CHoW#286 :: Aoife & Her Mechanical Guardian - Page 6

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff mates!!! i already fell in love with some specific works. Interesting variation in designs.
    Here something from me.
    keep up the good work!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any coments about the potential of this idea?

I did a lot of sketches and studies but nothing i like too much as to justify the work of finish it.
    About this one, here are two methafors... one is the face half in light, half in shadow to depict her ambiguity and her good/bad potential, the other is the protecting hand of the robot preventing her form a fall. She is high in the trees because she can....regular people can´t, she is far away from being regular people.
    But even if all of that makes sense, i´m not sure if those methafors really relates with the character design. They are more related with a portray, or an illustration iguess...i mean she can't be all day with the face half in shadow or the hand of the robot just bellow her!

Anyway...any C&C are more than welcome as always.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketch so far

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kamilgin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So decided to attempt this one - little time and I can probably not work for on it during the weekend - but this is what I have from the few sketches I've done.

(will get better )

Probably going with the first - that I worked on a bit today (the rest are from some roughs after work on Friday)

Name:  chowornot.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  200.0 KB

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Going through a bit of a tough time with this one. I know what I want but I just can't seem to nail it... Annoying!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff guys, have some crits

Dan Good shapes, i find the 3rd one the most fun, while last one seem the have the most potential

Kamilgin nice bot design and i like the girls silouette, looking forward to seeing it more detailed

Elephant stroke use bigger brushes, when you use small brushes like that it ends up looking scratchy, plus you'll have an easier time approaching Detail, when your shapes are blocked in.

kingkostas nice shape langauge in there, i like it.

Amerasu Good start, although the background is a bit wonky

Mcreation don't shift draw it will hurt your lines in the long run, your piece looks interesting

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Slooooowly. Fixed some tangents and compositional crap (thx elephantstroke for pointing that out), some more detailing and figuring out what to do with the robo-hand.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner her face is stil a tat flat, fix it

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, here's where I'm at as of this morning's train ride in:

Name:  Aoife version 2 WIP3.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  106.2 KB

This one has been a challenge- I'm still trying to get a robot design I'm happy with, and I'm not ruling out some drastic changes before the deadline. Crits and suggestions are welcomed, encouraged, and desperately needed.

Here are a few thoughts on some other works:

KingKostas: Like where you're heading with this- Aoife's face seems a touch off, but I love the pose you've created.

Elephant's Stroke: Nice, I like the thinking behind your piece, and the scratchy line work adds a nice bit of energy to an otherwise pretty static piece. It looks like the mechanical guardian could be more or less a silhouette, with a few bits of detail picked out- that would add a nice bit of mystery.

Kamiglin: Wow, I love that 'bot design- adding the bits of greenery on it is inspired! I'd consider making Aoife a bit bigger or something- I think she's having a hard time competing with all that great detail on your guardian.

Dan Liimata: I like these a lot- #3 is my fave for the guardian, but Aoife's pose looks a bit like she's a model posing at a car show- the other thumbnails suggest their relationship a bit better. \

Geb: fear not, you're rocking this one. The guardian's mask might be a bit distracting, mainly because it's not lit like the rest of his body yet.

Mcreation: Fascinating idea- I applaud your ambition! This is one I'm really curious to see in the finals

As always, the sheer volume of great work here is exciting and humbling.

Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan: I'm a fan of your work and excited to see what you create.

GEB: I love the action in the piece, it looks like a lot of work though. I hope you finish, it's really great.

Kingkostas: Yours reminds me of a disney movie, it makes me nostalgic.

I forgot to save earlier WIPS of my work so the face is quite rendered (I spend far too much time on faces), I've got a robot which is going to be in a backpack she's wearing. I'm thinking of changing that though, hence its current emission...

Name:  robotandgirlWIP1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  111.1 KB

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lucassie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    Pixeltuner her face is stil a tat flat, fix it
    want fries with that? :p

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working slooooowly. Had a lot of trouble finalizing character idea for Aoife...she's a tricky little thing!

More input:

Lucassie: Well, I think it's good that you spend so much time on faces, because her's is absolutely gorgeous. I wish you wouldn't scrap the backpack guardian idea so soon--I'd be really interested in seeing what you come up with. Have you thought up a backstory for Aoife? I feel like at this stage, I can't really see what she's about, so I'll look forward to seeing your progress and what you reveal about her.

Grumbleputty: I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I am REALLY into your concept. Keeping Aoife protected by encasing her in a mechanical womb is a really great idea. You might want to tweak the shape of the guardian, however; the pose looks a little stiff and unnatural, even for a robot. And I'm a little concerned that Aoife doesn't really appear to be floating in the...I guess you'd call it the mechanical amniotic fluid...so much as floating in front of it.

Pixeltuner: Two questions: 1) Is that a rubber ducky in the water? and 2) Is Aoife's hair becoming fire when it hits the water?? Because that looks really cool.

GEB: Great detail work on the guardian. I find the face really intriguing...is it going to be more like a hologram, and can it change expressions? Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I also appreciate the fact that you put Aoife and her guardian in the middle of a battle to illustrate the protective nature of their relationship.

danliimatta: Some fun ideas! While I sincerely appreciate the delightful vulgarity of the second one (penis leash), I'm not sure that Aoife seems young enough. I DO like the bunny-eared one, though...did Aoife graffiti it herself? It's a nice, comedic take on the topic.

Kamilgan: Really inventive structural design for the guardian. Is that a planet in its crotch?

elephant's stroke: Metaphors can be really useful in creating a piece, and I think it's good that you're putting so much thought into them when forming the composition of your piece. However, it's important to be aware that using the shadow metaphor for good and evil/light vs. dark can be a little cliche, so I wouldn't focus on that to carry your piece. You have a good composition beginning there, and the hand underneath her sufficiently reveals the guardian as her protector. I'm only concerned that you won't end up showing at least 3/4 of the character--I'd like to see more of the guardian!

kingkostas: GREAT composition--I find the structure of the guardian to be a really engaging form. Can't say too much more about it at this point as your sketch is still pretty minimal, but it looks like a good start.

mcreation: Nice color scheme...I'm interested in the box forms you've arranged as the guardian, but I personally found it a little difficult to tell that it was the guardian and not a design for the background. I'm sure it will be come less vague as the work comes along, but I'd just be aware of the chances that a guardian made of so many similarly shaped squares might be a little difficult to discern from a building or a background.

Amerasu: I'm getting a bit of a modern Wizard-of-Oz feel with yours...I like the positioning of the characters--Aoife looks like she's making an assessment of some situation and I'm curious as to what it is and what she's thinking. Something about Aoife's form looks just a touch off, however...her body lines don't quite match up. Looking at her shoulders and elbows, she appears to be slouching at somewhat of an angle, but this is not echoed in her feet, which meet at the same horizon line, which wouldn't usually happen. Play with her posture a little. Same thing with the guardian.

Stinkfist: This is a really cute idea. I'm not sure if it's as ambiguous in terms of good vs. evil, but I do like the tender relationship you've created.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kwshutt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update my piece..
    CHoW#286 :: Aoife & Her Mechanical Guardian

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to daniorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kwshutt: Yes it's a ducky ^_^ And the hair and fire thing is an accident I guess, still need to flesh that out properly.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grumbleputty and kwshutt thanks a lot for the feedback, is true about the cliche light and shadow thing, and since i don´t plan to leave like that with the sketchy lines i´ll have to figure how to solve the static/staring issue wich is bothering me too. I´m thinking to go with another idea, but deadline is close.

@daniorr very nice, simple but efective concept, the only thing that feels uncorfortable to me is the round surface she is sitting on, it looks like she could fall the next second (or two). Maybe with just a little adjustment to the shape or an accesorie in the robot to provide her with balance might help.
    @kwshutt, i´m not sure if you are planning to add some volume to your concept, but that will bring them to life.
    @Grumbleputty, you might want to experiment a lot more with highlights,reflections and bouncing light....a good way to have good result in this case, will be to pick the tonal values of a photo of armature being aware of light direction, planes transitions, etc. Also adding photo textures of scratches, dirt, etc with overlay, multiply or whatever will add that density random detail that everything have, and will make it look more believable...very fun to experiment with too. And, since the bubble thing is tranparent, try to preserve some of the colors of the background in the water to integrate it and because is what would happen in real world.
    @pixel, i think is looking better, what about a little fog behind the robot in new left side of the comp, so you detach him form the bg and add a little extra space and atmosphere...."fix it" and don´t forget those fries, ejeje.

Cheers.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Now if we can just sneak through this hell gate unnoticed... Ah shit... Changed things up... Again... She's gunna be on the mechs back now. The idea I've gone with for the guardian is that it contains the essence and character of her dead father, the only being she ever really trusted. And if she doesn't trust something, it generally isn't around for very long...

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elepehant: The idea is to have kind of an enclosed space to guide the comp so I don't think that would work.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner Dooo eeet, and yes!

okay thoughts?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shading and stuff. Ughh...metal is harrrrrd.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to kwshutt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incinerated As if the charging my lazor meme and Disgaea had children?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    Elepehant: The idea is to have kind of an enclosed space to guide the comp so I don't think that would work.
    That makes sense, i guess the line between giving feedback and trying to make others work as one would is very thin sometimes. Anyhow, great concept so far.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm having some issues with the young part - or my influences are something like Etna from Disgaea

As in rather arrogant and spunky - she knows she is strong and that all fear her - but she is still rather silly and as mentioned neutral - so wanted her to be able to do what she wants - in a sense its easy for her to become to adult through it - esp. since I prefer it to be a teenager over a child.

Anyway.

Also changed the angle on Aoife from the thumb from before as I didn't feel the character or the angle.

Name:  chowornot_02.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  226.2 KB

nvm the text, I just planned some hotkeys and was too lazy to remove them, and lack time as I'm working on something else :/

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    geb - sweet concept!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to daniorrr For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you from your feedback, yeahh incinerated, i know, i dont really know how to turn it into a really tridimensional form or if i have the skills for that, but i could tell you i normally dont shift draw, but i was trying to find some forms and clarity so i tried that,
    kwshutt yeah still working on that and wondering if the squared shapes shoul be more tradicional, and whithish stone like, or be semi traslucent as it is but more tridimensional

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elephant's stroke - Running with the metaphor: the way she is turning implies that she's turning towards the darkness, and also away from her guardian, which gives them an interesting love-hate relationship if you wish to develop it.

Pixeltuner Holy crap! How do you work so quickly? I have to commit to just one wip to make any progress at all, and you're casually juggling three wips without breaking a sweat. Major jealousy here
    Something about the girl's face bothers me, but it could just be that she's not my type. Love everything else about it - especially ducky. Ducky should be the real guardian.

kwshutt - I'd like to see more interaction between Aoife and her guardian, unless you wish to accentuate the "robotic" part over the "mother figure" part. At the moment they seem like strangers.

Grumbleputty - your guardian is basically a walking prison, right? He's more designed to keep Aoife contained until she's ready, so maybe some prison or dungeon elements would help the design come together.

Update for my piece; still undecided on colors. Thoughts and crits are greatly appreciated.
    Name:  CHoW---Aoife-wip-3.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  47.8 KB

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    luckily for all you 'whiners' :p I changed the faaaace, and some more polishing and bla.

EDIT: Intothevoid, I just couldn't resist :p

Last edited by Pixeltuner; May 1st, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had huge problems with this one. I think I'm happy with the composition for now, but my character designs are crap, atm. I don't think I'll finish in time.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Stinkfist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adjustment and refinement on the guardian design. and starting on the illustration.

Last edited by Dranyer; May 1st, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Fatum Istum Stultorum ~Durandal
    sketchbook
    Blog
    Available for hire!

55. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dranyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gave it a try, not really liked it but...CHoW#286 :: Aoife & Her Mechanical Guardian

Please, help me get better! SKETCHBOOK

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" - Neil Armstrong

57. The Following User Says Thank You to tamirespp For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4