SharpProductions

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SharpProductions

I want to welcome everyone to our Production team forum for the Summer '04 session. Setting up this forum was Scott Vigil's idea and I'm very excited that we now have a means to communicate before the quarter begins - so thank you Scott!

In this forum, ideas for our group project are welcome.

Some thoughts about the class:
    Historically, the Production Studio classes have tried to do a Pixar-like short which has generally yielded unsatisfactory results because of time and man-power constraints (Pixar generally throws 80 animators at a short with a 2 year timeline, we have ~18 people and 11 weeks). I would ask you to keep in mind that we should scale back our ambition from what this class has attempted to achieve in the past.

In my current Spring '04 quarter we are trying something very different and, so far, it has gone rather well. Instead of making an animated short (a la Pixar), we are simulating an ILM-like experience. The ILM studio is only commissioned to make effects sequences for someone else's movie. Baring this idea in mind, we are not telling a complete story but are creating a short effects clip - in our case, a landing sequence in an Episode II-like environment that has only 4 camera cuts and lasts only 20-30 seconds. Our goal is quality, not quantity, and to create a sequence that is as close to the Hollywood quality bar as possible.

So, please give next quarter's project some thought in advance, as will I, and post your thoughts on this forum.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    SharpProductions

One thought I have for next quarter is to take an old sci fi b-movie and redo its effect scenes a la Star Wars rerelease. This would be an on going project from quarter to quarter until, in the end, we have a complete movie with revamped special effects. I'm looking at this as our way to work on a movie without actually having to film the actors, etc, giving us as near to movie production experience as possible.

The film I'm considering is 1962 East German movie called "First Spaceship On Venus". The project would require us to storyboard new sequences, design new ships and vehicles, and re-invent the surface of a planet and the remants of an ancient, but technologically superior civilization.

Here are a couple of links for the movie (the second one is in German, but has better screenshots):

First Spaceship to Venus

http://www.senseofview.de/review/377

SharpProductions

SharpProductions

--Bruce

Similar Threads
    Last edited by BruceSharp; June 2nd, 2004 at 03:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Forward

Hey this is Scott, I Would like to say welcome to Sharp Productions. As of now i do not know how to put a password on this thred so keep this under wraps. it is strictly for Bruces next quarter production team. This thread is for:
    -submitting new ideas
    -and showing production progress.

If you need a place to keep pictures, might i sudgest Photobucket to link your pictures from, its simple stable, and no frills.

Lets all have fun and make something spectacular!

Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Inkblot Robots daily rampage!

~la bonne nuit ma colombe, Oui?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is Eli Heuer.

Sounds like a fun project. I think Iíve seen First Spaceship On Venus as part of Mystery Science Theater.

I have never done any pre rendered effects work so Iím not sure how far we could take this. Say we took this scene

http://www.eliheuer.com/1stVenus3.jpg

Could we redo everything outside the window? Such as have a redesigned spaceport with buggies driving around and ships landing? That would be a lot of fun particularly conceptualizing new designs for the vehicles and architecture.

I am going to scarecrow tonight so I will try and rent the widescreen version.

I would also like to throw out an idea just incase a majority of the group is as in the dark about doing pre rendered effects as I am. The project would be to create a small Polynesian village that we could view in realtime, possibly with normal maps created in zbrush or Photoshop. Check out these links for an idea of what I am thinking about.

http://www.bookoftiki.com/pics/011.jpg
    http://www.eliheuer.com/trafficisland.jpg
    http://www.the2buds.com/pc/hi/HI_0073.jpg

Also, I know Nate has been thinking up some ideas too, so I encourage him to post about that.

| Myspace | FLICKR The hype is real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did they have the widescreen version at Scarecrow? If not, I've got it. We can arrange a viewing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They did not have it, but a viewing sounds like a good idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to wish everyone in the class the best of luck. I wan't wait to see the complete version.

Bruce rules

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, are you by chance the same Collin that gave a talk on level design a few quarters back?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's the same Collin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is me

that western mod is looking sweet from the last time i saw it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Compositing anyone?

HI y'all scott here, im not sure aobut the rest of you guys, but if we are to do work an old movie we need really good compositors, and personally, i dont think i am one. i wanted to sudgest. Tavernetti is haveing a once-only Combustion class saturday at 10 in room 102 (i think) and i am going to try and make it, id avise everyone else try to be there also if you need to get up to speed on it.

Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Viewing of the movie

I'd like to arrange a viewing of the DVD before the quarter is over for everyone who's interested. The best projector is in 104. Does anyone know whether there is a class in there on Thursday evening or Friday afternoon or evening? These would be the ideal times for me. Let me know what your availability is and what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation

104 is available Monday P.M. and EVE
    Tuesday P.M.
    Friday A.M.

102 is not open in the evenings at all.

Iím going to be at school Sunday. So I could talk with the techs about moving the projector from 102 into one of the unused Mac labs on Tuesday or Friday evening.

By the way Bruce, this quarters production team work is looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    104 is available Monday P.M. and EVE
    Tuesday P.M.
    Friday A.M.

Of these times, Tues PM is best.
    It's possible that I could do Monday PM or Eve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott: I think we will be fine in the compositing department. You seem to know a lot about cg for film, at least more than I do. Also in the other thread Ken said he would do some research before we get started.

Collin: Thanks for your help with unreal and level design. If you want, you can download the final player model and map we put in the make something unreal contest here.

Also, Nate and lindsy, you guys should start posting here. Iíll bug you about it next week.

Last edited by tagHeuer; June 19th, 2004 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a final Tuesday P.M, so if thatís the only time we can do this I will have to make some arrangements with my teacher.

On the other hand, Iím free most of the day Monday so that would work better for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just though of something,

Bruce has a P.M. class on Thursday. There is no Aces meeting that day, so if we start the movie at 4 it will be over by the time mikes class starts.

I say we go with this plan since it works best for Bruce, me and probably everyone else because finals will mostly be over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thursday is complicated

Thursday would be an ideal time but for the fact that studios are closed due to portfolio and I'm unsure of when they open again. Also, the projectors get loaned out to the various departments for the graduating class's show. Finally, I have to pick up my kids on the Eastside by 5:15, which means I can't stay till the end, but I have no problem relying on Eli to hold on to the DVD for me. I don't have an issue trying for Thursday, but we should make sure that we can a) get the room, and b) get the projector.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I talked to the techs. They said that the projectors for portfolio review usually come from the laptop kits and the room should be open by 4.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, thank you Eli. Let's meet at 4pm on Thursday in room 104 for our viewing of "First Spaceship to Venus". Spread the word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thursday after class ehh? okey, cool. i was looking through some prehistoric books and they have some paintings in there that seem perfictly venisian. specifically the plant life. ill bring it on the day of the viewing.

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just told by the techs that they will not be opening the NC lab until 5:45. So I suppose we canít have a viewing tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb

Hey guys,

Sorry about the mix up Thursday.

Here is a concept I took out of my sketchbook. I was searching for a style that is a mix of contemporary ship design and simplistic 60ís era design. I donít like this sketch at all but I thought id post it anyway to get a dialogue going and hopefully get Scott to post some of the concepts he had on Tuesday.

Iím working on some thumbnails and storyboards now that I will post when Iím done rendering them.

SharpProductions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept sketches

Hi there, i have a few ideas i would like to bounce off you guys:

The first picture is of how i imagion the re-entry into venus to be, the ship plummeting through layer upon layer of multi-colored clouds, with the camra shakeing and maby little pieces flakeing off the ships hull.
    And the second is a venusian alien city, pretty forbodeing.
    SharpProductions
    SharpProductions

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the second sketch. Iím wondering, are those structures Venusian built architecture or are they organic blobs the venisonís built a city around? Either way I like the design and basic layout.

The second one is cool too. I donít know if we would want a whole lot of junk flying off the ship. Space travel is often very eloquent and Idealized in the old b movies and it might seem out of place.

Here is a sketch I just finished. I got this idea watching the Empire special edition last weekend, which I could bring to class.

Anyway, the part of the process George Lucas seemed to get very exited about was replacing the boring scenery out-side the windows with new cg. I think we could consider doing something like that.

SharpProductions
    SharpProductions

Last edited by tagHeuer; July 13th, 2004 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another sketch. This time Iím playing with the idea of somehow redoing the black ooze

SharpProductions :beer:

Also

Iíve been thinking that we should go for a mid century modern art style. If we create more contemporary designs they may look out of place.

Last edited by tagHeuer; July 13th, 2004 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Landscaping

I started sketching this in class, and just did some color work in photoshop. I thought it might be interesting, since the planet is basically a redorange dustball? Perhaps having steam pockets that constantly throw dust and crap into the air.. :3 Critique's are welcome and encouraged.. Hopefully it'll be good

SharpProductions

- And the blue light is supposedly the light from the spaceship entering.. o.O;

- Suzy Claflin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey all,
    Seattle sketch night on Saturday, 8pm on capital hill @ Aurafice Cafe

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...901#post260901

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An Organic solution

this woodlike structure is light and very sturty. like a piece of liveing modern art it winds itself around, growing ever so slowly it thrives off of the warmth giving by venuses natual cloud insulation. If any one has a differnt color sceme, i have provided a black and white template too.
    SharpProductionsSharpProductions

Visit my Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SClaflin: I like the idea of having volcanic activity in the environment. Iím not sure we would want three volcanoes going off at once though. Also try putting some more atmospheric perspective into your piece since it doesnít really have a main focal point right now.

Raptor:I like this much more than the first sketch of this structure. I would love to incorporate this into the final design. Keep up the good work, this project seems right up your alley.

Iím not sure about the color pallet, Maybe I will attempt a paint over.

Anyway, Iím going to be at the conceptart Saturday sketch night working on my concepts for class. Anyone else going?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tag: They're not supposed to be valconoes so much as they're like, steam geysers. I'm not totally sure how to explain it but I guess that's one of the flaws in the design ^_^

- I'm not used to making background design so this is a bit out of my comfort zone, still have a lot of things to work on and now that I've looked at it again and again, I start to dislike it more and more.. Ah the joys of being an artist, can never be satisfied I s'pose >3;

Thanks for the tips

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.