Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

The Art of Leo and Diane Dillon

I found this blog the other day while searching for examples of their work online. Leo and Diane Dillon's work is something I've taken for granted because I've been familiar with it since I was a kid, without ever stopping to notice it. It wasn't even until I found that blog that I realized the people who illustrated Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears are responsible for the Narnia covers I grew up with.

This is one of my favorite covers, and probably the reason I read the book.

If someone asked me what it is I like about their work, I don't think I could answer. I don't know what draws me in, but I love it. Plus I think it's so sweet that they work so closely together.

Just wanted to share the link, for any fans who weren't aware of it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ashtonw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Oh my god, insta-following right now!

I've always loved the Dillons, even as a kid before I knew who they were... I was lucky to catch a small exhibit of their originals in the main branch of the Brooklyn Public Library once, amazing stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The Dillons are amazing. And I love their concept of "the third artist."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Never heard of the guy but like the work. It has oddities like the hand but it doesn't really bug me any. Then it's both realism with light reflecting off the chainmail but pitch black single value hair that blends into the shadow. I just love that kind of interesting mixtures in pieces. Then the bottom of the cape fading into an ocean wave of sorts.

Never read the book but has me interested in the subject matter with all these features on the attire.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the link! They are amazing. I did not know they were a husband and wife team. I remember these top two covers striking me so hard as a kid. I knew it was the same artist as soon as I saw OP image.

http://leo-and-diane-dillon.blogspot...nica%20Furlong

Thank you for sharing I was really happy to see more stuff by them.

Thanks
    I read that Garth Nix series just for the covers! It had a intriguing concept behind it, with one of the most original magical systems I've seen. I loved those covers and I never could figure out why. Maybe I just am drawn to the blatant use of symbolism.

Thanks
    Beautiful cover work. I've seen this book so many times at the bookstore but never bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonw View Post

I found this blog the other day while searching for examples of their work online. Leo and Diane Dillon's work is something I've taken for granted because I've been familiar with it since I was a kid, without ever stopping to notice it. It wasn't even until I found that blog that I realized the people who illustrated Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears are responsible for the Narnia covers I grew up with.

This is one of my favorite covers, and probably the reason I read the book.

If someone asked me what it is I like about their work, I don't think I could answer. I don't know what draws me in, but I love it. Plus I think it's so sweet that they work so closely together.

Just wanted to share the link, for any fans who weren't aware of it.

Thanks
    This is such an odd style. What is it?
    I found an interview in which they say they never actively worked it out, nor recognized it as such.

Thanks
    I've been a big fan of the Dillons for awhile. I first discovered their work through their covers for Harlan Ellison. Those still remain my favorites.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    This is such an odd style. What is it?
    I found an interview in which they say they never actively worked it out, nor recognized it as such.
    Can I ask an honest question? Why this need to define a style? I have seen this a few times here now and I was wondering. I have a feeling if you went to 10 of your favorite artists and asked them to define their "style" they might kick around a little, hem and haw but never really answer the question to your satisfaction. I know when people ask me it gets pretty awkward. It seems can can list some things but including always excludes.

Defining styles seems an exercise for critics and historians.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Can I ask an honest question? Why this need to define a style? I have seen this a few times here now and I was wondering. I have a feeling if you went to 10 of your favorite artists and asked them to define their "style" they might kick around a little, hem and haw but never really answer the question to your satisfaction. I know when people ask me it gets pretty awkward. It seems can can list some things but including always excludes.

Defining styles seems an exercise for critics and historians.
    Hmm.. this is the first time I have asked for a style, so can't answer your question about a constant need. I asked because of what you said in your last statement. I am trying to learn about it, so I got curious what it would be.

But the wider obsession with it, no idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    Hmm.. this is the first time I have asked for a style, so can't answer your question about a constant need. I asked because of what you said in your last statement. I am trying to learn about it, so I got curious what it would be.

But the wider obsession with it, no idea.
    Right, this was a question meant for the wider audience not you specifically Louis. You just happened to have the easy quotable comment It seems that we have this need for a definition of style. Whether to pursue it? or put people into categories?

Maybe it's my knee jerk reaction to much of what happened when I was in school an after. This art school need for their students to immediately find, pursue and define a style. I think it led to a lot of derivative work and it seems to be happening again. Although I think the derivative thing now can be attributed more to the internet and access to other's work and tutorials etc..

Or maybe it's just my extreme difficulty in pigeonholing my own work or even the desire to pigeonhole my work.

But this would hijack this discussion and I've done enough of that. Maybe a start of another discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    I think it's just people's need to stick labels on things... It goes right along with the impulse to tack a different name onto every possible sub-genre of music (and then argue about which type of sub-sub-sub-genre is superior.)

It goes along with the impulse to label people as types, for that matter...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.