Rob's Brushes
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rob's Brushes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Rob's Brushes

Hello,

I'm having some very severe difficulty getting Robert Chang's custom brushes to work in Painter 12.1.0.1250. Hopefully, somebody can help me.

I'm pretty new to custom brushes, and I've been pointed in the direction of Robert Chang several times. His brushes can be located here:

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...es/goodies.htm

They are for Painter IX, and as far as I am aware, have never updated past what is on this site. Anyway, I'd like to use them, but I cannot get them to work with my new version of Painter. I have tried many, many times now, and with no success. I see a few tutorials here that supposedly help greatly with brush importing and the like, namely this one:

http://skipallenpaints.com/brush-man...-painter-12-1/

Unfortunately, it didn't help me at all. Either I'm not understanding the material given, or something else is preventing these files from working for me.

If anybody could give me a step by step tutorial, or some tips on how to get Robert Chang's brushes to work, I'd be thankful.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Older Brushes aren't very compatible with the new version of Painter.

I even tried installing them on a version of Painter 9 and ran into errors as well.

I'd probably read the brush settings on Rob's site instead to understand how they're made so you can use a variant of the brush yourself and tweak it to how you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old brushes aren't compatible with the newest Painters, eh? Well, I guess that would explain why it isn't working for me. If you loaded them into Painter 9 and it still didn't work, then getting them to work in Painter 12 isn't going to happen. Damn shame.

I'd like to just make them myself, or attempt to, but his site does not tell you the settings. He just gives you a brief visual image of what they do, but not what he set the brushes to. I can't even reverse engineer his brushes because I don't have a version of Painter that is compatible with his brushes to look at the settings with.

Looking down the forums a bit in here, it seems I'm not the only one interested in these brushes.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=235705

I don't think the mystery was ever 100% solved for the original poster, but most people deduced it was Rob's Basic Brush. I'd really love to get a hold of it, amongst his other brushes, but scouring the internet all over, I cannot find versions of his brushes compatible with Painter 12, nor any information at all what the settings are.

You'd figure the information and etc would be readily available, but, no. You would also figure Rob would update his site with his newest brushes and not continue to host ancient files nobody can use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well most are variants of other brushes. You can always look at the XML file to see the tweaks

End "Rob's basic brush" isn't this super secret brush. Most people talk about setting Camelhair to round or circular.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=296876

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 24th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1215 View Post
    Hello,

I'm having some very severe difficulty getting Robert Chang's custom brushes to work in Painter 12.1.0.1250. Hopefully, somebody can help me.

I'm pretty new to custom brushes, and I've been pointed in the direction of Robert Chang several times. His brushes can be located here:

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...es/goodies.htm

They are for Painter IX, and as far as I am aware, have never updated past what is on this site. Anyway, I'd like to use them, but I cannot get them to work with my new version of Painter. I have tried many, many times now, and with no success. I see a few tutorials here that supposedly help greatly with brush importing and the like, namely this one:

http://skipallenpaints.com/brush-man...-painter-12-1/

Unfortunately, it didn't help me at all. Either I'm not understanding the material given, or something else is preventing these files from working for me.

If anybody could give me a step by step tutorial, or some tips on how to get Robert Chang's brushes to work, I'd be thankful.
    Hi BigBlue1215,

I'm using Painter 12.1 (12.1.0.1250) in Windows 7 64 bit.

I've only tested this with one of three Rob Chang brush libraries backed up on my external hard drive, way back when Painter IX.5 was current.

It was simple, it worked, and I was able to use this one brush library in Painter 12.1 (12.1.0.1250). When I have more time, I may test the other two Rob Chang brush libraries but not for a while.

Here's what I did:

1. With Painter 12 closed, I copied all three brush library folders located on my external hard drive.

2. Navigated to the following application/program folder:

C: > Program Files > Corel > Painter 12 > Brushes

3. Pasted all three brush library folders directly into the Brushes folder (highlighted above).

Now I had the following brush libraries in that folder:

RobChangBrushes021805
    Rob's Brush Library121205
    RobsBrushLibrary011506

4. Since I copied and pasted brush libraries, I knew that any brush category folders and same-name 30 x 30 pixel brush category icon images would be safely transported to the correct location and once there, all I'd need to was to launch Painter 12 and load whichever brush library I wanted to use.

So... that's what I did, launched Painter 12, opened the Brush Selector menu (upper right corner), chose the Brush Library command and, from the flyout menu, chose the bottom brush library, RobsBrushLibrary011506 then waited for it to load.

5. Last, I chose one of the painting variants, slapped some colorful brushstrokes onto the Canvas, then chose one of the blending variants and started blending.

Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jin.

I had done that on a previous system and got XML errors but in Painter 12 I also get this confusing craziness where the brush expression doesn't show up.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Nei for that helpful link. It's got a few of the settings for the Rob brushes, which are helpful. I'm aware of that forum, but it seems to have problems loading for me, more times than not.

As for the super secret brush, circular does appear to fit the original poster's desired brush. I'm no expert brush user by any means though, so my opinion on the matter doesn't equate to much, haha!

Thank you Jin for your instructions. It works now! I'm not sure what I did, or didn't do, that it wasn't that simple for me. In any case, it's working just fine now.

I believe I may have the same issue Nei is having though. The Dab and Stroke preview does not seem to work with this brush library. It's turned on, but it doesn't change when I switch to a new brush, or mouse over it in the selection menu. I'd take a screenshot, but Nei's screenshot is basically what I'm seeing too.

Maybe you have a method to resolve this issue?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter has been weird to me the whole time. I found that I've had to place brushes in a place not in "program files> Corel..." On my win 7 machine I had to place them in:
    CUsers\(me)\Appdata\Roaming\Corel\Painter 12\(Me)\Brushes.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    Painter has been weird to me the whole time. I found that I've had to place brushes in a place not in "program files> Corel..." On my win 7 machine I had to place them in:
    CUsers\(me)\Appdata\Roaming\Corel\Painter 12\(Me)\Brushes.
    The reason for that is because of user Profiles in Windows machines that allow it.

If you just put it in the program files location it will show up for all users using your machine. If you just place it in your User directory as you have above, it shows up for your login.

However, with the latest version you can export and import brushes a bit easier. I find it easier once I brought in an old brush library is to save it/export it so that next time I don't have to fiddle with system files

Also Rob's brushes I believe are missing the .nib and .stk files which accounts for why no profile/expression

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 26th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since .NIB and .STK files (used to be, at least) JPG files, I wonder if we could just create them?

It wouldn't be worth the effort unless a single pair of images would do the trick for each variant.

What do you think, guys and gal?

Arshes,

Thanks for the warning. Should have known something like that would happen.

However, I spent a few minutes just now trying to make the Expression control not be there and failed. It was there every time.

I'll try to find time to let you know if I experience that bug or any others. (Not so sure it's a bug.... maybe just something that was programmed differently.. it's been so long since Painter IX.5.)

Jin

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could check and see if I have one of the older files. It looks like from the threads on CG Society at least some of the nib and stk USED to be there. I think Rob may have accidentally made 1 too many revisions on the uploads which is why the nib and stk files are missing in this one. I could have sworn I had some that did have them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The reason for that is because of user Profiles in Windows machines that allow it.

If you just put it in the program files location it will show up for all users using your machine. If you just place it in your User directory as you have above, it shows up for your login.
    This is what I did first and it didn't work. The brushes didn't show up at all. I had to copy them from program files into AppData.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Big Blue,

Sorry my PDF wasn't clear...it's a tough subject. It might have been better to do a video, but it would have been pretty long.

Jin told the best method to use.

Now about the NIB, STK, and JPEG files...they are actually included in the XML file. To share brushes, you only need to share the XML files, which is what Rob did with his brushes.

To get the NIB, STK, and JPEG files to show in Painter 12.1, select each brush variant and go to Brushes > Save Variant and save without making any changes. That will copy the NIB, STK and JPEG files to the folder and Painter will be able to read the NIB and STK files. The JPEG file is only there if it is a captured dab...so there may not be any JPEGs.

Hope this helps,
    Skip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Skip,

Thanks for the "save variant" trick. I wish this wasn't so tedious though. It's quite a few brushes to go back and fix to see their expressions.

It's nice to know newer version of Painter made this easier though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Arshes,

You are welcome. Here is another trick. The files Name.brushlibrary, Name.brushcategory, and Name.brushvariant and package files...meaning the information is collected in painter and placed in a package that we can import and export easily.

This is cool. Change the file extension to zip. Now you can unzip the file and see the contents. You will find the brush folders, jpgs, library folder, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reverse the process...for instance take a brush category folder and the companion jpeg and zip them, then change the extension to brushcategory and have it work. It is probably a good thing. I'm sure I would go in there and mess everything up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Skipa,

Thanks for telling us that technique. It seems to have done the trick, as I can now see what each variant brush looks like. Great job!

One other thing I noticed is that one of the brushes has a bug attached to it. The one in question is Rob's Real Pencil. The bug has to do with this pencil and the eraser. It swaps colors back and forth, even if you change them. It is a well known bug too acknowledged by Rob.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214904

Rob had a file uploaded of this brush that was fixed, but the link to it there is broken and no longer works. Also, I have no idea how to go about fixing the brush myself.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem, or any other issues with the brushes in Painter 12?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is anybody else experiencing this problem, or any other issues with the brushes in Painter 12?
    Since you cannot uncheck the setting where it saves current colors afaik.

This is what you do.

Expand your Brushes Palette. And take a note of the changed settings for this variant. It's a cover Pencil variant.

Now, go to the cover pencils and use Rob's settings.

Save Variant As - "Rob's whatever brush that is causing the problem as the same name" Make sure it does not have use current colors checked on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Skipa,

Thanks for telling us that technique. It seems to have done the trick, as I can now see what each variant brush looks like. Great job!

One other thing I noticed is that one of the brushes has a bug attached to it. The one in question is Rob's Real Pencil. The bug has to do with this pencil and the eraser. It swaps colors back and forth, even if you change them. It is a well known bug too acknowledged by Rob.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214904

Rob had a file uploaded of this brush that was fixed, but the link to it there is broken and no longer works. Also, I have no idea how to go about fixing the brush myself.

Rob's Real Pencil has a SaveColors flag assigned in the variant xml file (Rob's Real Pencil.xml). If you open this file in a suitable text editor (I use TextWrangler on the Mac), then go to line 16 (down from the top). The SaveColors flag can easily be removed by editing the xml and resaving the xml file;

change;
    pen-control-flags="SaveColors">

to;
    pen-control-flags="">

David

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sandman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Nei & Sandman. Those tips helped immensely and now I have access to Rob's Brushes in full with no issues. Thanks a lot!

I have another question relating to brushes, if I may. I'd open a new topic, but since this one is about brushes too, it would just be redundant.

I'm not only new to custom brushes, but brushes in general. I have a somewhat decent grasp of them, but I'm still a novice at best. When I inquired about learning to digitally paint, along with Rob's Brushes, I was pointed in the direction of ctrl+Paint.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

From what I can tell, he has a good grasp of digital painting and in his digital painting 101 lesson, he says it's a good idea to start with basic brushes so you don't make things overcomplicated for yourself. He proceeded to list three easy to use and commonplace Photoshop brushes to train with:

Hard round
    Soft round
    Hard flat

Most of the stuff in his painting tutorials transfer well to Painter, but I have no idea what brushes in Painter are similar to the ones he listed. Might anybody be familiar with these Photoshop brushes that could make a suggestion, please? Also, if any other helpful tutorials like ctrl+Painter exist that cater to Painter, may I have some of those too as well? I find a large deal of similar tutorials are always directed to Photoshop, so I feel extremely left out as a Painter user.

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well for the bottom one you can use Calligraphy brush 20 with opacity set to 10 if you want some easy blending. Well easier.

There is also airbrush for that smooth soft circle. But I like using the "Just add water" Blender. Experimenting with blenders is always fun as well.

There is a basic circle brush in the Tinting library.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 2