Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bodied's Sketchbook Challenge!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

bodied's Sketchbook Challenge!

Well, I've finally gotten around to making a CA sketchbook like I've been meaning to forever!

A little background on me: I'm 21, almost done with a BFA in studio art and I'm probably going to SCAD for animation in the fall. My figure drawing skills are not up to the level I want them to be, so I ask you, the wonderfully knowledgeable CA users, for critiques on my life drawings, which is what this sketchbook will mostly be (maybe with a few WIPs thrown in for good measure). My uni is tiny, so I was only able to take two life drawing courses in the fall semesters - but I sketch from life when I can.

I attached images in order dating from January up to this past Tuesday, and hopefully I'll be able to post at least once a week. I recently found online life drawing books so I'll be looking through that too. But hey, any input you have for an aspiring animator is truly appreciated. If you're interested, here's my tumblr where I post more contemporary art stuff. I am not so much a concept artist, but that's alright!

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by bodied; May 25th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    You've already a good technique for a 'starter'. Try Loomis. His books helped me alot.
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

My sketchbook

Thanks
    I was lucky enough to find an online copy of a Loomis book because I've seen the name a lot around here. I'll definitely study it when school lets out!

Thanks
    Went to a play and drew the actors and some of the audience members - a much different challenge than drawing musicians. I'm trying to loosen up my gesture drawings skills as well.

Thanks
    Just a few sketches from last night's orchestra recital. I think I'm having trouble making legs too short, any suggestions?

Thanks
    I like these sketches. They all have very nice gestures. But right now, they're really lacking in construction. Well, to grossly oversimplify it, construction is simply to think of the egg form of the ribcage, box form of the pelvis, cylinder forms of the arms and legs while you're drawing, and try to express these ideas with your marks.

Anyway, I highly recommend Michale Hampton's figure drawing to learn about it. I've copied every drawing in there a couple times, and it's just incredible for what you're trying to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, thanks for the advice! The 'construction' ideas are actually really good tips, I'll have to remember that when I go out people-drawing next. In particular, I always forget about the box shape of the pelvis. I always seem to straddle the line between being really loose and trying to be accurate.

Lately I've been doing gestures because I think I really need to work on "storytelling" with figures since that's a key job of animators, but I sure could use a refresher in basic construction too. Proportion can be difficult to remember when you are drawing fast but I'm sure it'll happen eventually

Unfortunately, the book you suggested is not in my local library but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used copy somewhere. Thanks a lot!!

Thanks
    Another concert last night. I wish I could have drawn more than just the backs of people, but it was an opportunity to try and draw the weight of the body while leaning forwards or backwards. There was a standing man and I tried to get the arcs of the shoulder and pelvis as well.

Thanks
    Tried out the construction guidelines suggested earlier, and I think it's working out! I'll definitely be using it more often. Proportions seem to be more naturally occurring as well, what do you guys think?

Thanks
    Gesture drawings from a live dance performance. This really took me out of my comfort level because I always want to pay more attention to the drawing, rather than the person I'm drawing from. Their positions changed constantly so it was a challenge to get the drawings down in time.

Thanks
    This upload has a few different things in it. I've been studying Loomis' Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, so there are a couple proportion studies here. It has been so helpful, I love it! I also went to an art museum and sketched a few of the sculptures. A group of friends and I went bar-hopping, so naturally I took a sketchbook with me and drew some of the patrons - I've never seen so many drunk hipsters in my life

Thanks
    I have been reading Loomis and tried out some gesture drawings based on some of the construction techniques. Unfortunately I don't have access to models, but used Pixelovely. These were done very quickly, about a minute or less. Still trying to keep proportions correct, and I had a little bit of trouble with foreshortening, but maybe that's because I had trouble seeing foreshortened stick figures.

Also, they seem a little floaty to me. Do you guys have any tips for making figures seem really weighty?

Thanks
    Love your figures! You've a real inspiration as I've been desperately trying to improve my figures!
    He said the roots of education were bitter but the fruits sweet.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to L4xord For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast