Anatomy crit
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anatomy crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anatomy crit

can you please crit this anatomy, and if you think its ok would be good to know too. Feel free to crit the design too, its just at mock up stage ready to redraw.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Hob,

I can't overstate the important of finding reference. You might have a hard time finding a pose this dynamic considering she is in the air. But if you can't find anything, I highly recommend doing this pose yourself with a timed camera. You may not be in the air for your shot, but it will be invaluable.

As it is, she looks stiff because her torso is not twisting at all. Her legs, torso, and head are all facing the same direction. So it looks like she just jumped up like a stiff mannequin and put one arm up, and one leg up.

I like the costume design so far. Not sure about the hair tho.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea I see what you mean, Im gona look into that and might chop the hair off too, I wasn't sure about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Overall it looks pretty okay to me, though perhaps a little stiff and robotic (like the perfectly pointed toes); there's just one thing that really bugs me, and that's the far arm. The way it juts out of her ribcage with the rest of the arm hidden, it looks like that arm has no elbow at all, just a humorous that attaches to the shoulder and the hand. If that arm were bent, the hand would probably be pointing either up or towards us depending on how the arm is positioned in space. Based on the pose, it would probably make more sense visually if the far arm were reaching around the waist, mirroring the other upper arm's pose (kinda like this).

I like the idea of removing the hair; it looks like it would get hacked off pretty quickly if she's waving her swords around like that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the most recent one with adjustments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres how it looks now, please continue to crit it, I found people's views really helps. Ive been doing a lot of life drawing for months and overlaid a couple of photos to check the proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendering is nice, the costume is awesome. I see the effort you put into this. But my original crit still stands. It looks like she's been smashed like a fly on a wall with a fly swatter. She is way stiff.

A second problem is the far arm is not reading separately from her torso. It looks like she has a lump with a sword coming out of it growing out of her chest. Use atmospheric perspective to separate it, and make sure you draw THROUGH the character to make sure the arm is in the anatomically correct position.

If I was you, I would chalk this image up to good practice in rendering and learning. Now I challenge you to start again with a DYNAMIC pose with a twisting torso and more ACTION.

Check out art and books by Burne Hogarth who is known for dynamic poses. I was also VERY impressed by this blog: CHECK THIS OUT AND LEARN!
    http://geekdraw.com/main/2012/4/18/c...chris-ste.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artfix thanks for commenting on this project, there is a deadline so won't have time to do any more poses, I tried quite a few at the start and this on seems to have a nice slicing action, so I will try lots of poses on my next character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

well

I suppose I'm to late to the party but anatomical errors aside I like the graphic design quality of it this is my idea for it.....
    Name:  Screen-shot-2012-04-30-at-6.53.32-PM.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  60.2 KB
    anyways just think in those graphic shapes.....I have a problem understanding what is going on with the hands and forearms but I do enjoy the image.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with artfix here. Everything is great...except for the implied motion, of which there is none.

Twisting the torso will definitely help get you there. My paintover shows a brief glimpse at what contrapposto can do to a drawing/painting/concept. It is still up to you to get the reference you need.
    Name:  honob-painted.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  123.9 KB

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jacobanderson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your efforts guys, what do you think to this background, I wanted to create some movement and hold her in place at the same time, its like an explosion, and the title or brief of the piece is - master of blades

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yefim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Yefim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm rather disappointed by the fact that you didn't pick up any of jason's crits or even thanked them. I don't get why you would spend hours trying to refine something that isn't working when you could've spent those same hours making the changes necessary to make it work. The perfect profile perspective is just killing the sense of movement and the unnatural pose isn't helping much either. I don't have much left to say in terms of improving the piece, all I can point out is that I'm not buying her feet, she seems to be missing her toes.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I like the work!
    nice concept!

the only thing I would suggest is to pay more attention to the straight leg:

it kinda lacks popliteal fossa (a pit behind the knee) maybe because the lower leg (backside) and upper leg (backside) dont curve enough when they meet behind the knee. This makes the whole leg look hyperextended.

hope that helps

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DocSikorski For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.