Good Program for beginner starting out?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good Program for beginner starting out?

So as the title says, I am beginning (started, but have been off and on) drawing and I seriously need to practice a ton more.

I was wondering what was everyone's opinion on what I should start out with as a drawing program, or should i practice more sketchbook and pencil before i keep going digital?

At the moment I have Paint Tool Sai and it works pretty well with me since it has been what I have been using for a long time, and recently I have picked up Photoshop. the thing is with photoshop, everything seems a lot more complicated than I first expected.

I have been looking into Corel Painter instead of using Photoshop.

The question is this:

Should I suck it up and continue using Photoshop? or is Painter better for beginners to learn? or should I start doing more sketchbook pencil practice?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I think you can go digital at any time, I had my first tablet at 14 and all it did was improve my drawing skills.

But if you're just starting out, I'd recommend Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. I recently got Painter 12 (It's BRILLIANT) but can be a bit overwhelming if you're new to digital painting. But I still use Sketchbook Pro a lot, because for pure sketching nothing beats it. It's not a suite of tools the way Photoshop and Painter are, but trust me it's a lot of fun! And extremely simple, not complex at all. And it's probably one of the cheapest softwares, too

I really love it. You could also try Art Rage, I like that one too but now days I only use Sketchbook Pro and Painter 12.

If you like drawing then you'll practice it whenever you get the chance- whether on a tablet or pen and paper. It's an ongoing learning process, going digital just makes it more fun

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go with a pencil and paper.

Why?

Because it's easier to go outside and draw and learn to make observational life studies which is a MUST for improvement. That doesn't mean you can't get a laptop or whatever, but I always find myself going back to good old pencil and paper, because of setup times, and other hassles with digital when doing life studies.

Life studies don't mean "people" it means everything you observe in front of you, be it a still object or a dog, a piece of trash blowing in the wind etc...

It's not that you can't or shouldn't use digital, but you'll use it better when your actual drawing gets better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use MyPaint a lot especially for quick sketching and gesture drawing.
    It starts quickly, it's very easy to use, has infinite canvas. It's free and open source software:

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to s12a For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1