Exercise and Remedies for Tendontis/Carpal Tunnel?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exercise and Remedies for Tendontis/Carpal Tunnel?

Hey guys,

Well, my wrists have been bothering me a bit, and im kinda getting scared.

I think a few people here on a forums suffered a real serious case of tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

Currently Im doing some stretches I found on youtube.. but Im wondering if anyone knows good exercise or remedies, specific for us artist, that will prevent full blown tendonitis.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Akido hand stretches - They're perfect for artists. Remind yourself to do these frequently during drawing, when ever you start to feel tension. Also Potassium and Water are your best friends. Potassium repairs the body. Water does so much more than we realize; hydration goes deep, even down to keeping your tendons nice and loose. That's why many yoga instructors advocate drinking good amount of water before stretches. Hydrated substances stretch much better than dry.

Most of the time the answers to health problems are so much simpler than we think. Try not to eat anything that's frozen, canned, bagged or fried and you'll be sitting pretty.

Last edited by Shaggnasty; April 18th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shaggnasty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks!!, wow these are awesome.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No frozen, canned or bagged...? But... That's most of the food. O_o

I mean, rice comes in bags. And bread. And you gotta freeze the fish if it's not in cans...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    No frozen, canned or bagged...? But... That's most of the food. O_o

I mean, rice comes in bags. And bread. And you gotta freeze the fish if it's not in cans...
    We lived before the freezer and canning. And no! You get your rice in a burlap sac!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, yeah, but before freezing and canning people spent all day hunting and preparing meals. Or salting and drying and pickling everything to death. Not much to hunt around here except rats, and forget about fishing...

And no, rice comes in plastic bags in all the stores near me. As do the only brands of bread I can eat.

And no, I'm not baking my own bread. We used to do that when I was a kid, took all freaking day and then some.

And the home baked bread had to go in bags in the freezer anyway. Otherwise it would go moldy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Be careful not to sleep on your hands in a way that impedes circulation. (I get some carpal tunnel flare ups, and this seems to be an issue).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Um, yeah, but before freezing and canning people spent all day hunting and preparing meals. Not much to hunt around here except rats, and forget about fishing...

And no, rice comes in plastic bags in all the stores near me. As do the only brands of bread I can eat.

And no, I'm not baking my own bread. We used to do that when I was a kid, took all freaking day and then some.

And the home baked bread had to go in bags in the freezer anyway. Otherwise it would go moldy.
    I'm just sayin', if you're trying to eat mashed potatoes out of a bag in a box with 30 ingredients other than potatoes, we've got problems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggnasty View Post
    I'm just sayin', if you're trying to eat mashed potatoes out of a bag in a box with 30 ingredients other than potatoes, we've got problems.
    Pff, I guessed that, I was just being snarky...

(it's late, I'm punch-drunk.)

I can't eat most "ingredients" anyway, so my diet tends to be surprisingly healthy by default...

You're probably doing pretty okay if you avoid any ingredients you can't identify or pronounce.

Back on topic, one of the best things you can do in general to avoid repetitive stress problems is to take frequent breaks and move around. This goes for eye strain, too - look away from your screen now and then, focus on things far away, rest your eyes, blink...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

I dislocated my wrist and a couple fingers a while back, exercises like these really helped me out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DayQeLkc710

Heh, Cliff-san. He trains with Kuroda sensei a couple of times, then puts it in his resume. Cute...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Cintiq View Post
    Hey guys,

Well, my wrists have been bothering me a bit, and im kinda getting scared.

I think a few people here on a forums suffered a real serious case of tendonitis and carpal tunnel.

Currently Im doing some stretches I found on youtube.. but Im wondering if anyone knows good exercise or remedies, specific for us artist, that will prevent full blown tendonitis.
    You might have better luck speaking to a doctor/physical therapist; you should also not be self-diagnosis.

Lastly, remember that pain is a way of your body telling you to stop doing what you're doing. If you continue through the pain, you will likely aggravate/worsen the issue. If you are having pain when you are not actively doing anything, that's a pretty strong indicator you need to see some sort of medical professional.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hopefully these help me too cause i recently found out i have tendonitis as well..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It might be a good idea to use pain/cramps as a reminder to get up and exercise. Go walk, do some jumping jacks, any cardio to get your blood pumping. Also eat a lot of bananas, they have lots of potassium and more calcium than milk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can try wearing a wrist brace when you draw or type. I actually was diagnosed w/ tendonitis in the left hand and sometimes stop working isn't an option. Along with the exercises if you don't bend your wrist at all because of the brace.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also I would recommend buying a really good Fish Oil with a high EPA/DHA content and highdosing that for a couple weeks to reduce the swelling and inflammation. Also to supplement with a spice called Curcumin also known as Turmeric in pill form to get a higher dose and combat inflammation.

And see if you can find an A.R.T ( Active Release Practitioner) in your area to work on your hand to loosen up some of the scar tissue and any muscle imbalances that may be present in the hand.

Hopefully some of that can provide you with some short-term progress and kick-start the healing process, let me know if you have any questions!!

Last edited by BoomSamson; March 28th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then for the tendinitis, which I am assuming is in the elbow? You can do an exercise called :rubber band extensions: to help balance the muscles in your hand and forearm.

Pretty much you just rubberbands around your fingers and thumb, enough bands to provide good resistance, and then you just open and close for reps . Start low and whatever feels comfortable and slowly work your way up with more reps and then more bands. Any household bands will do. Once you get comfortable with the exercise you want to try hitting 20 reps or more to get the muscle working and get it strengthened.

Here is a video on youtube that I found that illustrates this exercise, although he is doing it with the hand facing up the exercise cane be done with the hand facing down as well (use whatever is more comfortable for you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTzBe0wLFg

If you feel any acute pain please stop immediately, the exercise should feel challenging as you are working against a resistance and you should feel a pump or increased circulation in the forearm and hand. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWG View Post
    You can try wearing a wrist brace when you draw or type. I actually was diagnosed w/ tendonitis in the left hand and sometimes stop working isn't an option. Along with the exercises if you don't bend your wrist at all because of the brace.
    Those stretchy ace bandages can do in a pitch if you cant get a wrist brace.

|| CA Sketchbook || DeviantArt || Tumblr ||

Bullets of Justice caps Evil's ass...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drummers seem to be suffering from the same problems as us. I found this one a few years ago and have been doing these stretches now and then, haven't had problems with my wrists and I draw pretty heavily. I also try to exercise regularly, and I think that has helped a lot too. The techniques are really simple to do! hope it helps someone

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post: