Thanks

I have decided :D

To go on a little self improvement saga - I need people to go along with it with me; communion in activity inspires thought, creativity and dedication. When people act as a group they tend to be stronger than acting alone.

Basically I want to get a little group together - a sketch/friend/ well just generally good person group. Not necessarily a formal dA group but a group none-the less. Would anyone be interested in doing something like this? Maybe meet up on that ustream site or some other chat site and draw together? Have weekly (or monthly - depending on activity and outside work) topics and ideas and such (like one week do 15 gestures and 2 fully fleshed out figures); but start out small and build up to a more difficult routine like 2 landscapes a week or something. Really drive home digital painting and well just art progression in general and get some actual work done. And instead of thrashing each other on mistakes or just saying "nice" or "cool" actually take the time to comment on the goods and the bads - like a meaningful critique, not only saying how to improve but pushing the person to do more - if you catch my drift.

Any how - get back to me if you think it would be good or not - thanks for reading

I've posted this on here, deviantart, polycount and . I really want to get my own little art group going

Deviant art Members so far -
    adennis123
    LastGen

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    I wanted to make my own - joining one seems kinda pointless. because ill have to post like 400 to get recognized as a legitimate person. I want to start one so everyone that I start it with is on an equal playing field - no one has merit in the group because of how long they've been active..

Thanks
    thats fine I was thinking your goal was to improve and speed up your work ethic. If instead your goal is to campaign a popularity contest starring your self maybe these links have little to do with your intent.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    thats fine I was thinking your goal was to improve and speed up your work ethic. If instead your goal is to campaign a popularity contest starring your self maybe these links have little to do with your intent.
    Not a popularity contest at all. Just I want an equal chance to get help and all that. instead of being dominated by the more experienced people and all that getting crits. I want to improve and speed up my work.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Zelenski View Post
    When people act as a group they tend to be stronger than acting alone.
    Maybe in armies or mobs but never in creating art. Nothing good comes from committees. If you want to improve, work hard and when you get stuck seek out expert advice, not consensus. A group of uninformed people can be more wrong more often than any one informed individual. This is why classes are not taught by consensus.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Maybe in armies or mobs but never in creating art. Nothing good comes from committees. If you want to improve, work hard and when you get stuck seek out expert advice, not consensus. A group of uninformed people can be more wrong more often than any one informed individual. This is why classes are not taught by consensus.
    so what would you suggest?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Just what I've said. Work on your own until you get stuck with a problem or series of problems that relate to each other and then seek out someone who you think solves those problems in a way you respect. That way you don't have too many influences on your creativity.

I believe we each have a unique voice that needs to be preserved; you have to get good at what you do, so limit your contact to problem solving and keep it focused to specifics. That way you preserve your uniqueness while still having people help you improve. Too many people have opinions about style and whats cool and a bunch of erroneous stuff that gets in the way of real progress and stifles uniqueness. You see it all the time where people teach style not fundamentals and you end up with a bunch of mediocre clones. There is a mob mentality where people want to draw like so and so cause their hot right now instead of focusing on improving their own work to the same level of professionalism without copying others.

If you want to set goals of a couple of pieces a week, set the goals for yourself. Don't rely on others or a group to motivate you. If you do get work you will be working alone 90% of the time anyway so why not discipline yourself now?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    With all respect for people advising to work alone, working in a group can be very useful and motivational if you can stay away from the "mob mentality". And organizing things like museum trips or life drawing sessions is easier as a group, too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think it's so bad to have a group of people to keep you motivated, and it's always much harder to stay motivated and keep working when you're a beginner. Once you get good, maybe you don't need it, especially if you're working with clients. But when you simply want to improve, having like-minded people and learning along with them can be beneficial I think.

Certainly you shouldn't give into peer pressure or copy someone stylistically just because other people say it, but why not get the best of it and learn the fundamentals with other people and let both their successes and mistakes motivate you to keep going (and ignore them or find others if they really try to force you into another style)? If you sit in a basement by yourself as a clueless beginner, it really is hard for most people to work through all the terrible drawings while looking at all the amazing stuff other people churn out, and a beginner will never realize that other people used to suck too.

As far as the information and critiques itself goes, I totally agree with dpaint. Always seek and trust an expert resource over consensus of a group of students; truth isn't democratic and if someone is good, they're a lot more likely to actually know what you're doing wrong. That doesn't mean you can't learn from others at your own level, just take everything with a grain of salt and recognize bad advice if you see it and ignore it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The group thing could be fun as a hobby, with trips to museums etc. But I agree with dpaint about the solitary learning thing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post: