after being critiqued..... - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelyHowze View Post
    It sounds like you've gotten some good advice
    after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....after being critiqued.....
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IIIzoeIII View Post
    and I would agree...with some of it.
    like if you go look at the titan pic I did then look at this.I think people were starting to get me out of the stiff darkness I was in.
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

I have seen you rip at some other decent artists on here to the point of being dare I say it? rude..
    Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hero is going into like the gates of hell to find and slay the beast where my picture is the beast is coming out from the ground and destroying the land..

Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EagleGrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Actually that was said by Artfix in post #4, that's just a spambot copying people's comments. (I already reported it)

Also this is the Critique section, we are supposed to rip into everyone's work in here.

critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleGrove View Post
    Sorry, but I didn't see that at all in your picture... I thought the soldier was standing (somewhat awkwardly) on the ground with that monster right in front of him. No matter what you want it to be, that is what I see. I suggest that you really add some more space around these two characters, so that we can see the ground from which the monster is bursting out from, some clearly defined boulders and cracked earth, and seeing the ground will as a sweet bonus tell the viewer more clearly that the soldier is in the air. Also, if these two dudes are different sizes, well... They have to be different sizes in your painting. You have to show it. If you absolutely must insist on having them the same size at least add some atmospheric perspective to show that the beast is really far away.
    You mentioned that the images posted by VK were too landscape-y. Well, if a beast is huge, it really dominates the landscape, and if you want to show the whole beast you're going to have to show a large bit of landscape too. That's just logic. What you have drawn might work as a part of a movie, where it's already been established how large the beast is and that it's bursting out of the ground. A painting however has to show everything in one single moment. The characters, their size, their "relationship" (enemies), what they are doing etc...
    SEE this I find very helpful. thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    critiquing is helping though and I understand that thus why I posted this here and not elsewhere.There is a difference between getting help and ripping at someones style..an art teacher who walks by your work in progress and redraws an arm or something for you isn't helping much I come here to get points of view and some pro-tips and I have gotten quite a bit of good advice but some is not so good and others is not even helpful without demonstration.I f I see something off and think my 2 cents would help I'd show you what I think needs to be happening not just run it down and say figure it out on your own..cause god knows you'll come up with something new and it will get shot down as well.cause the CRITIC didn't show you what THEY want to see
    Stop whining. Man up. People have taken the time out of their day
    to help you because they want to see you improve. Take it from me
    the paying art world is a brutal cut-throat place. You must learn to start
    taking crits at this level or you will never survive it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    zoe..I think you might get alot out of the Crimson Citters vids

<--the last crit on this one and...

<---The second crit at 35mins especially this one seems more relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: also I think you're getting too attached to your picture to see what people are saying, I used to be that way, and it can be harsh to hear people ripping your stuff apart, but you did say that the picture you posted was a rough colour and comp sketch so I don't see why you don't at least try some of the stuff suggested, 'murder your darlings' and all that.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; April 26th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoooaa who said I am trying to get paid?
    this is a hobby ya'll I don't sell my work unless I get a request.Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Once art becomes work it's not fun anymore.
    And you are speaking from experience I assume?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    zoe..I think you might get alot out of the Crimson Citters vids

<--the last crit on this one and...

<---The second crit at 35mins especially this one seems more relevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: also I think you're getting too attached to your picture to see what people are saying, I used to be that way, and it can be harsh to hear people ripping your stuff apart, but you did say that the picture you posted was a rough colour and comp sketch so I don't see why you don't at least try some of the stuff suggested, 'murder your darlings' and all that.

I'm going to re-draw it......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ".At least velocity took it on putting his credibility on the line"

HA Im a 30 year old man who wears an orange roadworkers jumpsuit as an item of daily clothing and skates through traffic looking like an orange tampon every day.
    The other night I got so drunk I passed out in a field and got woken up by a cow trying to eat the tobacco in my pockets. That or give me a blowy. You have any idea how much snot comes out of a cows face when the corpse its nuzzling suddenly screams in terror and slaps it on the nose? Think jurrassic park bronotosaurus. And then skate home like an orange tampon. covered in cow shit. My point is my credibility is gone. shot to pieces years ago.

i think your hearts in the right place but you need to work on the abrasive, i want pro tips and i wont stop mouthing off till i get em attitude. i am a pro, at least in as much as people pay me, the credulous saps. but yeah it is still fun.
    as a special favour to me, try actually for once taking some advice that your given by these people, theyre not yanking your chain or trying to embarass you. because dude. seriously. this painting eats at the moment, and you cant see anything wrong with it, which if your serious about improving is like having Yoda tell you about the Force and you going aro9und using it to torture small animals. Its exactly like that. The simile is uncanny.
    Spooky even. How can you live with yourself? What did those baby creatures ever do to you?

this, yeah my 15 minute scribbleover aint much to write home about. We need Venger or Javier P on the case those guys youd better listen to. Even if you ignore the rest of us, listen to Venger Giocomo and javierP those dudes are sick.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Zoe, just out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with your art? Are you a hobbyist who just wants to draw what's in his mind occasionally? Or do you aim to be a working professional? I'm asking because the people here are treating you like a professional, but you're responding as a hobbyist. Particularly the part where you said "you guys are falling to hard on rules..there are no rules in art there is no set way to draw anything." sounds like your aim is not to create art of a particular (professional) level. Which is fine, a lot of people treat art as a recreational thing and for them creating work of a certain quality is not important. But if that is you, you probably don't want to be in this section of the forum because I doubt you'll find what you're looking for here.

Be honest to us and most importantly, be honest to yourself. What do you really want?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mentally, spiritually, whatever, your just not ready for this. It has nothing to do with your skill level, and everything to do with your attitude. You have misconceptions about what your even doing, are you painting this picture to learn about painting, or are you painting it to make a perfect piece, that took months to render, and still looks like crap because you don't know how to paint, just how to smudge paint over 3d renders, which is teaching you jack. Don't over invest in any one piece, spread it out, do studies of everything that interests you, paint not to finish the piece, but to just learn something new.

You need an attitude adjustment, bottom line, and with your "defensor" attitude, your coming across pretty frickin' thick my dude.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    ".At least velocity took it on putting his credibility on the line"

HA Im a 30 year old man who wears an orange roadworkers jumpsuit as an item of daily clothing and skates through traffic looking like an orange tampon every day.
    The other night I got so drunk I passed out in a field and got woken up by a cow trying to eat the tobacco in my pockets. That or give me a blowy. You have any idea how much snot comes out of a cows face when the corpse its nuzzling suddenly screams in terror and slaps it on the nose? Think jurrassic park bronotosaurus. And then skate home like an orange tampon. covered in cow shit. My point is my credibility is gone. shot to pieces years ago.

i think your hearts in the right place but you need to work on the abrasive, i want pro tips and i wont stop mouthing off till i get em attitude. i am a pro, at least in as much as people pay me, the credulous saps. but yeah it is still fun.
    as a special favour to me, try actually for once taking some advice that your given by these people, theyre not yanking your chain or trying to embarass you. because dude. seriously. this painting eats at the moment, and you cant see anything wrong with it, which if your serious about improving is like having Yoda tell you about the Force and you going aro9und using it to torture small animals. Its exactly like that. The simile is uncanny.
    Spooky even. How can you live with yourself? What did those baby creatures ever do to you?

this, yeah my 15 minute scribbleover aint much to write home about. We need Venger or Javier P on the case those guys youd better listen to. Even if you ignore the rest of us, listen to Venger Giocomo and javierP those dudes are sick.
    this had me lmao for realz whew...ok
    yeah the painting you did, like I said that is something I would have done a month ago..since people have been critiquing me though they would scream to high heaven if I showed them something like that..who on earth is venger and javier?...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    Hey Zoe, just out of curiosity, what is it you want to do with your art? Are you a hobbyist who just wants to draw what's in his mind occasionally? Or do you aim to be a working professional? I'm asking because the people here are treating you like a professional, but you're responding as a hobbyist. Particularly the part where you said "you guys are falling to hard on rules..there are no rules in art there is no set way to draw anything." sounds like your aim is not to create art of a particular (professional) level. Which is fine, a lot of people treat art as a recreational thing and for them creating work of a certain quality is not important. But if that is you, you probably don't want to be in this section of the forum because I doubt you'll find what you're looking for here.
    Be honest to us and most importantly, be honest to yourself. What do you really want?
    just a hobby,I was getting tired of my stuff always being so dark and stiff..I just wanted to really break past that barrier and I think as a 1st step this picture is worlds better than my old stuff already..so? idk it's just a layout but still I think it has potential once it's completed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailsPace View Post
    Mentally, spiritually, whatever, your just not ready for this. It has nothing to do with your skill level, and everything to do with your attitude. You have misconceptions about what your even doing, are you painting this picture to learn about painting, or are you painting it to make a perfect piece, that took months to render, and still looks like crap because you don't know how to paint, just how to smudge paint over 3d renders, which is teaching you jack. Don't over invest in any one piece, spread it out, do studies of everything that interests you, paint not to finish the piece, but to just learn something new.

You need an attitude adjustment, bottom line, and with your "defensor" attitude, your coming across pretty frickin' thick my dude.
    and this really isn't worth responding to cause I've already said that this is a layout like 20 times..this section is where you post works in progress.....I think somebody got lost on the forums I work from pencil sketches not painting over 3D models that is one of the 1st steps to pose my figures right.Harsh words usually come from a little jealous man so I assume that is exactly what you are sir..My art is far from skill-less or talent-less I just need work on my composition and adding more colors...people are so rude..jesus christ.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this was my last crack at it earlier
    after watching those videos on youtube I'm still not where I want to be with this thing...as soon as I trying to just go ahead and aim the spear at the monster I feel like I lose my diagonal body arch and I wanted that so bad

I did bite the bullet and make him a little smaller so you would be able to see his feet aren't on the ground and he's jumping at the beast.
    aimed the rocks at him to kinda frame the figure

what I'm finding myself struggling with is putting a lot of depth in that ver small amount of space between him and the huge monster..the monster looks like idk..
    like his head from horn to chin would be just a little bigger than the heroes whole body..but if I were to draw people down there I'd want them much smaller than that..I have so many issues with the layout as well as everyone else I thought about doing a different view point but I absolutely love this aerial behind the hero cam..I might just be in an un-winnable situation cause of what I personally want to see..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First I'm going to adress your update.

Good that you resized the hero, it's much clearer that he's in the air now. Still, it's as you suspect, it's an "un-winnable" situation I think. I do that a lot myself. I start stuff and then just realize that I'm trying more than I'm capable of. That's why I have reduced myself to painting nail polish bottles for now.

and this really isn't worth responding to cause I've already said that this is a layout like 20 times..this section is where you post works in progress.....I think somebody got lost on the forums
    This forum's name is "CRITIQUE CENTER & W.I.P. SHOWCASE". Not "or", but "and". Meaning that if you post your works in progress here, you are asking for critiques. If you just want to show your W.I.Ps I suggest that you make a sketchbook instead. The sketchbook forum can be found here. I think that would be better for now. Browse around the other threads in this forum and in the sketchbooks, try to learn from them, read the recommended books and draw, both studies and what you like to draw, like action scenes. Post your progress in your sketchbook. That's what I'm doing, (the aforementioned nail polish), and it's amazing how much you can learn by doing that.
    I think you won't profit much from posting in this forum at this stage, since I think you haven't gotten a feel of this place yet and it'll only cause a lot of friction with long-time members here.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to EagleGrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    and this really isn't worth responding to cause I've already said that this is a layout like 20 times..this section is where you post works in progress.....I think somebody got lost on the forums I work from pencil sketches not painting over 3D models that is one of the 1st steps to pose my figures right.Harsh words usually come from a little jealous man so I assume that is exactly what you are sir..My art is far from skill-less or talent-less I just need work on my composition and adding more colors...people are so rude..jesus christ.
    He said you have an attitude problem, and you do. Try a little modesty. You're not as good as Velocity and Snails was just trying to be helpful. Your assuming that he is "a little jealous man" is nothing short of incredibly childish, not to mention arrogant. Acknowledge that you're not as good as you think you are, that you have a long road of improvement still ahead of you as we all do, and listen to those who spend time of their day trying to help you. Time they could undoubtedly have spent doing something else useful.

Your biggest problem right now is that you're too fond of your own work. You've done something you think is good and you're trying to form everything around that one successful thing, which just isn't going to work. You're only making things more difficult for yourself. You said you were going to start over a few posts back, I wonder if you're really going to. It would definitely be a step in the right direction.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I did bite the bullet and make him a little smaller so you would be able to see his feet aren't on the ground and he's jumping at the beast."

looks way better for it.
    you should try cutting him out and moving him about and resizing him, like you would a collage. really helps to 5 versions and pick the best.

"what I'm finding myself struggling with is putting a lot of depth in that ver small amount of space between him and the huge monster..the monster looks like idk..
    like his head from horn to chin would be just a little bigger than the heroes whole body..but if I were to draw people down there I'd want them much smaller than that"

Atmospheric haze; bring the blacks up and maybe blue them a little to show there are hundreds of metres of air diffusing the light between us and the demon thing.

one other thing the demons face looks like this, althugh i get it that this is an early version subject to (grudging) change

after being critiqued.....

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dear Mr Kendall

as for this little tirade
    "HA Im a 30 year old man who wears an orange roadworkers jumpsuit as an item of daily clothing and skates through traffic looking like an orange tampon every day.
    The other night I got so drunk I passed out in a field and got woken up by a cow trying to eat the tobacco in my pockets. That or give me a blowy. You have any idea how much snot comes out of a cows face when the corpse its nuzzling suddenly screams in terror and slaps it on the nose? Think jurrassic park bronotosaurus. And then skate home like an orange tampon. covered in cow shit. My point is my credibility is gone. shot to pieces years ago."
    I congratulate you wholeheartedly and I knew I had found a kindred spirit in the art world, I just Love you man!! and I am even more proud to know you LOL.
    Interestingly I did a similar thing once, as the company I worked for won a "queens award for exports" long time ago and I was so off my face I too woke up surrounded by a hareem of herfordshire cows, and you are dead right that is an apalling amount of gunge from one animal!

As for the image "IIIzoeIII" mate I honestly think that the left arm should be more in evidence to balance the throw it seems odd for it not to be there. I am glad to see the foreshortening on the spear though it needed that in a big way. The cape or cloak is still an issue as well as it looks like part of the landscape being mostly the same colour as the rocks.

I hope I was of some help during this process and I wish you well with your hobby.

My last word of advice would be to start an account on Deviant art they are more into ass pats and well dones than you get in here. This place gets hard and harsh sometimes and indeed some of my stuff has been totally destroyed however it has been vastly improved with the help and advice I have been given in this forum. Indeed "Artfix" has been a tower of strength for me and i was sad so see your comments about him.
    Enjoy deviant art I really think that is the place for you mate all the best.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a quick bit of air depth

edit Lightship HA HA its ridic isnt it! I thought i was being attacked by aliens!! When I slapped its nose and jumped up shouting in horror they all reared up and ran away farting and pooing and beaming hot streams of steaming piss everywhere! I laughed at them and called them idiots, slipped, pushed my hand into a warm cow pat and stumbled off to where id stashed my board. done a good bit of crying and talking to people who didnt exist to i vaguely recall. me and gwyneth paltrow discussed locations for her new movie being filmed in Cambridge at length. shes a right little flirt old Non Existent Paltrow. thats absinth and red bull for you man. rocketfuel.
    right back at you you funny old bugger btw. to the queens pleasure!

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    who on earth is venger and javier?...
    The guys that provide advice and paintovers you'd better download and save somewhere. I do that.

Just to get you an idea of javiers' feedback:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...87&postcount=6
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...0&postcount=20
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...05&postcount=9

36. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what an excellently apt example LL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say things bluntly sometimes when someone doesn't seem to be listening. And my hope is that the blunt words kind of wake you up. I do it sparingly and knowingly. Actually I'm very sensitive to matters of rudeness because I also dislike rudeness on these forums.

But I always am critical--that's the whole point, or it wouldn't be helpful.

In the end, you're a hobbyist and this is not the place for you I'm afraid. Why should we spend our time helping you when you don't even want to spend the time improving? You can find MANY hobbyists on deviantart.com that will talk with you.

You're asking for advice from professionals so that you can fumble around on your computer when you have nothing better to do? I dunno man, that seems rude to me, to have wasted our time. That would be like me asking a car mechanic for detailed advice on repairing my car, and then I go home and wash my car for fun.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    velocity wins for being the most random human I have ever conversed with.. online anyway

and sorry if I want to get better just for fun..I have been doing the art thing my entire life..literally ever since I could hold a pencil I was trying to draw.I don't have nearly enough money to go to art school or anything like that I just want to improve on a few things..cause since it's not for anyone but me I like my figures and think they are much finer quality than a lot of published stuff..I don't need to be any better to be content with them.I do like to occasionally do an entire piece when I'm not designing characters which is the main thing I do..that and write.All I really want help with is color and composition...I'm like a broken record with that..no need to get all shitty with me about every last aspect of my art it's fine,I know it's fine I don't need anyone to tell me I'm decent I know I'm at deviant art haha.I want to be critiqued but damn some of these peeps are not even trying to be nice about giving advice.I believe in helping and showing a demonstration cause I myself am really visual..I need to SEE something to understand it.I have to go back and read this stuff several times to try and visualize what someone is talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is sort of what one of my models looks like before I start painting it in the puter...I think it is perfectly acceptable to use as a base to paint on.I don't know why people are fussing about that even..it's a damn sketch..really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha cheers
    your biro work is good. why not scan that in and use it as part of the image?
    in fact get a load of paper and design your shot; scribble plan views and side elvations, diagrams, blobs for major componants, all rough and fast as you can, and then as you home in on a really decent Scorcese-esque shot set up THEN start playing with in Photoshop. get the basics strong and youll be cooking on gas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No actually you got me right, I am an angry lil man.

My words are harsh because your ears are closed, as you said, you've been told the same thing 20 times, and as a general rule, if 20 ppl tell you have shit on yer' face, well, then brother, you got some shit on yer' face.

If you want to be a better artist, stfu, and listen to what ppl are suggesting, its for your benefit, not theirs. If you are not driven to improve, then go somewhere else, as someone else said DA is a good place for back patting.

You need to know how to receive a critique, I suggest you you read the thread stickied at the top of the WIP+critique section. Your argumentative stance is non productive and stubborn. So instead of getting a critique on your art, you get one on your attitude.

Your digital art btw, looks like you just started and your smudging paint with a mouse. Its a place to start, but don't stay there. I recognize the techniques because I started that way too. Just keep moving forward. I just hope some of this is getting through.

Sorry for being blunt, but, that is the point.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1