Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Somebody has never heard of exposure therapy or Systematic desensitization and other psychological treatments to help patients overcome phobias.
    I guess bad wording with that sentence.

Yes, you can cure one. But that costs money and an actual drive to want to face it. Which if it's not debilitating in the everyday life I know few people who would want to pay someone to face that fear.

If your forced into an environment it helps solve it naturally but doesn't always get rid of it. I used to have a terrifying fear of wasps and bees. I couldn't even be in the same room as one. I was in a room with a skylight out of reach where there was a tiny wasp there. I couldn't do anything. Every 5 seconds I'd hear it buzz and I'd be peeking at it in my peripherals. It's not rational but I was afraid of that mostly harmless bug, so much I couldn't even get rid of it. (Though I've had bees sting me before when I was just sitting at my desk doing nothing, what are the chances). It got better the more I had to deal with them at least but I still can't really be around them but I'll at least try to get it out a window or if I can't I squish em =/

The same as someone who's afraid of a mouse would scream "Kill it kill it" even though that mouse won't do anything to them. It's a phobia. Unless someones in an environment where they're constantly introduced to something or pay someone they can't help having that fear. It's still irrational.
    Last edited by JFierce; April 26th, 2012 at 04:03 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Nope. Not cute. I kill them. I do not like them at all.
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Cockroach? Nah.

The giant weta? Oh yes.

Yes, these are real.
    Yes, these are real.

This one's also endangered, by the way.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Cockroach? Nah.
    The giant weta? Oh yes.
    This one's also endangered, by the way.
    Similar to the Parktown prawn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parktown_prawn) and indeed in the same family of Orthoptera. Our prawns ain't quite as big though! But very beautiful insects, a bit like arthropod dinosaurs. :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    You guys wouldn't know cute if it ate your face.

Yes, these are real.
    Yes, these are real.
    Yes, these are real.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Somebody has never heard of exposure therapy or Systematic desensitization and other psychological treatments to help patients overcome phobias.
    I was "lucky" to get a school intern job at the local natural history museum. For three weeks I had to handle dead spider specimens daily for several hours (changed new name tags for them) and every time the dead spider almost got pulled out from the tube I started to hyperventilate a totally froze up
    But you know, after that my arachnophobia problem had decreased quite a bit.
    Attachment 1468255 Attachment 1468256
    Yes, these are real. Yes, these are real.
    Yes, these are real. Yes, these are real.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

12. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Everyone always picks the cute ones.
    But me and my friend play this little game where randomly on Facebook out of nowhere we'll disguise a link in a status update and he'll post ridiculous hornets or bees that freak me out and I post spiders that freak him out. (Though searching through scary spiders on google images still makes my skin crawl .... )

Still doesn't make me not want to burn something like this with fire if it comes anywhere near me.

Yes, these are real.

I'm sorry but you could never desensitize me to not be affected by a ridiculously large spider.
    Even if I was in contact with it a lot I would be in pure terror every time it touched me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Everybody's favourite is the naked molerat...

Yes, these are real.
    I thought these things only existed in fallout 3
    Yes, these are real.
    I think I put them into extinction.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Still doesn't make me not want to burn something like this with fire if it comes anywhere near me.
    I'm sorry but you could never desensitize me to not be affected by a ridiculously large spider.
    Even if I was in contact with it a lot I would be in pure terror every time it touched me.
    I'd argue that "I find it scary" is not an adequate justification for killing a living creature.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    What you need is a friendly solifugid. It can fuck up any spider 6-0.

Yes, these are real.

Yes, these are real.

Yes, these are real.

Yes, these are real.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,458 Posts
    camel spiders look badass but they occupy the same niche as like mice or something. i love the sense whiskers all over the front legs.

naked mole rats are the only eusocial mammals, ie they live in hives. creepy. cute.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,458 Posts
    ill kill or at least do my best to evade anything thats trying to kill me, but i wont feel good about killing really. i shot a pigeon with an air gun once when i was a kid and it fell down bleeding and flapping about and i picked it up and all this hot warm blood was coming out of its back and it was going spastic so i had to cock the gun again and shoot it in the head but then its eye and a lot more blood came out and it still didnt die so i had to cock the gun and shoot it again and finally it stopped moving and i was left with the broken remains of what earlier had been a harmless beautiful living thing leaking piss-warm blood all over my hands and jeans and there and then i knew id never take pleasure in killing ever again.
    it was a lot like that episode of the simpsons where bart does the exact same thing round nelsons house, only without the plague of lizards.

what ticks me off is when i see on the news some fucking fat american hunt prick has shot the largest bear ever, or the largest wild boar ever. And its the size of a car and was clearly one of natures most majestic sights, and has now been transofrmed by some groteque fat Bobby Bachala into a big dead pile of rotting meat.
    its like posing next to the mona lisa after youve smeared your shit all over it. it fucking baffles and enrages me how the first instinct when people find some huge old amazing animal is immediately terminate its life and pose next to its cooling corpse. its the exact opposite of artistic creation.
    and no i dont like taxidermically preserved game animals, and no i dont think pictures of them will convince me othewise. not even really cute ones of foxes or scampering meerkats somehow caught in amazingly lifelike poses. if you like hunting, for the satisfaction it brings you to kill another living thing, then you can suck my balls, basically.

mind you you probably can go too far the other way. i mean, i killed a wasp nest in the eaves of my house last summer because every night at about 4:27am theyd all come out and start swarming all over the window and trying to get in round the rubber seal, and im allergic to the fuckers and swell up like a balloon if ive been foolish enought o smoke a j and not shut the window, so if i get stung by the 40 or 50 wasps that are trying to get in at 4.27 ill die. but i felt really bad. killing the whole nest is killing the animal. and that bloodline winds its way back and back, through last year and victorian times and biblical times right back to the first animals on land, and then back to the cambrian life explosion, and back so some tidal swamp on the rocky shore of some barren supercontinent billions of years ago. and i just ended it. and thats a heavy responsibility.
    then im like fuck that no it isnt theyre gross bugs fuck em. you just got darwinated bitches!
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 26th, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    naked mole rats are the only eusocial mammals, ie they live in hives. creepy. cute.
    Whoa. I googled and they even have a queen.

The fuzzy mole rats are a bit less alien creeper, a bit more cute, though.

http://www.livescience.com/4026-lazy...rve-queen.html

22. The Following User Says Thank You to habrok For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast