Art: Kevin J. Portfolio (Looking for Feedback)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kevin J. Portfolio (Looking for Feedback)

How's it going CA!

My name is Kevin Jick and I have recently found out about this site and I love reading through the feedback pages. This is my first post here.
    I am attending Art Center College of Design in the Fall of 2012 as an Illustration major, with an emphasis on concept art (entertainment arts as they call it)

I really really would love some feedback on my art because I want to be as good as possible before going to art center (I will have all summer to practice). Right now I feel I have many different issues, but of those I try to consciously fix, I have the most trouble with lighting, color, and at times composition :/

I really want to do concept art, mainly environment art for game companies or for film.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. These are examples of my newest work all this year (2012).

This is a link to my blog where I have all these works and some of my earlier works & such I submitted to art center, if anyone is interested.

http://kevinjickdesign.blogspot.com/

If the images do not come out at a good viewing size I will try to repost.

Cheers.

-Kevin J.

Name:  Week 11 - A.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  Week 5 Final.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  Week 10 - 1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  Week 1 Final.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  Week 6 - 1.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  112.6 KB

Name:  Week 6 - 3.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  126.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You excel at story telling and composition. You images look good in the thumbnails, but when they're zoomed in (on your site) they are pretty sketchy. I think the main issues you have a problem with is edge refinement and highlights. It looks like you need to push harder with your rendering. Take your time going over your finished image checking all of the edges. Clean them up and make sure they're right. Then do the same thing with your highlights. Think in terms of direct light, ambient light, reflected light, rim light, and spectacular highlights. Your work, while good already, will vastly improve.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shorinji Knight, thank you very much for the feedback! I will try to spend more time to really finish my images with more accurate lighting and edge clarity. I'm often working on multiple pieces at a time, and for some reason I don't often bring my pieces to a really tight and finished level.

Thinking in terms of different lighting sounds challenging, but i'll do my best!

Cheers

-Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it doesn't seem you have too much trouble with light to me, i think you just don't know about some aspects of lighting but the school will help you a lot. In the other hands what Shorinji is saying is true, you have to improve details a lot. I can see that youre working this way to keep your images fast and this is good but you really wanto to improve rendering technique (for better reading and impact on the viewer) and remember to add a good amount of details on your subject matter cause our eyes have the tendency to focus on the most detailed thing in front of us in the picture

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Hitsu//San! I had a question as to what would be the best method to practice rendering. Would it be simply doing stills from life over and over? I have been practicing doing movie stills recently, but havent gotten around to the other ones.

I have also started using photo texture in my pieces to achieve a higher level of realism, but i'm not very good at it. Yea I noticed that in some of my pieces my eye was not sticking to the focal point as much as I wanted it to, so that is interesting to hear that it is because of the level of detail. Cool! Time to practice, practice, practice.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you should catch a photocamera, go out and start doing photos to everything you think it's worth a piece. It's better to use real references if you need a subject cause in movies the lighting effects aren't real most of the time. They use lots of tricks to enhance the scene and to know where and when to use that kind of effects you need to learn how light works in nature first. For rendering you have to try to start your drawing loose with no hard edges and refine the overall look at the same time since you think it's in an acceptable level to start adding the huge amount of detail and refinement on the subject. Give you a time (like 1 to 3 hours for a piece) and draw it, try to be aware of the time you have and the time you're spending doing backgrounds and be sure to give the most to the subject, it's a great way to not lose focus.

Hope it helped, if you need anything else i'll be glad to help.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the response Hitsu! I would love to get my work to look more realistic, and i will give what you suggested a shot!

-Kevin J.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,135 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am about to review your portfolio live here: https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?si...692B809BA9E954

I will post the on demand link once it is completed.

Cheers

Jason Manley
    Founder
    ConceptArt.Org
    Brilliant Colors
    The Art Department

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason,

I am honored to have you reviewing my portfolio! I can't wait to hear the critque!

Thanks again,

-Kevin Jick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (If these have been addressed, then please disregard.)

First two things that popped out immediately to me:

Perspective and brush confidence.

If the dream is to be a concept artist, you're gonna need to master perspective. And as a prior fan of "maybe they won't notice my perspective issues," I can see all of the little pieces not fitting together, especially with the overgrown rocky temple

And for brush confidence, the best way to describe is looking at your winter house piece. The tree that's in front of the house looks a bit schmoozed and without sharp crisp edges like you'd see in real life. And this is a whole thing that comes with time, I was told about it a lot and I didn't get it. Best advice is to work with a charcoal brush at 100% opacity and flow and treat it like you're painting/sketching with a pen.

Hope this helps! Coming along nicely.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sizzle, thanks for the reply!

My dream is to be a concept artist or environment artist at a game company like Bethesda. Thanks for catching my perspective mistakes, because I sort of forget about it sometimes. I have a bad habit of not putting on a perspective grid till the painting is already a good ways in, so I am up to work harder on that.

About the brush strokes and rendering aspect, you are totally right, and this was also mentioned earlier, so I know everyone must see it like that :/ but this is great because now I have a direction I know I can improve in.

Right now I mainly paint with standard round, and soft round brushes because I am terrible at making brushes. I have a full custom brush set from another artist, but Im still figuring out how to use them appropriately. I'll give my chalk brush a try.

Thanks!

-Kevin J.

Last edited by kevinj; May 4th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brushes can change your life but only if you can recognize what you need and what for. Other people brushes are useless because probably you don't need the same thing. Anyway the most important point about brushes is to randomly generate details (you know the famous chalk brush right?) but if you're good at using textures you don't need such a thing in every case, more than that if you don't know what you need using random brushes will only confuse you (and if you're confused making a piece then your viewers will be as well).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again Hitsu,

as a safety precaution in the past, i normally just decided to hand paint things instead of using brushes. I've recently started making my own brushes and they have been coming out (close enough) to the type of brush I wanted which is neat.

Now I need to spend more time on my texturing. i've recently been doing sketchbook stuff, but I will try to post soon one of my retouches.

Cheers,

-Kevin J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally like the last two images. Imaginative. Would like to see a finished version if you ever decide to work on them more.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jimshred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Revised Snowy House

Hey guys, sorry for not posting for a bit.

This is one of the revisions I worked on (spent the most time on this one)

Would love to know if I am going in an alright direction

If interested, I will have a higher res version on my blog.
    Cheers!

Name:  Snowy House Final.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  94.2 KB

-Kevin Jick
    kevinjickdesign.blogspot.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm it's better but i think you're going in a wrong direction, i'ts good that you enhanced details but you should put that level of details on the subject.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.