I think I spent about 25 to 30 hours to finish it one day ago. It was first time. It started by an impulse without any plans in mind. After picking up four bags of paper clay for kids at a local art store last week, I started building it.
I threw away the first frame with wire and paper insert. It didn't turn out good at all.
I used a empty plastic bottle for the frame in second trial. After I finished sanding, the penguin face wasn't look right so I worked on the faces few times.
I made a mistake by choosing water paints. The grey became messy. I'll use acrylic paint.
Before I put paint on it, I thought 'Let's make it as Debian Tux!' so I printed small and big size of Debian GNU/Linux logo on A4 paper. I removed the shape to build two guides, then put another layer of clay on the body.
I destroyed a pink marker for painting the logos. ^^ It was middle of night, I just wanted to finish it. I was lucky to have the pink marker in a drawer.
I made few mistakes: wing shape, overall look is distorted, and balance. Hopefully I'll get these fixed next builds.
I'll build few more penguin chicks with real earth clay and tools. I found a supplier that sells 10kg of earth clay for $10. I need to check it out molding and casting materials that are affordable.
Changed face, put the logos on it.
I would build the following shapes next time.
(made reference sketches from March of the Penguins (2005))
Feel so good!
I'm ready to fly in the ocean.