Color problem - Corel painter 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Color problem - Corel painter 12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color problem - Corel painter 12

Sorry if this has been asked before or if it's just something stupid that i've missed.

But i'm having this issue where I can't get some of the darker values in my painting. I can get the same value I chose in the mixer but not on the actual painting.

I have the same issue with all brushes and i've tried opening more new documents.
    I can however open other images with black in them and then paint with black, but only in that document.

So.. How do I fix this?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ludic; April 15th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a painter 11/12 colour management issue;
    if you look at RGB values (0,0,0) under the wheel, you have a pure black selected;
    however, due to painter's strange and unobvious default color management settings you see a washed out color on the canvas;
    mixer palette is not color managed (... and hopefully corel won't add this "improvement" later), so you see the correct color swatch there;

now onto suggestions:
    I do not currently own painter 12, so can't tell you how to disable per-document color management completely, but afaik it's possible
    take a look at this thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231388

if you still have some questions, do a google search (google.com "painter 12" color management site:conceptart.org/forums/ ); this question was discussed here before;

and I think it would be a good idea to make a painter 11/12 color management sticky thread because a lot of people get confused with it.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your are using the impasto effect at all then the issue could be in surface lighting. I had similar problem.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I managed to solve the issue by switching from the color profile sRGB-IEC61966-2.1noBCP to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1withBCP which apparently allows the darkest darks.

Should've tried that before posting, so.. sorry. But yeah, maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can also switch to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1

You don't necessarily need "No BPC or With BPC" (Black point compensation)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good advice for sure. I've noticed issues again recently as well with images seeming "washed out" from Painter, and besides this thread I found this as well:
    http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps13_colour/ps13_1.htm
    To sum it up, being a digital painter where your work will mostly be seen on the web, to me it seems like using sRGB-IEC61966-2.1 profile between Painter and Photoshop works well. It looks like Photoshop will turn Painters Default 'sRGB-IEC61966-2.1noBCP' to 'Generic RGB'.
    However I've noticed that with some printers, for canvas prints and such, I often have to Brighten my documents sometimes by 25% (with some other small tweaks) otherwise they print too black. Printing is funky shit though and like the guy says in that article I posted, it's different for every printing machine. Can be really annoying.
    Just as an experiment though, check out one of your images in Photoshop as the ProPhoto RGB which he mentions as being best for Photography... and .. wacky!
    (at least it was for me)
    wow, doesn't seem to work so well with digital paintings where colors are already often really saturated. I tried it with some photos and it does wonders for making it look more vibrant and life-like, but even then some of them are way too saturated with this, so I def. won't be using that.
    You can also try out Generic RGB, and back to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1. Once starting with Generic RGB I often don't like what switching to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1 does to the image, so I'm experimenting with different outputs to see what happens. Trying out some canvas prints soon with those 3 profiles to see the difference that way. Will report back with the results.

Members who have read this thread: 5