Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laptops?

Thanks

Laptops?

I'm want to get a laptop, and use it for painting on location in the evenings.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or things to look for? I don't know much about laptops, but I really want one with a good monitor, long lasting bateries, and wireless capabilities are an option.

Mostly it will be used for painting.

What I'm considering:

Dell Inspirion 5150
    Mobile Intel® Pentium 4 Processor with HT, 3.06GHz, 15 inch XGA
    512 ram
    4x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R)
    64MB DDR NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4x Graphics
    14.1” and 15” XGA Display
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just got a spiffy laptop as a second computer. It's a Sony Vaio, and it's nice and light but pretty pricey too. With Sony you're paying a surcharge for the name and the outer design of their products. The Dell you listed has good specs it seems and would run photoshop quite nicely. One thing you might want to look into though since you said it was mostly for drawing is a Tablet PC. Seems to me running photoshop on a tablet PC would be much like using a Wacom Cintiq, only a bit cheaper. does anyone know if the Tablet PC's have pressure sensitivity? Even if they don't though, it would be worth considering

Thanks
    Hey man, I'm in the same situation. I'm currently looking into laptops that I can draw on like a wacom and stuff. Here are some sites that I'm looking into right now.

IBM ThinkPad pretty light

Tablet PC Sager

Not very portable, but powerful laptops!

Pretty good Centrino Sager laptop

For me, I'll probably be using it for taking notes as well, so battery life, weight and power is what I'm considering. I'm not sure if I would go for a tablet pc right now because it seems that they are not as powerful, and many of them don't have mobile video cards.

Also, if you're buying a laptop, I would suggest a processsor that is either Centrino or M because they use less energy (thus longer battery life). I see that your opting for a 3.0 ghz processor, my suggestion is get a slower processor like 2.4 ghz and put in more ram (like a gig).

Hope this helps. Cheers.

LL
    Last edited by mogando25; May 29th, 2004 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    i just got an uber machine from gateway. they kept messing up on my old one so my mom b*tched them out for a few hours and.... like they say.... the squeaky wheel gets oiled. they sent me a brand new laptop. panoramic high def monitor, DUAL P4 2.8GHz HT processors, 1Gig ram (with room for up to 2 gigs), and radeon 9600 pro vid card. bluetooth ready and all the bells and whistles. retail price $2700. lucky i didnt have to pay anything. i can multitask like there is no tomorrow and it never crashes. i highly recommend this setup.
    We the unwilling, Led by the unknowing, Are doing the impossible, For the ungrateful. We have done so much, For so long, With so little, We are now qualified to do ANYTHING with NOTHING!

Jabajawoolu's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    i have been painting almost solely on a laptop for the past year.

the key to the laptop is the MONITOR and Video Card. If you are painting then you need a card with color adjustment capabilities as a tool so you can calibrate it visually to your home machine. The monitor is key because you want one bright and also high rez.

XGA and TFT monitors are the LOWEST RESOLUTION. They have lots of visible pixels. Crisp lines are impossible. Edge making ability is narrower.

the SXGA is the upgrade from the xga/tft combo. It is a nice balance of crispness and usablity. (see below)

the UXGA is ultra sharp. I can not see pixels too clearly and it is very very crisp. however it is so high rez that little things like grabbing the points during scaling in painter or using the slider bars become a challenge that takes getting used to. using a lower rez setting actually makes mine blur slightly. it is ultra high crisp or none. I got used to it.

be sure you test them out....some have better color depth than others. some are brighter and have better range of value.

Thanks
    Re: battery life / centrino/M processors...
    If you want a long-lasting battery, you should go for a Pentium M processor. That's what it's called. It's using Centrino technology, which is supposed to consume less energy than a "normal" processor. Oh, and don't confuse these Pentium M processors with the Pentium 4 Mobile ones, or whatever they're called.

Sure, most Pentium M processors clock in at 1.4 GHz, while the standard for Pentium 4 may be 2.6 GHz or so. But...the Pentium M has 1024 kB L2 cache, which should speed things up a bit compared to the P4 which has like...256 kB? And the battery life should be a lot better. I would guess around 3 hours for a Pentium 4 laptop and almost 5 hours for a Pentium M.

I have ordered an Acer TravelMate TM291LCi. As I don't paint anything, I didn't care about an extra good monitor or video card. Running more than 1024x768 on a 15" monitor is...well...hard...anyway, so that doesn't really interest me. And, video card...I'm not sure if what Jason says is true or not. Color adjustment stuff is, if I'm correct, just software, meaning you can probably get something similar for a built-in video chip.

