Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rob's Brushes

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Hey Skip,

Thanks for the "save variant" trick. I wish this wasn't so tedious though. It's quite a few brushes to go back and fix to see their expressions.

It's nice to know newer version of Painter made this easier though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Arshes,

You are welcome. Here is another trick. The files Name.brushlibrary, Name.brushcategory, and Name.brushvariant and package files...meaning the information is collected in painter and placed in a package that we can import and export easily.

This is cool. Change the file extension to zip. Now you can unzip the file and see the contents. You will find the brush folders, jpgs, library folder, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reverse the process...for instance take a brush category folder and the companion jpeg and zip them, then change the extension to brushcategory and have it work. It is probably a good thing. I'm sure I would go in there and mess everything up.

Thanks
    Hi Skipa,

Thanks for telling us that technique. It seems to have done the trick, as I can now see what each variant brush looks like. Great job!

One other thing I noticed is that one of the brushes has a bug attached to it. The one in question is Rob's Real Pencil. The bug has to do with this pencil and the eraser. It swaps colors back and forth, even if you change them. It is a well known bug too acknowledged by Rob.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214904

Rob had a file uploaded of this brush that was fixed, but the link to it there is broken and no longer works. Also, I have no idea how to go about fixing the brush myself.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem, or any other issues with the brushes in Painter 12?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1215 View Post

Is anybody else experiencing this problem, or any other issues with the brushes in Painter 12?
    Since you cannot uncheck the setting where it saves current colors afaik.

This is what you do.

Expand your Brushes Palette. And take a note of the changed settings for this variant. It's a cover Pencil variant.

Now, go to the cover pencils and use Rob's settings.

Save Variant As - "Rob's whatever brush that is causing the problem as the same name" Make sure it does not have use current colors checked on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1215 View Post
    Hi Skipa,

Thanks for telling us that technique. It seems to have done the trick, as I can now see what each variant brush looks like. Great job!

One other thing I noticed is that one of the brushes has a bug attached to it. The one in question is Rob's Real Pencil. The bug has to do with this pencil and the eraser. It swaps colors back and forth, even if you change them. It is a well known bug too acknowledged by Rob.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214904

Rob had a file uploaded of this brush that was fixed, but the link to it there is broken and no longer works. Also, I have no idea how to go about fixing the brush myself.

Rob's Real Pencil has a SaveColors flag assigned in the variant xml file (Rob's Real Pencil.xml). If you open this file in a suitable text editor (I use TextWrangler on the Mac), then go to line 16 (down from the top). The SaveColors flag can easily be removed by editing the xml and resaving the xml file;

change;
    pen-control-flags="SaveColors">

to;
    pen-control-flags="">

David

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sandman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Nei & Sandman. Those tips helped immensely and now I have access to Rob's Brushes in full with no issues. Thanks a lot!

I have another question relating to brushes, if I may. I'd open a new topic, but since this one is about brushes too, it would just be redundant.

I'm not only new to custom brushes, but brushes in general. I have a somewhat decent grasp of them, but I'm still a novice at best. When I inquired about learning to digitally paint, along with Rob's Brushes, I was pointed in the direction of ctrl+Paint.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

From what I can tell, he has a good grasp of digital painting and in his digital painting 101 lesson, he says it's a good idea to start with basic brushes so you don't make things overcomplicated for yourself. He proceeded to list three easy to use and commonplace Photoshop brushes to train with:

Hard round
    Soft round
    Hard flat

Rob's Brushes

Most of the stuff in his painting tutorials transfer well to Painter, but I have no idea what brushes in Painter are similar to the ones he listed. Might anybody be familiar with these Photoshop brushes that could make a suggestion, please? Also, if any other helpful tutorials like ctrl+Painter exist that cater to Painter, may I have some of those too as well? I find a large deal of similar tutorials are always directed to Photoshop, so I feel extremely left out as a Painter user.

Thanks
    Well for the bottom one you can use Calligraphy brush 20 with opacity set to 10 if you want some easy blending. Well easier.

There is also airbrush for that smooth soft circle. But I like using the "Just add water" Blender. Experimenting with blenders is always fun as well.

There is a basic circle brush in the Tinting library.

My observational skills may be great but I said nothing about my drawing skills

Art Station
    Working Years
    My Blog/Tumblr
    College Years
    Highschool Years

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 3