keep interest which do I resize to break out or the same size figures? and is having to objects of equal size really bad composition? it seems perfectly fine to me...explain."
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IIIzoeIII View Post
    I have anatomy books and tons of photos to help me with "realism" if I get stumped on something..the models are for one thing..to make perfect form when I say "perfect form" I'm not even talking about physical human perfection I mean having a real 3D object in space soooo......like there is no room for error such as the size of a hand that is behind someone's back,if I was going to draw that freestyle it would be a guess as to how big it would be..ya see what I'm saying..a lot of artists don't draw people very well cause they make hands too big and heads too small..it doesn't look human and I notice it before anything else when I see a picture..I see a lot of people on here and their paintings are fantastic their colors and backgrounds even their composition is good but then they will take a crack at a human and the whole piece goes down in flames.Figures are my main discipline.
    The main difficulty with using DAZ or Poser (which you seem to be doing here) is that the software doesn't understand gravity, lighting, gesture or contrapposto (look it up if you don't know) at all and as a result, you get images with "correct proportion" that look really dodgy. The screen capture you posted is a perfect example: that pose makes absolutely no sense, unless it's the pose of someone who fell out of an airplane and is lying broken and twisted on a rocky hillside. People (at least, live ones) just don't move like that in the real world.

3D software can be great for working out tricky issues of perspective and foreshortening, but right now you're just uncritically painting over whatever Poser gives you. Garbage in, garbage out.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't have pride anymore,pride was my biggest crutch when I was younger and it always held me back from making the kind of art I wanted to.
    My god, Marsellus, is that you?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I used to study and draw 24 7 but I got old and careless about certain things.I just want things to look a certain way now and I refuse to draw something 100% out of my head when I can make something way better..I don't have pride anymore,pride was my biggest crutch when I was younger and it always held me back from making the kind of art I wanted to.I used to think photos and human models etc were "cheating" I can draw just fine without any help at all but when I want to make something "real" I use all kinds of help to ensure I get what I wanted out of it...and it's way funner for me,and art should be about fun if it's not why make it?
    I'm very confused as to why you're being so defensive.... and dare I say, personal?
    Whether or not you're using the correct material isn't the problem--- it's how well you're translating the reference or model.

I understand that you're using a model to paint over but that doesn't make it right in the 2D world. Especially if you're using a 3D program like Maya or Zbrush--- these programs fake perspective. Not that you have to sit down with a grid and figure it out perfectly. What you need to do is realize that "If it doesn't look right--- it isn't."

A client isn't going to care about your models and reference and perspective grid (not that a client is what this is for, just an example.) If the faked or real perspective doesn't translate to the viewer it doesn't matter. It's the finished product that matters and right now it isn't working.

Take into consideration what these people are saying. In regards to Kendall's comment--- I agree, and I think that the size you're trying to capture would work far better if you moved some things around.

On the 3D note, if you['re going to paint over something--- be sure to paint over the whole thing. If you miss chunks it just looks unfinished.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coyox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I totally agree with Coyox. As a 2D artist your best friend are your own eyes and your perception. You should allow them to guide you instead of software. if you want to do that then just create it all in 3d and then create a nice render.

Also as i've mentioned before... the smudge brush. It looks as if you've abused it here. if you want to use it you've got to make it make sense for the material your trying to render. lava maybe... rocks...possible but not worth the hassle.
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    I'm so confused about this "fake perspective" thing...what are you talking about?
    and again daz is just a basic form,the screen cap is clearly a spider-man pose so dynamic is what I was shooting for.They always pose him as crazy as they can so by comparison even mine is kinda timid.

and any pose that a human can make daz can make and that's all I need to get started.A lot of artists use those little wood doll things haha I think daz is a lot better than that.I could obviously pose and simply trace myself but I don't want to do it that way..you guys are falling to hard on rules..there are no rules in art there is no set way to draw anything.I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the color and composition of this..and not really on it's own but by comparison to my old stuff is this a better use of color and less stiff than my other work?
    if there's times I seem defensive it's when something obviously doesn't apply like the spear being thrown off screen that's just saying something to say it..and not paying attention to what's even being shown.
    or the drawing of the guy throwing the spear on the ground when my figure is in a free fall -doesn't apply- that's simply trying to tell me how to draw something when there is no law..I think my pose looks a lot more dynamic and artistic than just pulling back to launch a spear on foot..if it were a movie it would definitely be a "matrix" moment or the oracle from 300 in the trance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLia-5heO5M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    did you understand when I answered your question

""so is I want the beast to still look huge and the foreground figure to be big enough to keep interest which do I resize to break out or the same size figures? and is having to objects of equal size really bad composition? it seems perfectly fine to me...explain."
    idk? all the samples you have pics of the foreground figure is too small and the paintings as a whole look more landscape-ish..I was kinda lost at the relevance

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast