Music While Drawing: Yay or Nay? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Don't listen to Motorhead while painting, it just doesn't work.
    WRONG! Last time I painted for 2 hours straight with Death or Glory on repeat, felt a little deaf and stupid afterwards, but it was fun while it lasted. xD

DEATH OR GLORY, DEATH OR GLORY, DEATH OR GLORY....... Yeah, I'm a nerd xD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It definitely helps me to tune out anything going around me and focus solely on what I am working on. For me it is more beneficial as it helps me work and it's not like tat jsut with art, but pretty much any other activity I am doing (such as writing or even mundane things like home repair).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only track I can listen to while working is Bladerunner Blues by Vangelis.

Last edited by Slothboy3000; April 25th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it incredibly hard to draw without music or some other type of noise in the background.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think a much more important question is do musicians draw while playing?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Screw music, to draw properly, I need me a good movie and a simultaneous phone call. ADDlicious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot listen to anything with words in it when I am drawing or painting. That includes audiobooks and the radio, but also songs with lyrics. It causes either a kind of brain crash, or a complete blocking out of one of the two things, because I cannot process both things at the same time - it seems like the part of my brain which deals with language cannot operate at the same time as the part which deals with art. I also can't just stick on any old playlist because, as others have mentioned, the mood changes caused by different music makes my work process kind of screwy.

But I don't like the silence. If there is silence I get fidgety and my mind wanders. So I listen to classical music when I draw and paint, which I have found to be a happy solution to all of my problems. It gives my brain somewhere to go for a break - if my mind wanders away from the drawing, it wanders into the music, enjoys it for a few seconds, then wanders back to the drawing again, without ending up in what's for dinner or wanting to go back to that computer game for a while. It also solves the problem of short songs with different moods, as many classical pieces are long and (with relatively few exceptions) mood changes tend not to be major or abrupt.

Besides, the sciencey people say it makes you smarter, which is always a plus.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just had an interesting conversation with one of my students. He has synesthesia, and different pictures have different sounds for him. He can't have music on when he works, because it clashes with what he hears in his head as he's painting.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I just had an interesting conversation with one of my students. He has synesthesia, and different pictures have different sounds for him. He can't have music on when he works, because it clashes with what he hears in his head as he's painting.
    Is it an advantage for him in any way? I knew someone with it who saw colours as they heard sounds and as a result took fairly quickly to a variety of musical instruments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally agree, I've read a LOT of books last year while drawing - perfect multitasking! I also like to listen to music that enhances the mood of the drawing. I've discovered though that I can't listen to 'busy' music or audio books when I write dialogue or plot (I do comics). Then I have to shut everything off and focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use music to drown everything else out because after a while I actually stop focusing on the music entirely. Gets me distracted from the outside noises of a house with loud-ass people who shout all the time into something more calming.
    I dunno how it makes sense, but it works for me. I have the same playlist running over and over, so I think it's just the constant thing drowning out the sudden sounds of everything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slothboy, I might be able to answer that question for you. My synthesthia involves feeling/perceiving colors from music. It's not so much that I get drowned out by various colors, but that music feels a certain color and, if I'm not distracted, what I'm looking at can pulse slightly or I see little flashes of color. When I listen to music, I tend to pick up the colors of the music and use it in my work. As a result, lately I have preferred music that is very dark blue, gray and white with yellow in it, much like the color schemes of my latest paintings I can also get a sense of texture, like splotchy ink drips or scratchy paint. It can get very repetitive with regard to my choice of music but it helps me to "see" what I want to paint.

Honestly, the best way to describe how it actually is to experience it is to suggest this clip, starting at 3:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z12_Ps-gk this is about the closest it gets to describing what it's like to see music. Keep in mind the daily experience is not like a lifelong acid trip though.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends for me, but usually I go with some sort of audio when I draw. I have a playlist of random songs that I generally like, and they usually have a bit of an upbeat feel or mood to keep me energized, or they are strong emotionally. That playlist tends to have songs that I've listened to so often, I'm not distracted by the lyrics. Other times, I'll switch over to instrumental music, and sometimes I'll listen to a podcast or audiobook. For some reason, once I put music on, I tend to stay on task a little better, almost like mental blinders. It works for me.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I have a friend with condition. She sees sounds, literally. Music creates colors and shapes in her head. I think it's fascinating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 4