Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary

Thanks
    @HH
    I can tell the most interesting part of figure drawing for you is drawing the faces. You might want to forget about drawing clothing for a while. Clothes are a whole new subject and I don't see how they can be drawn correctly without getting good at drawing what's underneath.

Watched the first lecture by Vilppu today. It was kind of helpful. Mentioned a couple of things like how drawing a skeleton is a good idea and that those lines tend to disappear once you've worked upon them, there are no wrong lines and you should avoid erasing things. Second image is about as far as one gets doing what he suggested. Lectures are an hour long each, so it'll take me time just to watch them.

DAZ 3D is apparently a decent program along the lines of Poser but I haven't had time to look into it. Didn't even get time to go to the art shop today and I'm running out of 0.9mm lead.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the second lecture by Vilppu was helpful. He goes through the whole procedure he uses to make a 30 minute sketch and it's useful to watch as he does it. The only difference between what he's doing and we are that he uses A3 sheets and uses some kind of charcoal core pencil whittled down.

What I drew today is the result of the lesson and while it looks like shit I think that's more down to my lack of detailed anatomy understanding rather than the process I used. I keep saying that and I don't know why I haven't done it already but I'm going to start using references when drawing more often, also need to look at DAZ 3D for poses which I didn't get around to.

@HH
    Pages 1 and 3 are good. Especially face in the far top left, it's got a kind of action to it. Page 2 is pretty awful though, every facial feature looks random and basically cartoonishly wrong. Kinda weird how you can do that but still produce page 1.

Thanks
    Despite flooding, fire and general failure of the transport system I ended up home earlier than usual, so I have plenty of time this week, I just left it too late. One page due for Sunday although I'll probably do it sooner. Hands are fun!

Lots of mistakes but I know how to correct them. Have a bit of trouble with fingers, hard to get them thin enough to be separate but not so thin they defy the skeletal structure. Wider hands are the solution, probably. First page far left is definitely not long enough. Most of second page is my own hand except for the middle which was half and half.

Hands are supposed to be really hard or something but I don't see why. The main part of the hand is a thick shovel, the thumb is an oval attached to it with sharp edges all over. Fingers are a series of tubes. More ovals for finger joints. There you go.

Hogarth's hands are fucking scary. Holy shit.

Thanks
    Managed to get one page done before exhaustion took over. Got home pretty late today and then had a lot of study to go over. I'll catch up.

Didn't really know what you mean by simplified construction, by the way. So I just drew hands and some basic bone structure. Happy with my second attempt at the same hand on the right side.

Yours are good generally. A little shading is needed to add volume to the unshaded ones though.

Thanks
    Not really satisfied with today's work. Pretty much all problems are a result of fighting to fit drawings on the page. I can't draw small, everything wants to be bigger. When adjusting relative sizes things go wrong, thumbs tend to get HUEG.

Thanks
    Hot cocks, it's difficult to draw with one hand strained still in a pose.

Need to work on foreshortening some time because I am lacking.

Thanks
    You know when you mean to get started at 7PM but somehow it's 9:30PM but the time you put pencil to paper? Yeah.

Spent a while looking for reference photos with expressive hands, couldn't really find much in the stuff you linked. First page is from references. Fairly good sketch, I think, although his right hand could be a little larger. Second page is from imagination, index finger is too long even though I realize AFTER I finished that I know that it should be as long as palm. Fucked the whole thing by off handedly sketching the body facing forward as it should be turned if both hands are the same size. The shoulder of the gun arm is smaller because it should be further back while the pointing arm is forward and bent.

Gonna get pencil lead tomorrow and draw everything I need to catch up on in the morning. On a whole I think this week has gone well. I'm so much better at hands than anything I've done for weeks.

@HH
    I think you've done well too, sorry for not offering enough critique recently. I think you could improve your hands by drawing more crease lines and using shading to give volume. There are lots of roundness on the hands and a bit of U shaped shading could really help to show how the knuckles stick out or how there are separate segments to each finger.

Also, take note of how much the knuckle line curves, it can look a little straight on hands facing the palm. Still on the knuckles, on your most recent, the thumbs up hand you've drawn the knuckles as even bumps. Make a fist and see how much the middle knuckle juts out while the little finger knuckle barely registers.

Thanks
    Fuck, I should never have advised you to shade. Showing me up with your vastly superior effort. Sooo good, fuck you. Your best hands easily.

I dicked around a lot today. First page is trash, mixture of imagination and photo ref. I wasn't feeling it all. Took a break, draw some nonsense I refuse to post with one of those idea generators, watched some Star Trek and drew the second page which I am a lot happier with. Also didn't get as much done as I should have but I feel that hands are something I can quite happily sketch whenever, it's not something that requires set up and I understand hands a lot better full body figure drawing.

I'll email the task for this week, after I think of what it is.

Thanks
    Comments tomorrow, it's really quite late.

One figure is more than enough, I discovered.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HederaHiberna View Post
    Second page does indeed look way better. Is it also a mix of reference and imagination ?
    The left has was from imagination, the bottom from reference and top a larger version of a small, undetailed graphic.

I think you did a really good job. As always your shading and smoothness of the tones is really quite pleasant. Keep it up.

My Monday piece took so long it deterred me from doing anything on Tuesday. I suppose I could have held back but I'd started and that means I was going to finish, I just wish brass instruments weren't so horribly complicated. Not overtly obvious but the head is too small, the whole jaw area should be longer but no matter. Too bad I couldn't find anything that showed off the hands more.

Today I obviously took it easy but I wasn't feeling it. His right hand I drew too small and couldn't do anything but very limited shading, making it look flat. I like the fact that the torso actually has a bit of volume to it but I struggled to represent the hairiness of his body. If I tried again and put more time in I could have done better.

Thanks
    Sorry, missed yesterday and today. I'm a lazy piece of shit.

Thanks
    Quite happy with today's but it took a while and there are problems. Not enough range in the values which I recognized early on but really didn't what to fuck up a face I was quite pleased with, so I kept to light shading that doesn't really come out well on camera.

In the reference there's some heavy defocus on the fingerboard hand, pegs and scroll which I couldn't really mimic. Also got a bit lazy on the strings and fingerboard. The fingerboard isn't even grey, it's black and the strings are light metallic.

@HH
    Obviously I can't see the source but it doesn't seem so bad if you redo the legs, since they don't quite attach and the torso isn't bad.

The arm hair doesn't look bad but it's totally not accurate as the hair is wavy and obeys no man, plus it's all over his chest too.

Well, I play the viola, so I'm familiar with instruments in the same family, as in I could tell you the difference and draw them too but I didn't draw upon any knowledge for that picture. I just spent a butt load of time with a ruler, checking and rechecking the reference, working my way down bit by bit.
    Last edited by Eat the Path; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    @HH
    Complete that one. If it looks weird to you it's probably because the rib cage and pelvis look a little close together but it's perfectly workable.

I kind of rushed today. It was a good reference but the values are too light, which I don't work well with. The head is wrong because it should extend off of the page.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast