Art: A penguin chick (04/15/2012)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A penguin chick (04/15/2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A penguin chick (04/15/2012)

I think I spent about 25 to 30 hours to finish it one day ago. It was first time. It started by an impulse without any plans in mind. After picking up four bags of paper clay for kids at a local art store last week, I started building it.

I threw away the first frame with wire and paper insert. It didn't turn out good at all.
    I used a empty plastic bottle for the frame in second trial. After I finished sanding, the penguin face wasn't look right so I worked on the faces few times.

I made a mistake by choosing water paints. The grey became messy. I'll use acrylic paint.
    Before I put paint on it, I thought 'Let's make it as Debian Tux!' so I printed small and big size of Debian GNU/Linux logo on A4 paper. I removed the shape to build two guides, then put another layer of clay on the body.

I destroyed a pink marker for painting the logos. ^^ It was middle of night, I just wanted to finish it. I was lucky to have the pink marker in a drawer.

I made few mistakes: wing shape, overall look is distorted, and balance. Hopefully I'll get these fixed next builds.
    I'll build few more penguin chicks with real earth clay and tools. I found a supplier that sells 10kg of earth clay for $10. I need to check it out molding and casting materials that are affordable.

Changed face, put the logos on it.

I would build the following shapes next time.
    (made reference sketches from March of the Penguins (2005))

Feel so good!

I'm ready to fly in the ocean.

Last edited by k2mountain; April 15th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He looks good! very realistic. I only question whether he can stand without the base. the tail and such hang lower than the feet. Are you going to put him on a block of ice or something?

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks philofmars.

It stand on the lower part of feather and the tail. The bottom area looks ugly too. I can see the plastic bottle and the base imprint.

I can get 20lb of earth clay under $10 which is irresistible. If I find an economic way of preserving clay sculpture, I'll definitely go for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.