Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Comments tomorrow, it's really quite late.

One figure is more than enough, I discovered.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HederaHiberna View Post
    Second page does indeed look way better. Is it also a mix of reference and imagination ?
    The left has was from imagination, the bottom from reference and top a larger version of a small, undetailed graphic.

I think you did a really good job. As always your shading and smoothness of the tones is really quite pleasant. Keep it up.

My Monday piece took so long it deterred me from doing anything on Tuesday. I suppose I could have held back but I'd started and that means I was going to finish, I just wish brass instruments weren't so horribly complicated. Not overtly obvious but the head is too small, the whole jaw area should be longer but no matter. Too bad I couldn't find anything that showed off the hands more.

Today I obviously took it easy but I wasn't feeling it. His right hand I drew too small and couldn't do anything but very limited shading, making it look flat. I like the fact that the torso actually has a bit of volume to it but I struggled to represent the hairiness of his body. If I tried again and put more time in I could have done better.

Thanks
    Sorry, missed yesterday and today. I'm a lazy piece of shit.

Thanks
    Quite happy with today's but it took a while and there are problems. Not enough range in the values which I recognized early on but really didn't what to fuck up a face I was quite pleased with, so I kept to light shading that doesn't really come out well on camera.

In the reference there's some heavy defocus on the fingerboard hand, pegs and scroll which I couldn't really mimic. Also got a bit lazy on the strings and fingerboard. The fingerboard isn't even grey, it's black and the strings are light metallic.

@HH
    Obviously I can't see the source but it doesn't seem so bad if you redo the legs, since they don't quite attach and the torso isn't bad.

The arm hair doesn't look bad but it's totally not accurate as the hair is wavy and obeys no man, plus it's all over his chest too.

Well, I play the viola, so I'm familiar with instruments in the same family, as in I could tell you the difference and draw them too but I didn't draw upon any knowledge for that picture. I just spent a butt load of time with a ruler, checking and rechecking the reference, working my way down bit by bit.
    Last edited by Eat the Path; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    @HH
    Complete that one. If it looks weird to you it's probably because the rib cage and pelvis look a little close together but it's perfectly workable.

I kind of rushed today. It was a good reference but the values are too light, which I don't work well with. The head is wrong because it should extend off of the page.

Thanks
    I missed out yesterday because I got home from at 6PM and then spent 3 hour building a computer to realize that it had a dead on arrival motherboard, so I wasn't much in the mood but I wanted to draw the first dog, therefore here it is today.

Although it might seem like an excuse to do less work, and this only really took me thirty minutes to do, I think it's definitely possible to over think a drawing like this. Too much shading detracts from the overall. I wanted to draw a bit more stylized but I couldn't find a way to draw tufts of fur simply. What I did sort of works, I'm happy with the result. The neck is short though, thankfully it just makes it look like a slightly different breed of dog rather than wrong.

You did better representing the fur in the second picture but yeah, the proportions are off. The curve of the spine is a bit too much, it should be almost flat. The two front legs should be further forward and can appear further apart if you show the squareness of his chest below the dewlap. Consider the balance when placing the legs. Give dogs tummy rubs for research purposes if that helps to get to know the shape.

Thanks
    I don't think it's possible to simply this one in the same way as Monday's. There's too much variation of tone in the fur. I struggled to find a way to pull this off without spending a huge amount of time shading but it didn't really work so well, would have been better off putting the time in. It's okay though, mine is too long because I wanted to fill the page.

@HH
    Holy broken proportions, Batman. Things are off all over the place and the fur is too simplistic. Attached expertly mouse draw comparison guide.

And yeah, the head was a little big or the body a little small. Paws are okay if you think that the lower half is obscured by grass.

Thanks
    @HH
    The sketch is better than the previous attempt, there's more of a sense of motion. Forward leaning weight bearing limbs imply that they're going to be lifted and that there's a general forward motion going on. But yeah, not long enough, like you said.

I wonder if there's a general proportion guide for dogs out there.

The new drawing has good character but general proportions are off here and there. The lower back is most noticeable, followed by the smallness of the shoulder and back area.

My attempt is okay. Think I did better with the fur but the back legs aren't stretched out long enough and the head should be pointing directly downwards. He looks more like he's moving forward, about to bring his hind legs forward for the landing, rather than leaping upwards to land on his front paws.

Thanks
    How is it possible to draw fur caked with snow? This fur business is not easy when attempting any level of realism and accuracy. Today's is okay but hugely let down by two minor mistakes: lower jaw is far too wide, making the head overall look wrong and his lower right leg isn't long enough, ruining the sense of motion. I also drew too small, that was probably my downfall.

Thanks
    Okay, yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing either. You can forget the rings thing. I only wanted to concentrate on individual sections of the body and I think guessing weird ring everywhere detracts from that.

I didn't spend enough time on this anyway and I haven't for a while. Caution to those who set themselves times of day to draw and then when it gets to that time feel it's acceptable to put it back an hour again and again.

Attachment manager isn't working right now, so I'll try again in the morning.
    Last edited by Eat the Path; July 3rd, 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    I think I might have explained the exercise poorly. I meant the whole crotch area, including the thighs but no further, likewise, the bottom of the ribs and no higher.

Tomorrow will focus on the ribcage area.

If tackling the entire body at once is difficult then I thought we could both benefit from going over body specific body sections. I especially wanted to do today's work because the part I have the least understanding of. I think I understand it better now; I've learned how important it is to try and show the shape of the underside of the belly because it expresses the volume of a much larger area when done right. It also doesn't hurt to show the roundness of a thing by drawing circles around it, as long as it's subtle, which wasn't something I was.

@HH
    Good that you chose to draw real people when given the opportunity, I like the boys and the left handed drawing made me laugh. Looks like something drawn in earthquake.

Thanks
    Feel pretty good about this. Despite efforts to be lazy I am learning something, I was able to put together each figure from simple lines without having to make any real adjustments. I erased about two lines over the course of this page and I think it looks good. My knowledge hasn't really changed but my understanding of the shape of the body is better.

I could just be talking out of my ass though. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks
    Unsurprisingly the value of shaping the deltoid and biceps is apparent.

Spent pathetically little time on drawing this week. Discovered Tekkit pack for Minecraft, so I spent most of this time programming drones on virtual machines and setting up pump systems to power machinery. I also got a music keyboard from work, so I'm going to learn to play piano. And the Steam summer sale is right around the cover, lawl.

@HH
    Your heads from before, I like the bottom left and top right. The head has more volume than the others, helped by the way the jaw has been drawn.

The digital hand is good but generally your digital stuff needs smaller brush sizes. If you spent more time on each I see no reason why you couldn't produce something good.

Thanks
    Well this felt like a colossal waste of time. Noses are probably the most boring subject matter known to man to draw. I fucked up a good part of it by not realizing that I had some 0.7mm carbon left. Faces and noses 1 to 4 were all done with 0.9mm which feels so ham fisted compared to 0.7mm, it's just a totally different experience. I want to find and try out a 0.5mm some time soon.

I should have done eyes and done a good job of it too because of the near specular job you did yesterday, it makes me jealous and inspires me to compete with you. Where the hell did you pull that from?

Thanks
    Nothing of value. I can't shade for shit, so this was never going to turn out good.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast