HELP looking for Gouache and artists who use it?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HELP looking for Gouache and artists who use it?

Hi, I'm probably posting this on the wrong section.

But I was wondering, as an artist I'm looking to expand my skills and was looking into getting into commercial art, looking at pictures by syd mead, al parker, austin briggs, norman rockeell and others etc, and really needing to paint like them

But I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of other modern artists that use gouache and what are their methods of rendering, indeed if there are any on this site that could give any instruction would be good as well.

any way thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first name that popped into my head when I read "gouache" was Syd Mead, the second was Erik Tiemens.
    http://www.watersketch.com/#gouaches-watercolors
    http://www.virtualgouacheland.blogspot.co.uk/

I think he has a Gnomon video available.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Glen Orbik

Hi!

Glen Orbik, he teaches at 3kicks, California Art Institute and online via Zarolla..

http://www.orbikart.com/gallery/
    http://www.3kickstudio.com/class-information/
    http://www.zarolla.com/classes

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwie89 View Post
    Hi, I'm probably posting this on the wrong section.
    Yup.
    Moved.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still a novice, but I've been using gouache for a few years now and I've learnt a few things about it. I don't think there's anything that will teach you more than just getting some tubes and trying it out. Gouache has a lot of idiosyncrasies I often read about when I first started, but didn't actually really understand properly until I experienced them and had to deal them with myself.

Some pigments will dry lighter, and others darker, which means if you have to mix up more than one batch of paint, it can be hard to get the colours to match up perfectly. If you don't add enough water, the paint will be very tacky and hard to get down, but if you add too much, the paint becomes much closer to watercolour and will probably reactivate any layers you paint over and cause them to mix.

Syd Mead has four Gnomon Workshop videos available covering his process for an entire picture painted on illustration board in gouache. The first two cover preliminary work like sketches, using markers to work out the values and lighting, and the third covers making a small colour preliminary sketch (which looks very good in its own right). Part four covers the final painting on full size illustration board.

It's quite expensive all in one go for the entire set, so I ended up buying them over a long time period, but they're actually one of the best video sets I've seen on illustration process. I've bought others in the past and have come away feeling like I've not learnt very much. That said, they will not lead to a sudden transformation in you or your art so that you can magically paint like Syd Mead, no matter how many times you watch them in one weekend.

I am, unfortunately, living testament to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that helps a lot, yeah I've seen the gnomon of syd mead really good and informative. although I've found out that paper is also key in a good painting as stretching it is very important, took me a while to sort of get that right as well.

yeah I will check out those other guys that you mentioned, but there has to be more people out there that use these techniques and use them to a high standard such as syd mead and if you don't know who Al parker is I suggest you peeps check him out as he is superb at what he did!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Look up Mort Künstler he worked in Gouache and oils for men's magazines in the forties and fifties.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Richard Schmid has done some really awesome gouache paintings but I'm having trouble finding any online. If you can find his books there are some there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While we're at it, John Sibbick does a good deal of his work in gouache: http://www.johnsibbick.com/ (see the "About" section for details on his methods).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.