Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: So many child prodigies, do I even have a chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Yeah, I get what you are saying Gwen. Rather I meant
    that just because someone buys your sketch or you even
    do a couple of commissions, that does not make you a
    professional artist.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I think that's a spambot of sorts. It just copied part of Dpaint's comment.
    Yeah, it was a spambot, made me laugh actually.
    Very opinionated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, I'm 40 and started to draw a couple of month ago, what should I say ? ^^ Am I stupid ? I don't think so (or maybe yes, but not for this subject ). The problem is the goal. My goal is not to be a professional artist (I used to be as a musician in the past), it's to draw, better and better each day. And if one day I can earn money from my paintings, why not ? If I can earn enough, I can even stop my actual job. But well, I don't really care for the moment, the problem here and now is to learn how to draw.

As soon as you mastered the fondamentals (ok, it's already a difficiult goal), you can't compare yourself with other in the artistic world, it's just impossible. Is this guy better than you ? No, he's just different, you have your own sensibility, your own way of expression, your own way to see things and translate them in your art, and nobody can do what you do, and you will never be able to do what other artists do, because everyone is unique. Be confident. If a professional likes your art, he won't try to find someone else with quite similar art (which is impossible) but younger for obscure raison... Who care if you're 20 or 60 ?

Time is easy to find for everyone. I have a full time job, but I have no TV, I don't play anymore games, I try to not spend too much time on internet for nothing. And so, I have really a lot of time (ok, I'm single, and don't have childs, so it's easier for me, but I'm sure people with family can also find a lot of more time thant they said they have). Spend as much as time you can find to draw.

So, do you want to make money or do you want to be a good artist ? If you want to make money, then just do something else, if you want to be a good artist, then draw, think to draw, take time to draw and that's all, eventually you'll make money with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Aeterna View Post
    Hello CA,

have to make up a thread of worries and fears again. xD

That said, I want to know if any of you might be familiar with that and if there's even a chance for such old people like me who are still not pro at all...
    Oh noes, you are 20 and your life is over. There is no possible way you can out-think or out-market some dumbass 16-year-olds. They are just too smart.

You should go outside, lie down on the grass and be depressed rather than, say, do something useful like figure out where your artistic strengths lie and find markets where you can compete more effectively.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am currently 21 years and 4 months old, my drawings are still like noob garbage
    Well, I have been at it for longer than you have been alive, and I have yet to reach even a fraction of the skill I see in your sketchbook. Perhaps I should just give up. I mean, what's the point of practicing the one thing I really enjoy if I'm never going to be rich and famous, especially with young prodigies like you running the show?

... and I feel like I'm going to be forced living as a burger-flipping someone.
    Assume that you are going to flip burgers for the rest of your life. What are you going to be doing with your free time? I know what I would be doing. Especially if I had your talent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    With good time management, it is possible to study 10 hours a day.
    Not if you work 40 hours a week.

Work: 8 hours
    Sleep: 8 hours
    Draw: 8 hours

That's 24 hours right there and that's not even including driving/walking to work, cooking, eating, shitting and showering.

I suppose you could sleep for 6 hours, but as far as I'm concerned, I need between 7-8 hours of sleep. Still, I manage to get between 3-5 hours a day (not including weekends) of drawing time on work days and draw off and on, on the weekends.
    My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkeley View Post
    but nevertheless being paid for art means you are a professional artist.
    So if kids sell lemonade at a stand and get paid for it, it makes them professional chefs and restaurant managers.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bish0p2004 View Post
    Not if you work 40 hours a week.

Work: 8 hours
    Sleep: 8 hours
    Draw: 8 hours

That's 24 hours right there and that's not even including driving/walking to work, cooking, eating, shitting and showering.

I suppose you could sleep for 6 hours, but as far as I'm concerned, I need between 7-8 hours of sleep. Still, I manage to get between 3-5 hours a day (not including weekends) of drawing time on work days and draw off and on, on the weekends.
    possibility is not certainty.

I certainly don't need 8 hours of sleep.

All I said is that it is possible to do it.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Uhmmm...

No.
    So, you're really really slow?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx52hg View Post
    I don't want to be overly cruel about that artist, and I know considering my own artwork that I really don't have a leg to stand on, but her gallery really doesn't look pro at all. Have you noticed how about 70% of her gallery is just headshots and picture of very stylised characters with minimal background? It seems like that's all she's capable of. Lots of them also seem to share very similar facial characteristics. I don't think that gallery is a very good example, and I wouldn't hire her for work if I wanted an illustrator for my product.
    That what I meant with "point of view". Rationally and on basis of what other people can produce I know she is nowhere there (and yes, I notice the headshot-bias in the gallery), but I am equally nowhere where she is- point of view. I can't even draw a bloody cube. The word 'pro' is imho just a lose description used for what you have no idea about.. on the internet at least.

Quote Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
    It is a choice when you give up other things for it, everyone has 24 hours in a day, but most of us don't spend them as wisely as we could.
    Fully agree with your statement that we don't spend time as wisely as we could- at least I know I could get myself at least one hour more a day than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
    The majority of people waste a lot of time working more than they really have to (I don't know where you got the impression that he was in some kind of luxurious position to work more than the average person without sacrificing something else?) and on other hobbies, or just waste time. If you're not motivated by someone who went from never having drawn to a pro level without being a one-in-a-million talent simply because he went to an atelier and actually dedicated a lot of time to it every day (over a period of many years), then I'd love to hear what kind of people do motivate you.
    I didn't say he was in a luxurious position per se (as far as I gather from his sb, he worked in a bakery as well to earn money), but that having 10 hours a day is a luxury to have in my opinion.

What motivates me is people that have started at a later age that I have and made it, people who realized their dream as an artist after a career in something else- basically everyone that can proof you don't have to be a lunatic living in your car eating canvas and licking brushes because anything else wouldn't be 'true dedication'.

..I just read these forums too often. Waste of time, touché!
    Thanks for the bold response.

Thanks
    Hey, I used to think this way. Then I went walking in the park one day and met this 40 year old guy who said he finally got his job at Pixar as an animator and that he'd spent the past 10 years trying to get in -- and it was all worth it.

The focus should really be on your art anyhow, on what you want to do with your visions, your ideas, how you're going to make them come to life. The job is just a really nice side option. That's the way I see it.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot to anyone who answered to this post.

Well, with "pros" i do of course not mean people who sell some art for a few dollars. I just might give some examples:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=140145 18 years
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=140145 . 19 y (you migh know him from the CA Sketchbooks)
    http://maria-menshikova.deviantart.com/ - 19 y

These are child prodigies in my opinion. not to mention artists like jana schirmer, algenpfleger or Charlie Bowater who also had been amazing at a young age.

And, the reason why I want to become good at art:
    Drawing is my passion; its what i love to do. I gave up on many, many things to improve my skills: Social life; I have one but way less then before i started the practice.
    Playing my favorite PC games. Writing.
    because illustrating is my vocation and i want to do it as an occupation until i die - or at least until i'm not able to hold a pencil anymore.

It's not about fame or something...no way. its all about what i want for my life and my future.
    after reading your comments it feels like a little bit of the pressure is gone because many of you brought me to think about my fears.
    i am a person who tries to be optimistic in every area of the life and of course i never give up working.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    So you gave examples for THREE people. How many artists do you think are in the entire world?

If you are worried about your future, worry about your future and stop comparing.

In short the people who worry too damn much about everyone else make threads like these

The ones who worry about their future and meeting their goals make threads like these

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, with "pros" i do of course not mean people who sell some art for a few dollars. I just might give some examples:
    You're not a pro until you're capable of completely sustaining yourself with art.

And SamC, you'll notice is on page 79 of his sketchbook thread. Algen is well over 100. This tells me they got to where they are with a lot of work and dedication, not by being child prodigies. They just started working harder at a younger age.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shaggnasty For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast