Sketchbook: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pleased with the job I did. Legs a tad small, I correct during the draft but maybe not enough. Probably just didn't want to have to resketch too much so I went with it anyway. The face looks acceptable but it's not accurate to the reference. Spent quite a bit of time on it during sketching but I couldn't make it work at all for some reason.

@HH
    Yes, you should. It's my job to be a good for nothing layabout but look at me, updating three days in a row like some fancy pants artist. But seriously, keep going.

Foot does seem a bit small but consistent problem that page of sketches is that his muscles are underdeveloped. I overstated it quite a bit but you've understated the size of his chest. Filling him out a bit turns him into the shape you're looking for. And don't be afraid to bend the spine more. See how much it sticks out?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ran out of things to do on this one. Too little shadow caused by too much light reflecting snow made it really hard to give this any depth. Neck is too long but otherwise proportionality correct? Should have chosen the other reference.

I'll do the imagination stuff tomorrow, probably on the computer because I don't have any cheap paper at the moment.

@HH
    @Wednesday
    Haha, aren't you always telling me not to chicken scratch? Bodies are actually okay but, Jesus Christ, tiny heads!

Problem with the reference is that his arms and legs are too small and again there isn't enough curve in his back. Observe the angle of his lower abdomen just about the crotch.

@Thursday
    What program are you using?

Legs look off because of his right thigh, mostly. In the first you don't really show the lowest point of the valley made by the chest and legs, so there's no depth. In the second you shrink the size of the thigh by quite a bit. Overall proportions are better in the second though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On second though, getting some scrap paper might be a good idea. I feel like I have so little control when using a tablet. Feeling a little overwhelmed from looking at tutorial videos, seeing how much there is to learn and how good other artists all. I understand all that is true practice and progress and self-critique but doesn't help me from occasionally feeling puny when standing in the enormous shadow of all those who are ahead of me and their incredibly creative work.

Not much to say about these sketches. No great insight was gained.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't have much time but didn't want to do nothing. Tried to sketch, got frustrated and mixed colours for a while instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not thrilled by this attempt. Gimped any effort I made by not really giving myself enough space to draw, consequently model suffers from dwarfism, not helped by left model's right leg being too large. Right model is the rotated version, obviously. That whole left leg is a mistake. Couldn't really imagine a way to show the curve in her back, demonstrating that she's leaning forward a lot. Shading is bland and lacking confidence.

Larger paper and less detail next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a combination of busy and lazy this week, so I haven't done much else. Got a chance to draw a model from life, quite pleased with the result although it's not finished. One hour isn't nearly enough time to make a sketch and shade the entire thing until it's a finished product but I did find it extremely helpful to draw someone from life.

@HH
    The first two pages suffer from the usual proportions, balance and skull size problems but I like your last page. Everything on that page is charming and I don't think you should have scribbled out that bottom left one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had no motivation to do anything this week. I have no excuse and this piece is shit.

Name:  20121209_220118.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  417.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we see a tiger fighting its natural enemy; the giant shroom. Shit has to be chained to the floor to stop it mauling that tiger.

No where near finished. Not sure how to render the shades of fur correctly. Will probably just do layers of extra light cross hatching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monday: Approach task with conviction.
    Tuesday: I'm too tired, I'll do something tomorrow. Missing one day won't hurt.
    Wednesday: I'm too tired, I'll do something tomorrow. Missing one day won't hurt.
    Thursday: I'm too tired, I'll do something tomorrow. Missing one day won't hurt.
    Friday: I'm too tired, I'll do something tomorrow. Tomorrow I have ALL DAY to draw and I will.
    Saturday: I'm too lazy, I'll do something tomorrow. Tomorrow I have ALL DAY to draw and I will.
    Sunday: Spend 12 hours on StumbleUpon and marathon Adventure Time. Panic at last minute and finish off Mondays work so at least you did ONE thing this week.

I think I'm going to put down ball point pens for a while. I've been putting on digital sketching/painting for way too long now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think going to back and working hard on your basics, perspective and construction studies mostly, will help you tremendously. And I understand how tough it can be sometimes to find motivation or not be too tired to get up and do something. But I always find that when I just pick up the damn pencil/pen and start drawing, I become more and more motivated, wake up and start to really get into what I'm doing. Warm ups are great for this, if you don't start out with those. They can be brainless exercises, like drawing lines or ellipses, or maybe a bit more involved like gesture warmups. Either way it all helps to get your brain going and kick the lazy in the ass. Keep up the good work and start posting some fundamental studies!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.