Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary

Thanks
    I didn't give myself enough time to get references for a scene and game I actually care about, so derp. Alan Wake from reference.

It's not a good idea to use a 0.5mm to block in dark areas. It's hard to get the value even.

@HH
    ConceptArt isn't loading pictures right now, I can't even see what you posted to comment on it. I'll look again in the morning.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looks like the file server is up again.

Geralt of Rivia. The lips are wrong because I have no idea what I'm doing. I felt that if I messed around with it any more I'd irreparably break something else, so I stopped. I was going to draw Hyun-ae in a hanbok but it occurred to me that I have no how to draw a female face.

Thanks
    This is really kinda shitty, especially since I decided not to draw the design on the front and back of the tabard. My excuse is that I've been awake for... 36 hours so that I wake up in the morning rather than the afternoon.

@HH
    The problem with the hood is that it's supposed to be almost black, so it didn't really have much definition to begin with. And yeah, your proportions. Left chick isn't so bad but it looks like gave up on the right one.

You mean do I want to compete with you? Yeah, okay. What do you have in mind?

Thanks
    Heather Mason. Every attempt to draw the face resulted is so much embarrassment it's better to leave it blank in the end. Otherwise okay, arms a bit long perhaps.

@HH
    The figures good if they're from imagination. Middle nurse has a good face but she's a bit short, she has about one head between her crotch and nipples when she should have about two.

On the hand, don't forget prominence of the middle finger knuckle, it sticks our further than the forefinger knuckle at a profile.

Thanks
    Firs two pages are worthless. Mostly from imagination, trying to apply what I'd learnt watching Vilppu talk but I can't say it helped. I encountered the usual problems that I don't see a away around.

Third page is all from reference. It's all okay but it's not from imagination, so I don't really care to praise it much.

Thanks
    I had a surprising amount of fun with this. I thought I'd suffer not being able to erase lines but I was able to put it all down and not regret any lines.

@HH
    Your horse head and hippopotami are really good.

What do you do the last page with? Looks like some kind of brush tip.

Thanks
    Made more mistakes than I'm happy with here. Instead of constructing and outline I just went straight in with cross hatching on the first figure and then worked around that error, so bits are off.

Second figure, his left calf is actually the right size, it's just his left hip and the crease line it makes is wrong.

Should have drawn more today but then I would have to start a new page and fill it. Oh well. Laaaazy~

@HH
    Don't know what I can do about the flat arm. The contrast is high on the upper part so I'm not sure it can help but look squarish. The left arm I did actually misplace. I had to work around a small mistake in that area, the under side of the arm should be lost behind the pectoral muscle lower down.

I think I've got a brush pen around here... somewhere. I might give it a go. I like the hair you've done with it and the profile of the middle figure on the second page but I'd like to see a little more. It's not a great tool for small detail or cross hatcing but you could try blocking in dark areas for some high contrast.

The pencil sketch needs more hair. The back of the head doesn't stick out far enough.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'll be sticking with ballpoint for a while. It has the precision I always wanted in pencil but could never quite reach. Also the way it resists the paper is nice. There's also a lot to learn about technique when using it too, I feel.

Thanks
    I used to bad mouth artists in my head for representing fishnets two dimensional. Never again ;_;

Thought I'd draw women for once. Turned out pretty good. Cross hatching is noticeably more measured and even but that wasn't intentional, just sort of happened.

Need to figure out a method for drawing hair and... faces, I guess. Cross hatching on her face looks like facial hair more than anything else. May just be a result of working in so little space, if I did wide spaced hatching across the whole half in shadow it might work. The second model didn't have ringlets but whatever, it's a way of drawing one type of hair that works.

Thanks
    Uh, I'm guessing that this is what you meant?

Unsurprisingly I don't know what the fuck is going on. I spent more time getting the pressure sensitivity to work on this tablet and going through the first three ctrlpaint videos learning the basic controls than I did drawing this.

I'll comment on your previous work when I post the catch up I should have done on those two days. Still got half a page done but I need at least another page and a half but not today, struggling against sleep and losing at the moment.

Thanks
    Nothing of value.

I get the idea but it looks nothing like what's in the video, it might help if he made even a mention of the brush settings he uses? Not sure if that would help though, I find it hard to use a tablet, my lines are incredibly shaky and it's near impossible for me to draw a straight line without shift clicking.

Might have better luck with value sketching but I don't expect any miracles.

Thanks
    This is incredibly frustrating but I at least think I understand what's going on. I should really zoom in and actually start putting in detail but I ran and out of time and not because I didn't give myself plenty. If I revisit it I'd put some brown in the darker areas too but oh well, I'm going to sleep.

@HH
    Yeah, I know but fuck it, it was that or scribble all over it.

Your horse turned out good, even if you had to cheat a bit =P The touches of lighter brown give the pleasant impression of some reflected light.

Thanks
    This is shit. I don't have much to say about it. Inexperience obvious.

@HH
    Why? I'd just fuck up surrounding areas that don't need to be touched.

Your line sketches are okay but I don't think either of us produced anything that couldn't have been done just doing the last stage first.

Thanks
    A mutual sketchbook... what a cool idea. Keep it going.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jinny For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast