Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, these are real.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I'll be right back, I just gotta go commit genocide, rape a few orphans, tell people that the cure to aids is to have sex with virgins, explain to millions of people that condoms and gays are sinful, rob an old lady, lend trillions of dollars to people who cant possibly pay me back and then sell all my debt, enslave some children in some sweat shops and force them to be soldiers on the weekend, suppress some Libyans, take part a race war by attacking civilians, occupy a country and force my army to disarm roadside bombs and blow their arms off and then give them meagre aftercare and almost no compensation, manufacture some radioactive baby milk, torture some prisoners with pliers and jump cables, keep some other prisoners in solitary confinement for years, and murder some prostitutes.
    Its such a busy schedule being all that is wrong with mankind.
    You seem troubled. Here, have a picture of a giant stonefish!

Yes, these are real.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I guess I haven't done anything dumb on the Internet for a while, so I'm going to post here.

I think the reaction to Barefoot's opinion is a little bit much. I had the impression that CA.org was just a bunch of lovely artists who tried to be decent folk, but it can get ugly fast. The problem isn't with any one post here, but with the sheer quantity of them, if that makes sense.

Plenty of people have irrational fears, often ones they cannot help. If you don't like giant bats, I'm glad you're not around any. If Barefoot had actually killed some poor creature (which he has not) just because he didn't like it, that could be worthy of admonition, but probably not by any of us. Probably by whoever protects endangered species. Really, a bunch of strangers ganging up on some random person for their opinion is kinda... mean.

Now I'll get off my pompous soapbox, because I'm just another random person from teh interwebs, whose opinion is likely worth less than the time it took to write it down and goodness knows I'm no professor of ethics anyway.

I agree with Whirly, though - the idea of a bat that can give human-size hugs may be the cutest thing ever, along with bats in general. One time on the job I ran across a little bat clinging onto a tree. It didn't seem to care about how close I got, so I took a couple cellphone pictures and spent a good deal of time looking at it. My evil human curiosity made me prod it (gently! I promise!) with a stick to see if it was alive. I think it gave me approximately the same look I would give someone else if they poked me with a stick while I was resting. (I feel bad. Won't do it again.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    It's the same thing with spiders. Some people can hate me but if I saw a Tarantula which is deemed as relatively harmless crawling around my house I would get a shoe and smash it to pieces while screaming then go running out of the house still creeped out. I hate spiders with a passion, I'm not going to go out murdering them. But they still trigger a fear response once they reach a certain size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean3d View Post
    Really, a bunch of strangers ganging up on some random person for their opinion is kinda... mean
    I appreciate your post, but I'd like to reply that I don't think its
    so much a case of ganging up. When you make a thread on a
    forum, voicing your opinion, you are inviting a discussion and
    sometimes those opinions have the ability to raise tempers
    and strong feelings depending on the subject matter.

Animals are going extinct, in my country, rhinos are being
    butchered by the hundreds, recently a mother was butchered
    in front of her calf. Not enough is being done to protect nature,
    its left to the man on the street to speak out against the cruelty
    and slaughter that is happening daily, all in the name of money.
    So when someone claims to be happy that a species is endangered
    and that they would gladly kill an animal that does not even hurt
    people, it is little wonder that the reaction of most sane folks is
    one of disgust.

And the whole 'bunch of strangers' argument is not entirely true here
    all the time. Sure we may not have met in person, but many of us here
    know each other at least on some personal level so as not to be strangers.

I speak to people here the same way I do in real life, I stand firm, I'm
    not rude without reason, but I don't take shit and sometimes, some folks
    just need a strong dose of reality.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I'll be right back, I just gotta go commit genocide, rape a few orphans, tell people that the cure to aids is to have sex with virgins, explain to millions of people that condoms and gays are sinful, rob an old lady, lend trillions of dollars to people who cant possibly pay me back and then sell all my debt, enslave some children in some sweat shops and force them to be soldiers on the weekend, suppress some Libyans, take part a race war by attacking civilians, occupy a country and force my army to disarm roadside bombs and blow their arms off and then give them meagre aftercare and almost no compensation, manufacture some radioactive baby milk, torture some prisoners with pliers and jump cables, keep some other prisoners in solitary confinement for years, and murder some prostitutes.
    Its such a busy schedule being all that is wrong with mankind.
    The right thing to post would be "Wow. I'm Sorry. I didn't mean to come off like that. I was talking out of my ass." Then call it a day.

As it stands now, you're making posts that you'll be embarrassed of when you look back on them a few years down the road. Stop digging.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,022 Posts
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteropus:
    Status

Many species are threatened today with extinction, and in particular in the Pacific a number of species have died out as a result of over-harvesting for human consumption. In the Marianas flying fox meat is considered a delicacy, which led to a large commercial trade. In 1989 all species of Pteropus were placed on Appendix II of Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and at least seven on Appendix I, which restricts international trade. The subspecies P. hypomelanus maris of the Maldives is considered endangered due to limited distribution and excessive culling. The commerce in fruit bats continues either illegally or because of inadequate restrictions. Local farmers may also attack the bats because they feed in their plantations, and in some cultures it is believed their meat can cure asthma. Non-human predators include birds of prey, snakes, and other mammals.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I rest my fucking case.

Thanks
    Bat Conservation International's page on their programs in the Philippines:
    http://www.batcon.org/index.php/what...ilippines.html
    The 7,107 islands of the Philippines one of the world's top ten biodiversity "hotspots" are home to a diverse and invaluable community of 74 species of bats. But their very existence is threatened every day. Philippine bats are relentlessly hunted as bushmeat, and their cave roosts are lost to improper guano mining, recreational caving and the commercial harvesting of swiftlet nests used in bird-nest soup. Their populations are declining throughout the islands.

Bat Conservation International has been working with dedicated partners in the Philippines since 2006 to reverse the dire threats to these bats through conservation, education and research.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Barefoot: as the other people above I see nothing wrong with pteropodids. You might want to go out, cool off for a bit, and then inform yourself about the animal instead of overreacting to how it looks.

Now some love for weird animals. These did indeed take me aback when I discovered they existed but I dealt with the situation by searching for more information on them.

Yes, these are real.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_Loaghtan
    There are a good number of sheep breeds selected for four horns and goats aren't immune to it. The more you know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9o4VnfHJU
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macropinna_microstoma
    This one just plays with your expectations: the eyes don't look like eyes and what looks like eyes are actually the nostrils.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracontes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Being called out for saying stupid stuff, and having our stupidity explained to us, is how we learn not to be stupid.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    It's the same thing with spiders. Some people can hate me but if I saw a Tarantula which is deemed as relatively harmless crawling around my house I would get a shoe and smash it to pieces while screaming then go running out of the house still creeped out. I hate spiders with a passion, I'm not going to go out murdering them. But they still trigger a fear response once they reach a certain size.
    Except insects don't feel pain the way a fruit bat would. They don't have the equipment necessary nor show the same response to stimulus as higher order species. It's not as big of an ethical conundrum. Though bugs are still living creatures.

But I get what you're saying, people have irrational fears of other species. In OP's case, it's like joking about killing an endangered Great Dane because it's bigger and scarier than a chihuahua.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,854 Times in 3,958 Posts
    When I was in Malaysia it was a standing joke that if you couldn't identify the snake that bit you, you had to run after it, catch it and take it to hospital with you. There were some species that they'd only found one of. And I still like snakes.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Obviously there's the main issue of population effecting ethics.

No one wants a species to go extinct (or they shouldn't) then there's obviously more ethics with that. Once again insects but I would genocide stinkbugs in a heartbeat. They're at plague levels.

But also why I don't have an issue with say killing deer as long as it's not to extinction. In fact I hate deer now. They're beautiful creatures but they're everywhere, tick carriers and spread lymes. When something is overpopulated there's little issue, when something is facing extinction there's huge issues.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast