Sketchbook: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comments tomorrow, it's really quite late.

One figure is more than enough, I discovered.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HederaHiberna View Post
    Second page does indeed look way better. Is it also a mix of reference and imagination ?
    The left has was from imagination, the bottom from reference and top a larger version of a small, undetailed graphic.

I think you did a really good job. As always your shading and smoothness of the tones is really quite pleasant. Keep it up.

My Monday piece took so long it deterred me from doing anything on Tuesday. I suppose I could have held back but I'd started and that means I was going to finish, I just wish brass instruments weren't so horribly complicated. Not overtly obvious but the head is too small, the whole jaw area should be longer but no matter. Too bad I couldn't find anything that showed off the hands more.

Today I obviously took it easy but I wasn't feeling it. His right hand I drew too small and couldn't do anything but very limited shading, making it look flat. I like the fact that the torso actually has a bit of volume to it but I struggled to represent the hairiness of his body. If I tried again and put more time in I could have done better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, missed yesterday and today. I'm a lazy piece of shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite happy with today's but it took a while and there are problems. Not enough range in the values which I recognized early on but really didn't what to fuck up a face I was quite pleased with, so I kept to light shading that doesn't really come out well on camera.

In the reference there's some heavy defocus on the fingerboard hand, pegs and scroll which I couldn't really mimic. Also got a bit lazy on the strings and fingerboard. The fingerboard isn't even grey, it's black and the strings are light metallic.

@HH
    Obviously I can't see the source but it doesn't seem so bad if you redo the legs, since they don't quite attach and the torso isn't bad.

The arm hair doesn't look bad but it's totally not accurate as the hair is wavy and obeys no man, plus it's all over his chest too.

Well, I play the viola, so I'm familiar with instruments in the same family, as in I could tell you the difference and draw them too but I didn't draw upon any knowledge for that picture. I just spent a butt load of time with a ruler, checking and rechecking the reference, working my way down bit by bit.

Last edited by Eat the Path; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HH
    Complete that one. If it looks weird to you it's probably because the rib cage and pelvis look a little close together but it's perfectly workable.

I kind of rushed today. It was a good reference but the values are too light, which I don't work well with. The head is wrong because it should extend off of the page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I missed out yesterday because I got home from at 6PM and then spent 3 hour building a computer to realize that it had a dead on arrival motherboard, so I wasn't much in the mood but I wanted to draw the first dog, therefore here it is today.

Although it might seem like an excuse to do less work, and this only really took me thirty minutes to do, I think it's definitely possible to over think a drawing like this. Too much shading detracts from the overall. I wanted to draw a bit more stylized but I couldn't find a way to draw tufts of fur simply. What I did sort of works, I'm happy with the result. The neck is short though, thankfully it just makes it look like a slightly different breed of dog rather than wrong.

You did better representing the fur in the second picture but yeah, the proportions are off. The curve of the spine is a bit too much, it should be almost flat. The two front legs should be further forward and can appear further apart if you show the squareness of his chest below the dewlap. Consider the balance when placing the legs. Give dogs tummy rubs for research purposes if that helps to get to know the shape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it's possible to simply this one in the same way as Monday's. There's too much variation of tone in the fur. I struggled to find a way to pull this off without spending a huge amount of time shading but it didn't really work so well, would have been better off putting the time in. It's okay though, mine is too long because I wanted to fill the page.

@HH
    Holy broken proportions, Batman. Things are off all over the place and the fur is too simplistic. Attached expertly mouse draw comparison guide.

And yeah, the head was a little big or the body a little small. Paws are okay if you think that the lower half is obscured by grass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HH
    The sketch is better than the previous attempt, there's more of a sense of motion. Forward leaning weight bearing limbs imply that they're going to be lifted and that there's a general forward motion going on. But yeah, not long enough, like you said.

I wonder if there's a general proportion guide for dogs out there.

The new drawing has good character but general proportions are off here and there. The lower back is most noticeable, followed by the smallness of the shoulder and back area.

My attempt is okay. Think I did better with the fur but the back legs aren't stretched out long enough and the head should be pointing directly downwards. He looks more like he's moving forward, about to bring his hind legs forward for the landing, rather than leaping upwards to land on his front paws.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How is it possible to draw fur caked with snow? This fur business is not easy when attempting any level of realism and accuracy. Today's is okay but hugely let down by two minor mistakes: lower jaw is far too wide, making the head overall look wrong and his lower right leg isn't long enough, ruining the sense of motion. I also drew too small, that was probably my downfall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing either. You can forget the rings thing. I only wanted to concentrate on individual sections of the body and I think guessing weird ring everywhere detracts from that.

I didn't spend enough time on this anyway and I haven't for a while. Caution to those who set themselves times of day to draw and then when it gets to that time feel it's acceptable to put it back an hour again and again.

Attachment manager isn't working right now, so I'll try again in the morning.

Last edited by Eat the Path; July 3rd, 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I might have explained the exercise poorly. I meant the whole crotch area, including the thighs but no further, likewise, the bottom of the ribs and no higher.

Tomorrow will focus on the ribcage area.

If tackling the entire body at once is difficult then I thought we could both benefit from going over body specific body sections. I especially wanted to do today's work because the part I have the least understanding of. I think I understand it better now; I've learned how important it is to try and show the shape of the underside of the belly because it expresses the volume of a much larger area when done right. It also doesn't hurt to show the roundness of a thing by drawing circles around it, as long as it's subtle, which wasn't something I was.

@HH
    Good that you chose to draw real people when given the opportunity, I like the boys and the left handed drawing made me laugh. Looks like something drawn in earthquake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feel pretty good about this. Despite efforts to be lazy I am learning something, I was able to put together each figure from simple lines without having to make any real adjustments. I erased about two lines over the course of this page and I think it looks good. My knowledge hasn't really changed but my understanding of the shape of the body is better.

I could just be talking out of my ass though. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unsurprisingly the value of shaping the deltoid and biceps is apparent.

Spent pathetically little time on drawing this week. Discovered Tekkit pack for Minecraft, so I spent most of this time programming drones on virtual machines and setting up pump systems to power machinery. I also got a music keyboard from work, so I'm going to learn to play piano. And the Steam summer sale is right around the cover, lawl.

@HH
    Your heads from before, I like the bottom left and top right. The head has more volume than the others, helped by the way the jaw has been drawn.

The digital hand is good but generally your digital stuff needs smaller brush sizes. If you spent more time on each I see no reason why you couldn't produce something good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this felt like a colossal waste of time. Noses are probably the most boring subject matter known to man to draw. I fucked up a good part of it by not realizing that I had some 0.7mm carbon left. Faces and noses 1 to 4 were all done with 0.9mm which feels so ham fisted compared to 0.7mm, it's just a totally different experience. I want to find and try out a 0.5mm some time soon.

I should have done eyes and done a good job of it too because of the near specular job you did yesterday, it makes me jealous and inspires me to compete with you. Where the hell did you pull that from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing of value. I can't shade for shit, so this was never going to turn out good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HH
    Spent the most time on the first one and went to shit from there. Below one is the result of the amount of images their are on Google images of people who have body modded their ears to look elven. The rest I didn't really care about.

Probably best that you ignore values, I get the impression that the best way to draw ears is to keep it simple.

Today worked out better. I'm still behind and I could have fitted in another row of eyes but it's late. I'll bring my sketchbook to work tomorrow and do some catch up while I wait for rooms of computers to finish imaging.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the work. I love it so much I have to tell you to WORK MORE! Haha. My advice would be to put most of the focus on structure and shape of the object in space. Breaking things down and leave the stuff like hair and skin for last. I am trying my best to do this but habits die hard.

Keep working!

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The piece of shit on the left is obviously from imagination. My biggest gripe with it is the compact pelvis area which is annoying because I'm fully concious of the fact that I tend to make that mistake.

The cross hatching is okay not large enough to express contrast well enough.

The last bit is just a bit of high contrast from a reference.

Okay, I've got a taste for this again. Whatever happens more will come tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't give myself enough time to get references for a scene and game I actually care about, so derp. Alan Wake from reference.

It's not a good idea to use a 0.5mm to block in dark areas. It's hard to get the value even.

@HH
    ConceptArt isn't loading pictures right now, I can't even see what you posted to comment on it. I'll look again in the morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like the file server is up again.

Geralt of Rivia. The lips are wrong because I have no idea what I'm doing. I felt that if I messed around with it any more I'd irreparably break something else, so I stopped. I was going to draw Hyun-ae in a hanbok but it occurred to me that I have no how to draw a female face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really kinda shitty, especially since I decided not to draw the design on the front and back of the tabard. My excuse is that I've been awake for... 36 hours so that I wake up in the morning rather than the afternoon.

@HH
    The problem with the hood is that it's supposed to be almost black, so it didn't really have much definition to begin with. And yeah, your proportions. Left chick isn't so bad but it looks like gave up on the right one.

You mean do I want to compete with you? Yeah, okay. What do you have in mind?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heather Mason. Every attempt to draw the face resulted is so much embarrassment it's better to leave it blank in the end. Otherwise okay, arms a bit long perhaps.

@HH
    The figures good if they're from imagination. Middle nurse has a good face but she's a bit short, she has about one head between her crotch and nipples when she should have about two.

On the hand, don't forget prominence of the middle finger knuckle, it sticks our further than the forefinger knuckle at a profile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firs two pages are worthless. Mostly from imagination, trying to apply what I'd learnt watching Vilppu talk but I can't say it helped. I encountered the usual problems that I don't see a away around.

Third page is all from reference. It's all okay but it's not from imagination, so I don't really care to praise it much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a surprising amount of fun with this. I thought I'd suffer not being able to erase lines but I was able to put it all down and not regret any lines.

@HH
    Your horse head and hippopotami are really good.

What do you do the last page with? Looks like some kind of brush tip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made more mistakes than I'm happy with here. Instead of constructing and outline I just went straight in with cross hatching on the first figure and then worked around that error, so bits are off.

Second figure, his left calf is actually the right size, it's just his left hip and the crease line it makes is wrong.

Should have drawn more today but then I would have to start a new page and fill it. Oh well. Laaaazy~

@HH
    Don't know what I can do about the flat arm. The contrast is high on the upper part so I'm not sure it can help but look squarish. The left arm I did actually misplace. I had to work around a small mistake in that area, the under side of the arm should be lost behind the pectoral muscle lower down.

I think I've got a brush pen around here... somewhere. I might give it a go. I like the hair you've done with it and the profile of the middle figure on the second page but I'd like to see a little more. It's not a great tool for small detail or cross hatcing but you could try blocking in dark areas for some high contrast.

The pencil sketch needs more hair. The back of the head doesn't stick out far enough.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'll be sticking with ballpoint for a while. It has the precision I always wanted in pencil but could never quite reach. Also the way it resists the paper is nice. There's also a lot to learn about technique when using it too, I feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to bad mouth artists in my head for representing fishnets two dimensional. Never again ;_;

Thought I'd draw women for once. Turned out pretty good. Cross hatching is noticeably more measured and even but that wasn't intentional, just sort of happened.

Need to figure out a method for drawing hair and... faces, I guess. Cross hatching on her face looks like facial hair more than anything else. May just be a result of working in so little space, if I did wide spaced hatching across the whole half in shadow it might work. The second model didn't have ringlets but whatever, it's a way of drawing one type of hair that works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh, I'm guessing that this is what you meant?

Unsurprisingly I don't know what the fuck is going on. I spent more time getting the pressure sensitivity to work on this tablet and going through the first three ctrlpaint videos learning the basic controls than I did drawing this.

I'll comment on your previous work when I post the catch up I should have done on those two days. Still got half a page done but I need at least another page and a half but not today, struggling against sleep and losing at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing of value.

I get the idea but it looks nothing like what's in the video, it might help if he made even a mention of the brush settings he uses? Not sure if that would help though, I find it hard to use a tablet, my lines are incredibly shaky and it's near impossible for me to draw a straight line without shift clicking.

Might have better luck with value sketching but I don't expect any miracles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is incredibly frustrating but I at least think I understand what's going on. I should really zoom in and actually start putting in detail but I ran and out of time and not because I didn't give myself plenty. If I revisit it I'd put some brown in the darker areas too but oh well, I'm going to sleep.

@HH
    Yeah, I know but fuck it, it was that or scribble all over it.

Your horse turned out good, even if you had to cheat a bit =P The touches of lighter brown give the pleasant impression of some reflected light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is shit. I don't have much to say about it. Inexperience obvious.

@HH
    Why? I'd just fuck up surrounding areas that don't need to be touched.

Your line sketches are okay but I don't think either of us produced anything that couldn't have been done just doing the last stage first.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1