Art: Feedback portfolio (student)

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feedback portfolio (student)

Ok, this probably is going to hurt my ego and everything but I really need some feedback on my portfolio. Because of the speed that I'm earning my course credit's I will have to start looking for an internship now... even though I totally feel like I'm not good enough for that.

So I would really appreciate some feedback on my portfolio (see link). I would like to know which images I should take out of there, what I should do different and off course I always really appreciate some feedback on the work itself. I'm quite a noob with html and such so I used the deviantart portfolio service, because I figured it probably will look pretty bad if I have to do it myself >_<

Thanks in advance for any replies

Name:  27_28-03-2012tekstloosb.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  112.3 KB

http://kpluijgers.daportfolio.com/

Working as hard as I can to become a better artist

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some nice drawings on animals, but it's not very consistent.
    Your human or humanoid characters' anatomy need improvements.
    Also your coloring has a smudgy feeling to it, it doesn't feel tight. Because of this, the forms are also not very defined.
    Sounds like you are attending school, if possible, take and retake as much figure or still life drawing/painting classes as possible. Ask the teachers if there are any extra ones at evenings or weekends and take those too. If there is classical sculptures or a natural history museum near by, go there and draw. (these are the best because sculptures and stuffed animals will hold the pose as long as you need)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to look For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm assuming that you're trying to go into video games? You have an issue that at the moment is going to hold you back. You are faking alot of your details. Don't just draw what you think you know, go find references. Do studies with the intent of absolute realism. I'm not saying that your art has to be realistic, but the studies should. This will built your visual library so that when you "fake it" you'll get it right. Also it will built confidence in your rendering ability.

Stop using such low opacity brushes they make everything fuzzy. Use about 75% or higher to block everything in and then drop opacity for smoothing. Edge refinement is also very important. When you think you're done check the entire image for blurry, smudged, or broken edges and clean them up.

Look at what your competition is. There is another thread here with an example of an excellent portfolio. Check it out. Look at the kind of work in it and the presentation of it. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=240508

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Good luck with your portfolio!
    I don't want to keep adding the same things but I support you learning more anatomy because right now it could use a lot of work.
    I wish I was old enough to apply for anything art school related or interns so good luck, and don't take any of these responses as just the community wrecking you, they are meant to be used for your improvement!
    I don't know if any of that made sense, I'm a terrible writer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LukasA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you so much for the feedback.

I think I can do something with that. But can anyone perhaps give some advice on if there are any particular images that I really need to get out of my portfolio?

@Shorinji_Knight, yeah I prefer to go to the gaming industry's but to be honest any kind of internship where I can improve my drawing skills would make me happy and man I wish I could make those things in that portfolio. But I obviously still need a lot of practice.

@Look, I am in school but it's a Game Design course so it's not particularly focused on the concept art/drawing part. But it does give me space to focus on what I want, which in my case is concept art (I only learned that I wanted to do this like one year ago) and character design. I was planning on going to a zoo or anything like that for practice, but I'm still kind of looking for someone that can tag along so I'm not just on my own

My school doesn't have very many art classes so it's hard to participate in any but when they are there I try to participate and besides that I'm currently having a personal challenge to draw 1 hour (or more) a day in my free time (I don't count the things that I make for school). I already got pretty useful feedback from teachers. My main art teacher advised me to focus on humans for now because she thinks my animals are quite ok (even though I think I still have a lot of space for improvement to)

@LukasA, don't worry I asked for feedback so I'm happy with it and besides no one told me I should give up my dreams or anything so I'll just keep practicing and hoping that one day people "wow"" on my work

Last edited by Ms.Happygirl; April 18th, 2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd take out the "Survivor" girl with the scythe. It's really fuzzy, there are a lot of issues with the forms and it doesn't really make a statement. She's just standing there like she's supposed to be a display model in a scythe shop. I don't think your study section is particularly good for a portfolio. Of course, doing a ton of these is necessary, but none of them really have redeeming qualities by themselves. When they get stronger, it might be fine to add it back in. Also, the perspective in the hand bones looks off to me.
    Use harder brushes to define forms, and also don't use white/black or dodge/burn to create highlights and shadows. This makes things look dull and dead. Shadows have changes in saturation and hue.
    Some of the lines are very scratchy, like in the "Molochiothus." Use larger, more confident strokes to fix this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msafs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I took the girl out. To be honest I didn't like that one either, but for some reason some teachers liked it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can anyone tell me if I should keep these out of my portfolio or put them in there? (or just one or two of these) Every time I make something I'm struggling with the question if I should put it in my portfolio or not.

Name:  31-03_01-04-2012background.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  23_29-04-2012.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  04-05-2012.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  120.0 KB

Any help is very appreciated.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really need an intensive study of anatomy, perspective and proportions. Most of all perspective drawing for everything cause you have troubles even to draw together 2 contiguous things.

If you will achieve that you won't have any problem anymore on choosing what to put on portfolio, right now seem that you're doing thing and believing that they come out right. This isn't a good way to work, not even a good way to improve.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.