Art: Starting Fresh
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Starting Fresh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starting Fresh

Aspiring colorist here. I had an account on here recently, which shall not me named because my stuff was really awful lol. I'm simply going to post things that I've done recently, constructive critique is welcome.

This first artwork I posted in my gallery but that part of the site seems to be... in the land of not working. So here it is.

Lineart here by Ace Continuado ( icicle0.deviantart.com )

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PandorasPaintbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad at all. I like the dynamism of the first pic but has some anatomical issues. Particularly with the feet. Also I believe the girl in the white blouses right shoulder should be visible based on the angle and not covered by her head. Also her head is somewhat oddly proportioned. Not bad but if you work on your anatomy and proportions it'll bring your work to the next level.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Juniversal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
    Not bad at all. I like the dynamism of the first pic but has some anatomical issues. Particularly with the feet. Also I believe the girl in the white blouses right shoulder should be visible based on the angle and not covered by her head. Also her head is somewhat oddly proportioned. Not bad but if you work on your anatomy and proportions it'll bring your work to the next level.
    Does a colorist fix these issues?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to david skeleton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by david skeleton View Post
    Does a colorist fix these issues?
    Not usually. The only time I tend to do it is when the idea is to do a full paint over top of the line art with the intention of not showing the lines in the finished picture.

I suppose maybe what I wrote before the picture wasn't read? lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PandorasPaintbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another line art from Ace Continuado (icicle0.deviantart.com)

I do realize there are a few mistakes which I won't repeat but this one is finished, it was fun to color I claim no rights to anything of the DC universe, it is only fan art. If posting fan art is against rules here please do just let me know in a polite manner so that I may take it down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PandorasPaintbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one I did lines and all. I need to update it in my gallery since I worked on it a bit more since.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ElmerBento View Post
    I won't repeat but this one is finished
    Are we talking about the painting? I thought it was finished before but I saw room to make improvement so I did and I updated it. Otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to say or why when I quote you there are image codes in your post.

Last edited by PandorasPaintbrush; July 31st, 2012 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the mermaid.
    Jeff

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lafferty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. Really like the first one. Maybe you could try using richer colours? Alot of the ones you are using are quite grey. Rendering looks good. I can see you're going for realism and the textures you're adding work great. Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CZEPTA View Post
    Nice stuff. Really like the first one. Maybe you could try using richer colours? Alot of the ones you are using are quite grey. Rendering looks good. I can see you're going for realism and the textures you're adding work great. Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Peace!
    Thanks for the tip! I have actually been messing around with that picture a little more to try and separate the background from the foreground. x_x I'll update it when I get a chance. So far I've blurred the background just a little, sharpened the foreground as well as made the foreground more vibrant. I'll update it when I'm done :3

I did recently finish another painting on my own. Crits also welcome. Going for semi realism on this one, it's a character portrait for a friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just throw a thought your way - looking at your colours, I sometimes feel you're using smooth (bordering on smudgy) and very crisp areas in ways that don't help the image. In some of the pictures - especially the first - you have a lot of very smooth and blurry portions that make it hard for the eye to dwell on something. In the last one, the only crisp thing is the hair, while the eyes are blurred, so I keep wandering away from her face and stare at the hair.

I'd pick one centre of attention and make it crisper, and put less emphasis on areas of the pic that are not as important. Guide the viewer's eye.

Very apparent in the mermaid - the portions of the image that just jump out at me are the brightly glowing ones, but they're also very smudgy. There's a lot of them, meaning my eye wants to look at all of them at once, and when it latches itself to one of them, it drifts off again as they're so blurry.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldSeven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont like much the grayish midtones.
    try to darken the surface with color, like for example red is darker than yellow or blue is darker than cyan

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Danilo For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.