Thanks
    Hey Jason, I have 3 questions for you:

1. What laptop are you currently using?

2. Do you think that a tablet pc is a good idea for drawing and painting?

3. Do you just have a normal laptop and use a wacom?

Thanks.

Thanks
    This is where I wade in and get slaughtered.

Mac G4 powerbook 17 INCH display, tons of real estate

go ahead shoot me now you PC cowboys

peace
    Dan

Thanks
    heheh No offense, I love Macs and use them at work... and had one at home until about a year and a half ago, but you can get much more for your money on the PC side than on the mac side. Thats a simple fact. Now if you wanna look cool and have a nice titanium notebook... thats another story

Thanks

I will probably order my Dell online, so I wont get the chance to see how the monitor looks.

What is the size of the tablet you carry? Is there a big difference in accuracy between the Graphite and the Intiuos tablets by wacom?

Last question: Does it matter if I have a 64 or 32MB video card? I just want to paint on it...no games.
    Last edited by otis; May 29th, 2004 at 02:49 PM.
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    haha, theyll have to shoot me too Dan

Im with ya on that.
    just got that 17" powerbook after graduation a couple weeks ago.

i think we can block their bullets with it.

Thanks
    apple monitors are the same as the lowest rez pc monitors. big real estate. big pixels.

check out the one on www.boxxtechnologies.com that laptop is badass. I am getting it. it is by far the best laptop workstation on the market. I was down there the other day to meet them and saw it. I am selling my dell immediately. Im going BOXX. it has the number pad on the keyboard too. and its LOADED. in a few months they will have open gl and you can do 3d if you want. boxx rokks.

I use a dell inspiron 8500 widescreen 15.4 uxga. it has a 128 meg video card and a gig of ram.

sean... get a 128 meg card with lots of color controls. you will kick yourself in the ass later. a thirty two meg card is a POS compared to what is out now. my old thirty two meg card couldnt adjust colors well.

graphire tablets are toys. TOYS TOYS TOYS. not bad for the kiddos. bad for the pros.

j

Thanks
    Besides the muscle and speed, does the screen look better than your Dell? A bit pricey.
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    read my first post sean....that monitor is a widescreen sxga.

that is my dream laptop there at boxx. pricey...but it is top o the line. its the apple eater in all respects.

j

Thanks
    Pontemonti ... you are definitely right on the processor/battery life. avoid P4 desktop replacements at all cost. my old laptop had a P4 2GHz processor. ate the battery for brunch. My new one is running dual P4s but with better power management so im still going for mid-afternoon tea. but several friends are running the M and they are still going well past lunch.

Dan, I must agree on the powerbook. love those things. but for the cost, you get a lot more with PC. problem is that you trade in stability for "user friendly" which is making things really not so user friendly anymore.

morgando... cant get the link on their site to pull up the laptop. really wanna see that thing. can get ur link to work no problem. just the internal one
    We the unwilling, Led by the unknowing, Are doing the impossible, For the ungrateful. We have done so much, For so long, With so little, We are now qualified to do ANYTHING with NOTHING!

Jabajawoolu's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ok so I tried the links again, you're right the first one doesn't work.

Ok second go. Here's the actual link. If it doesn't work then go to http://www.notebookreview.com/ and search IBM ThinkPad T30 2367. Hope this link works.

http://www.notebookreview.com/search...+14%2E1%22+TFT

Edit: Ok I think the site doesn't let direct linking or something, so just go to notebookreview.com and search for the laptop instead. Sorry.

Thanks JABAJAWOOLU for telling me about the broken link.
    Last edited by mogando25; May 30th, 2004 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    I agree with Jason. I have been on a laptop exclusively (outside of my day job) for 6 months now.... I went with an ALienware 51M. It rocks HOWEVER the display ccomes preset to an amazingly craptastic setting. I downloaded PowerStrip and it works great!!!

http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx

Nice machine and you can swap out the Graphics cards yourself. It's modular...

ALSO- check out the electrovaya tablet PC's... the aren't as fast processor wise BUT they have decent pressure sensitivity on the screen AND the battery lasts.... up to 15 hours!!!

Really neat machine.

Thanks
    Originally posted by stalecracker
    I agree with Jason. I have been on a laptop exclusively (outside of my day job) for 6 months now.... I went with an ALienware 51M. It rocks HOWEVER the display ccomes preset to an amazingly craptastic setting. I downloaded PowerStrip and it works great!!!

http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx

Nice machine and you can swap out the Graphics cards yourself. It's modular...

ALSO- check out the electrovaya tablet PC's... the aren't as fast processor wise BUT they have decent pressure sensitivity on the screen AND the battery lasts.... up to 15 hours!!!

Really neat machine.

That is the machine I wanted until I saw the BOXX Technololgies laptop. I like what the boxx is. It is the only workstation laptop (usable for work with out the cramping of a laptop) which I really really liked. Two hard drives...enough ram to remember anything...and the screen and keyboard was great. www.boxxtechnologies.com

a great thing about boxx...they support what we are doing here on conceptart.org. they are bringing some of their machines for use at the workshop. Alienware wasn't interested.

That laptop is great. I wanted the alienware hardcore...just saw that boxx and I wont be getting anything but that one..whether they support ca or not. that machine is tight.

I am going to ask them about doing a group buy.

yum

j

Thanks
    That SUX about Alienware. I dig my machine but that box looks SWEET!!! Pricey, but I bet it's worth it. THe screen size is nice too. My 51 has a 16.1... the BOXX is bigger by an inch!!! Nice.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Dan Milligan
    This is where I wade in and get slaughtered.

Mac G4 powerbook 17 INCH display, tons of real estate

go ahead shoot me now you PC cowboys

peace
    Dan
    mines 15 inch, but its so amazing. It acctually hasnt crashed on me once and ive had it for... half a year. The only thing that even happend is i had a couple of apps crash but its very rare and hasnt been anything major, evar. Oh and i use it every day. Im totally in love with it.

oh yerah and i pimped out the ram, so i got a gig now, it runs really smooth.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Hey Red,

Same here, OSX is rock solid. I have been literally problem free for three years!!!!! I love my Macs.

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    So do I Dan. Mine isn't as new as a G5, but with good ole OSX, my puppies still running beautifully.

Macs are dope!

Iwasink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    i like the macs too...just wish the monitors werent low rez and pixelated.

they could cut costs by getting rid of the glowy adjustable light keyboard that doesnt actually work.

shave some costs...put a good monitor instead...then I am on it. Dan you will have to check out the boxx machine when you are here.

j

Thanks
    I don't know much a/b comps but I know that I have new an iBook G4 and it's preaty sweet, I've gotten along just fine making art on the Adobe photoshop 2 Elements
    which came with my EPSON PERFECTION 3170 PHOTO scanner. the problem is that the new mac OS does not work well with the scanner. It works fine with my Mac OSX but every time I use it on the iBook it quits on me a/b 50% of the time when scanning in something.
    If I manage to scan something in I have to save it immediatley.
    Usual I only scan in one thing at once so it still works fine for me, plus it scans much more quickly on my iBook than my regular Mac OSX comp

People are always telling me that Macs suck,
    I don't get it, could someone tell me why Macs Suck so Much?

Mine is really easy to use and I have no problem with it :confused:
    I use my Mac mostly for
    iTunes
    GarageBand
    Rossetta Stone
    Adobe 2 Elements
    MSN and Net stuff(w/ an airport).
    =MoK=

Thanks
    Hey Otis, well I just picked up a compaq R3070US.

3.1 ghz
    80 gig HD
    512 Ram
    Windows Pro
    Wireless Net
    64 Mb dedicated ATI Radeon Mobile
    15.4 wide screen
    DVD burner

And it is super quiet, the once catch is that it is a little heavy but whatever.

I don't know if they are still available as to it was shelved at my local computer shop lol.

Thanks
    i find it strange you guys dont make your own computers. here in australia only grannies and unsuspecting parents buy premade stuff like dell etc.

Maybe the computers you get are better there (although we have every computer you guys mentioned here i think).

You can save a lot of money and get a doubly good machine if your prepared to forego warranty....

Cant wait to see that boxx hardware J, ive heard goo things about those.

Thanks
    I think that buying parts separately for laptops and building yourself ends up being much, much more expensive than buying a package? I know that it's alot more expensive to upgrade parts in laptops than PCs, so I think that's why, Form. My fiance builds & upgrades our desktop computers himself, but we're looking into getting a laptop and he's looking at packages.

Thanks
    I'm a bit of a novice with laptops, but it seems that the biggest hurdle with our G3 ibook is that the screen's contrast changes with the viewing angle. Are the boxx laptop screens different?

I'm a big mac fan and I would like nothing better than to replace my old 266 G3 with a new dual-proc G5, but unless my finances change I'll probably be building a pc workstation this fall.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Form: I would buid my own desktop, but to be honest i just wouldnt trust myself with a laptop, the hardware components arent standardised enough, because they keep making the cases smaller and better etc. where as a desktop, its been the same for years. Maybe im wrong though.

bwkeough: Your playing with and ancient g3 laptop, ill tell ya right off the screen aint going to be great simply because its so old. and if you can get a dual g5 desktop go for it, they havent made them as laptops yet however, they overheat I believe.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    hehe

*slaps him self silly*

completely forgot we were talking about laptops

carry on O_o......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast