Sketchbook: Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eat the Path & HederaHiberna - Sketchbook Exchange Diary

This is a joint sketchbook for myself and HederaHiberna as part of a project where we draw daily, post the results and share lessons learned as well as critique. We're both amateurs determined to improve and having someone to learn with provides extra motivation.

Usually, we take turns at the start of each week picking a theme and five reference photos based on that theme, drawing one a day from Monday to Friday. On Saturday we draw from the imagination on the same theme, using what we learnt during the week. Sunday is reserved for finishing off unfinished pieces.

The project has been running for little over a month. The theme of the week are as followed:

Week 1 - Faces
    Week 2 - Jumping People
    Week 3 - Judo
    Week 4 - Gentlemen
    Week 5 - Hands
    Week 6 (current) - Unthemed various + Studying Bridgman

Any and all outside critique welcome, this is not our special tree club house for cool kids only, set-up in a public place for no one to interfere with. Suggestions on activities for the week and paths of learning also very much welcome. Even if you want to just poo-poo the whole idea, that's fine, I guess.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eat the Path For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to upload in chronological order, grouping each week to a post.

These are pre-project drawings when I was drawing for the first time on my own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 1 - Faces

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eat the Path For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 2 - Jumping People

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 3 - Judo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eat the Path For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 4 - Gentlemen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 5 - Hands

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eat the Path For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 6 (current) - Unthemed various + Studying Bridgman (mostly turned into sketching poses)

Last image is Thursday's upload. Satisfied with this whole sketching poses from posemaniacs, probably going to keep on doing this whenever. Think buying a mechanical pencil will make the whole thing easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HederaHiberna

So I'm the other member and below you find my efforts.
    I still have some catch-up work to do.

Week 1:

Week 2:

Last edited by HederaHiberna; April 20th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First sketch is an almighty clusterfuck of horrible mistakes. Decided to take the reference, sketch it quickly and then draw it model from different angles. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't imagine it. Somewhat disturbing as it should just be a matter of, well, observation and logic but my brain collapsed like so many punctured lungs. The reference sketch is okay but the stomach is too long as I didn't realise how short the model was.

Second sketches are the usual deal. I enjoy those quick sketches and I'm consciously aware of the learnings seeping in but the legs are slightly too long in two of the sketches.

I also found a mechanical pencil which makes chicken scratching considerably easier. Yay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again had fun doing sketches, despite obvious mistakes of the ever expanding man. Really beginning to understand the shape of the muscles and why they are. Legs are fun to draw.

Week 7 will be reading "Ron Tiner - Figure Drawing Without A Model" as well as drawing a model per page, drawn many different angles, four pages a day minimum. What I drew today is the kind of thing I'm getting at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun, fun, fun.

A little less accurate than I know I could have done these but I deliberately did them with some haste. Might spend a little more time on faces tomorrow though. Badly marked in facial features just make the whole thing look a little shitty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the idea of this blog!! And I'm the first to comment So, welcome!!
    The only tricky part is going to be separating your guy's work apart from each other.

You guys have very different styles which is cool because you can learn from each other.

The first thing I notice with you Eat the Path is your lines, try to make them smoother and lighter. Let your pencil skate on the paper don't press down so hard and if you want the darker lines, use a darker pencil but its better to work very light anyway and that's something I need to work on too! Also, when drawing realistically try not to outline so much. Work your lines into your figure and give some shape to the drawings

As for you Hiberna, your shading is great and I love your heads (I'm bad at them )but try working on proportion. One way you can do this is by working on structure and gesture! Structure can also help round out your shading too!

How about for your next few weeks you guys work on gesture within the figure, identifying structural shapes, and definitely some foreshortening!

Keep posting! I want to see more!!!

Last edited by nichsweetd19; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nichsweetd19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Short by one sketch because I've run out of time; doing early shift at work tomorrow.

Generally same as usual. First page of sketches is wonky due to not drawing the head first and having to squash it up at the top. Third picture, figure on the left came out worse than the rest because I decided to plan ahead rough in some key locations before I connected them up. Turns out just doing it by eye works a lot better for me and I guess it's good that the proportions are not horribly wrong because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by nichsweetd19
    The first thing I notice with you Eat the Path is your lines, try to make them smoother and lighter.
    Yeah, I always knew that in reality there are not dark outlines to everything but it helps so much to have clear divisions. I'll drop that habit when I get as good as HH at shading.

Thanks for the comment and advice. HH expresses the same sentiment but is too unconscious right now to state such.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today is the day of the missing feet. Proportions are more or less correct but my planning is a little lacking. Busy day, ran out of time, two sketches will be produced on Sunday.

Used much harder pencil this time and turned out more shitty than normal. I guess I'm inclined to blame the pencil because I don't normally make the obvious mistakes you can see.

Getting kinda bored of this exercise. I want to start applying my knowledge to something, although I'll probably forget it all and freeze up when I'm required to use it.

@HH
    Yes, I don't spend much time on the fingers, usually because it's kinda unclear on some of the models with low res textures.

First image is a bit inconsistent. The weird pose and having to overlap sketches probably didn't help.

Second image, bottom right figure is pretty good. The torso looks like it has the correct thickness and volume to it. Generally head shapes have improved.

Last edited by Eat the Path; April 25th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I'm three pages behind on account of a bottle of white wine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, there's nothing like unemployment to make someone a complacent layout, so hopefully you'll use your new free time for the good of artistry.

You pointed out the problem with the first page, there's no real consistency in the amount of body fat and the placement of the pelvis between the sketches. It's a good exercise though, I want to study different body types too but maybe less fat, not just for the sake of our eyes but to identify where body fat deposits actually around on the body. If you look at the lone stomach you drew you can see how the body fat builds up around the gut area, not just in the general area.

Arms feel a tad bit short on the first figure of page 2 but it could be down to the pelvis placement. Hips look more accurate in figure 2.

Third page isn't bad. Second figure is good, albeit off balance.

There's merit to the fourth page. There are some good shapes there and I think you might have benefited from not giving yourself a change to over think anything.

Only three pages today, no real excuse, just kinda tired. Heads and faces are fucked but overall consistency of decent bodies is pleasing. Figure 1 on page 1, his shoulders are fucking beautiful, like, the ideal shape and distance apart. Enjoyed action pose of the second pages, something just strikes me as right about them, although the right leg could be a little overstretched, in fact, it is.

I realize that I hate not having enough space to draw, I like to draw big. Going to buy sketch books tomorrow, might get something a little bigger as well as some A4 books with finer paper. I was given some graphite crayons I want to draw out on a big piece of paper. Also about to fill up my first sketch book, feel a little bad that a majority of the book are these rough sketches mixed with 20 or so pages of more detailed work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HH

Page 1, figure 1, shoulders are bit underdeveloped. Figure 3 is good. Page 2, first two figures are better than the rest but generally good, like the hair. Page 3, again, generally good, evidence of improvement. Page 4, figure 1, shoulders way too narrow, the edge of the pectoral muscles should be roughly in line with the edge of the kneecaps. Figure 2 is the best of that page. Page 5, the ass just needs to be a bit more rounded and the fingers need to be reworked, it's basically impossible for a person to have their index and middle finger curving away from each other and then inwards. Good effort though.

First picture from me is fucking embarrassing, like, I seriously considered pretending I never drew this, it's that bad. Second picture is better, a bit basic since it's from the profile and the legs might be a bit short(?). Third picture is better and is proof that warming up with a few sketches first is a good idea. Thighs could be a little chunkier, head may be a little small. Otherwise looks acceptable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is complete bullshit, I'm, like, legally blind.

Draw the first one, okay-ish. Drew the second one totally wrong, why would I think that the right leg went to the left and not the right? Why? Posemaniac went down for an hour or so, so I had to wait to draw the proper rotation and then made a worse job of it than I did than the second.

This is all that's being done tonight. I wish a had a CRT to monitor to throw out of a window.

Oh and this is Week 7: the week of self-inflicted suffering. Draw a pose from posemaniac, draw the rotation from your imgiantion and then draw the correctly rotated model for comparison.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This exercise might not feel so bad if it didn't involve an overwhelming feeling of how obvious the mistakes you made were having looked at the rotated model. I mean, of course it's suppose to look that way, how did I ever see it any different?

Mistakes are pretty numerous today. Sketches might look quite similar to the third sketch on each page but mostly because they too are badly done. I just don't have the heart to put time and effort into a truly accurate sketch for the purpose of demonstrating how badly I can't draw. Mistakes compounded by the fact that I was taking advice from Loomis and avoiding "petting" in lines, instead trying to use "long sweeps" which doesn't work on account drawing a line perfect first time in one motion is essentially impossible. You just don't have the same control, it might be okay for a more liberal interpretation but not for anything that requires accuracy.

@HH
    Not sure what happened with the first rotation page? Second page is good, although obviously the arms needs to come back and the pectoral muscles come out as well as curve the stomach where the gut pushes it out before coming down and around where the crotch is. Third page, I can see why you bent the knees inwards, I might have made that mistake too.

Read quite a bit of Loomis. He's good, I like him. The whole perspective section is great. The rules he outlines are so beatifically logical, I doubt I will forget them. Bit sceptical on the very idea of using heads as a measurement for proportions on the basis that I think it's tough to project a head measurement down the body seven times without drawing it out but I'll give his ideal rectangles a draw sometime because I want to try it out. One thing he does point out is that drawing a figure without understanding the 3D shape is putting the cart before the horse, which is kind of what we're doing. We've kind of learnt a bit about the outline of the body from different angles but we don't understand the what makes the object it's shape. Our understanding is only skin deep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are full of the usual mistakes. It's just kind of funny to me now.

In the first image I demonstrate something important that I've learned however; the key to drawing the back of someone is in the ass. Seriously, if you can get the ass correct you've basically done, you can go home. The ass shapes the hips which lead into both the legs and torso. Page two shows a good perspective fail from drawing something too 2D. Page three, again, lessons on the importance of butt.

Finished my first sketch book ever today. Three quarters of it is full of my shitty figure sketches but hey, it's full.

I'll have lots of time over the next two day for reading Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried what? ... Oh, whoops. Guess I'm doing timed figure drawing today.

I found this pretty much impossible to do well. Anything lower than 45 seconds is just insanely little time to do anything at all, you barely have time to even look at what you're supposed to be drawing. You definitely did better than I did.

Read some more Loomis. Page 50 to 67 is great, he explains exactly what I wanted to know. We're going to be doing what he suggests next week and doing more detailed figure drawing. I haven't done anything non-scrappy in a while and it irks me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @HH
    Yeah, quick but not that quick. At least I hope not, otherwise you're in serious danger of overtaking me.

First page is pretty face palm all round. Only the last figure on the far right does something to show how the weight of the body is on the left leg.

Got some things correct on the second page but my biggest mistake was not recognising the obvious twist in the body that turns the pelvis towards the jab and means that the left ass cheek sticks out further.

I had no idea what I was doing on the third page and it shows. And once again, once you see how it's supposed to be, the way it should be becomes obvious.

Bought some sketchbooks today. I want to try out the different paper types.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing to upload today because of laziness and it being a bank holiday. Also posemaniac is down right now. Hope to redouble my effort this week because I don't want this to fall apart.

Week 9: Read Figure Reading for All It's Worth by Loomis. Drawings should be accurate with clean lines.

Tuesday: Copy page 26 + 27 & 1 page of models of various heights, using head measurements. No fancy poses required.
    Wednesday: Copy page 50 + 51 + 56
    Thursday: Copy page 59 + 60 + 61 + 62
    Friday: Copy page 63 + 64 + 65 + revisit page 51

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This took a hell of a lot of time, even accounting for my usual behaviour of flipping between tasks and content since I'm in front of a computer, and I didn't have time to finish the last page but I will later because it's worth it.

Bits of inaccuracies here and there. Generally faces need more work, some heads need to be a little wider which is especially apparent on the second figure of third page. Derp.

@HH
    Yesterday's body work is good but I think you can probably see too how the head is squashed. Proportions on the digital work are better than the original draw but that face needs some work.

P.S. Oh and this smooth cartridge paper is lovely. Stains a little easy but otherwise very pleasurable to draw on.

P.P.S Love, with much irony, how Loomis draws high heels on all his women, like it's essential to their body construction along with things like limbs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again this took forever and I need to go to work in six hours but I had fun drawing this. I feel like I'm learning, although there's nothing like drawing figures from the imagination to cement that learning/prove I know nothing.

Some important mistakes on the second page: the man is two head wide, rather than the correct 2 1/3 and the woman is 2 1/3 after I remembered that women are 2 or something. So her shoulders are a little masculine and her hips looked really wrong whenever I widened them, meaning that they're now about the same size as the male.

But no, I am learning, which is why I can spot the consistent flaw in your figures from yesterday, HH. That sounds kind of mean though, you did a good job, your figures have came a long fucking way, holy shit and your shading is good, damn you. The problem is that almost all your figures are short between heads 4 and 6. Remember, navel to crotch is one head and crotch to mid thigh is another of equal distance.

P.S. Again, this paper is so nice. But y u no affordable price?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Four pages was in hindsight a lot to draw. Managed to get down three and a bit.

Mostly pleased with the work and all the figures were drawn measuring out the heads but without looking at any reference to which point is supposed to meet up with whatever feature which is easy enough except when drawing the back. You can't exactly see the chin, nipples, navel, crotch and knee caps looking at the back. Skull shape gives me a bit of trouble but not for any reason I can specify. Also finding it difficult to replicate the way Loomis does the shading of the muscles, I don't see how he can do such exact lines in that way. Is it the technique? The pencil? The paper?

Will finish off on Sunday and include annotations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This does take a longer time and it does look fairly good but you made the same mistake as me, the shoulders and rib cage is too wide on the woman.

Didn't get much done today, although really I did. This exercise just takes forever. It didn't help that I started late and somewhat inebriated. Will finish on Sunday.

For Saturday, yeah, do some full body poses, no reference. Try to include all the correct curves, indents and out-dents of the body. Measure the proportions using heads but only mark them in at the end to determine how accurate you were.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whelp, still pretty high on the scale of 'shit sux' but better than anything I've done from imagination before.

Mistakes fairly numerous. Left arm of the first figure is too long. Low legs might be too short and too narrow. Plus the whole figure should really be more horizontal, that's how I imagined it but what happens when you draw is another matter.

Second figure is wrong. I just didn't know what I was doing. His weight needs to be on one leg but I have no idea how to express that.

I should really practice more but when this is the result or rather I anticipate this result, I'm crippled by a fear of failure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw that page in the book but I don't know how to apply it. It's easy enough to see how it works on a still figure who is exaggerating the fact quite a bit but otherwise, I don't know. All I really should have done is put one foot in front of the other to make it look like walking or something.

Here's another page of ass because I thought some figure practice would be better than just copying which fine, I can do that. Copying is easy and drawing in proportion was never my problem. I just have no idea what the body looks like once I begin drawing. My mind simply shuts off to that information even though I know it all so well because it's all so obvious but when I go to the task the information is just not accessible to me in any shape or form and it's incredibly frustrating. Everything I draw is all in the same childish style as well that's not deliberate, showing that something specific in my brain is going on.

This is becoming self-pitying so let's just move on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1