Droid Final, Tips for better shading a depth?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Droid Final, Tips for better shading a depth?

I did this quite I bit ago, was afraid to post this considering this one of my best works so far, the fingers were giving me problems so i skipped them... and completely forgot to go back and finish them *face-palm*

I do know I have poor shading and line art in most of my drawings, I can never seem to make things pop. any advice?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There are plenty of issues to critique, but first: Draw those hands! Don't be lazy! (Use a mirror and your own hands as reference.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    There are plenty of issues to critique, but first: Draw those hands! Don't be lazy! (Use a mirror and your own hands as reference.)
    could you list them exactly? and have any advice for them or tips?

Thanks
    To be honest the very best thing you could do is draw some apples and onions from life. Use any medium other than digital for your life studies.

Funnily enough I am actually in the process of drawing two apples with charcoal right now...

Cheers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan Turner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Turner View Post
    To be honest the very best thing you could do is draw some apples and onions from life. Use any medium other than digital for your life studies.

Funnily enough I am actually in the process of drawing two apples with charcoal right now...

Cheers
    Thanks! I will start on it ASAP~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M3m0rise View Post
    Nope! Draw those hands!

Better yet, as an extension of Logan's advice, draw your own hand. Draw it 100 times.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    Nope! Draw those hands!

Better yet, as an extension of Logan's advice, draw your own hand. Draw it 100 times.
    I do better, I'll draw it 1,000 times, and turn it into a monster after that.

as a note, what is a good sketch pencil i should use? normally i would use charcol pencils, but they are very messy, especially when placed in a sketch book.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M3m0rise View Post
    Making the list would take up three hours of my time or more.

The single piece of advice to address ALL these issues is: leave computer alone for a while, get pencils and paper, and learn structural drawing. Draw simple everyday objects from life for practice, and learn to build formal perspective. That'll occupy you for a few months at least.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's a robot isn't it? Well, however you wanted the automaton to be, then that's how you wanted to construct it. Make it a bit shinier though, I'd think the that the eyes and the rings about the legs would be a bit glowing. I'm no expert on lighting and shadows(believe me, look at my stuff), but I figure it might need to be a bit hazy or like blinding due to the glow of it.

Otherwise it's pretty good so far, get a bit of practice in on things you might not do, please these gladiators and you will go far on this site. Keep ya' chin up and a smile on ya face, look up and keep doin' a good job.

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 13thprotector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Making the list would take up three hours of my time or more.

The single piece of advice to address ALL these issues is: leave computer alone for a while, get pencils and paper, and learn structural drawing. Draw simple everyday objects from life for practice, and learn to build formal perspective. That'll occupy you for a few months at least.
    To expand on this.

One the most underrated and overlooked things most do when they give good advice like this one is one of the most important factors for practicing.

THINK about what you are drawing. Ask yourself questions as to why this works or why this looks right. Analyze what you are doing and for what purpose you want the figure to serve and how you want the figure to appear to the viewer.

Figure is in motion. Okay, what kind of feeling do you want the viewer to get when they look at this figure in action. Dynamic? Casual? Thinking and understanding about what your figure is doing and why will help you in the more advanced stages of picture making.

Oh, and always have a background of somekind, with color. Setting effects the look of color on the figure.

Last edited by OmenSpirits; April 21st, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.