Art: Lego as a design aid!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lego as a design aid!

I've been working on some spacecraft design ideas recently and I hit a wall. Just couldn't think of anything interesting to put on paper. Then I had an idea. I used to sit down with the kids once in a while and build little spaceships out of Lego. So I got out the big tubs of lego we have and started playing around with different configurations. It was a huge help! If you have a bunch of lego I suggest using them when you need a little help designing interesting objects.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to goodmanje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lego are awesome! But i still prefer to play with shapes in thumbnails in a old sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hideo Kojim used LEGO systems when designing the first Metal Gear Solid:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/06/hi...-presentation/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could actually use a "Lego" type system in photoshop. Make a bunch shapes (blocks) of different sizes and lay and warp them over each other until you see something sweet within the silhouette.

It works well to create nice silhouette and work out what the form is using your minds eye. What I like about going with this method is you can come up with ideas you orally wouldn't think of if you were just sketching because you break your normal rhythmic workflow.

Example is some of these ships I sketched http://www.tomahawkmonkey.com/portfo...-work/13960837

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomahawk Monkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk Monkey View Post
    You could actually use a "Lego" type system in photoshop. Make a bunch shapes (blocks) of different sizes and lay and warp them over each other until you see something sweet within the silhouette.

It works well to create nice silhouette and work out what the form is using your minds eye. What I like about going with this method is you can come up with ideas you orally wouldn't think of if you were just sketching because you break your normal rhythmic workflow.

Example is some of these ships I sketched http://www.tomahawkmonkey.com/portfo...-work/13960837
    Thank you!

Descubre los últimos métodos para curar tu celulitis para siempre. Si quieres saber cómo quitar la celulitis de las piernas y de los muslos de una forma rápida, haz clic aquí y cúrate. Y si quieres saber como bajar de peso en una semana rápidamente y sin esfuerzo haz clic aquí.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.