Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions? x.x

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirudo View Post
    Erm, one more questions? x.x
    Is there a definite way of holding a pencil when drawing? I hold my pencil like the way I hold it when I write things, and hold it sideways when shading. Am I doing it wrong? o.o
    I guess people would have an intense debate about this*- as a beginner I find this very helpful: http://chiseledrocks.com/main/musing...old_the_pencil

It is shaky and crappy at first but you will get used to it quickly. Especially when life drawing using an easel I found it very helpful.

*If you watch videos of professionals that hold the pencil like a writing instrument, you will see that they still draw with a locked wrist.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirudo View Post
    Erm, one more questions? x.x
    Is there a definite way of holding a pencil when drawing? I hold my pencil like the way I hold it when I write things, and hold it sideways when shading. Am I doing it wrong? o.o
    There are many ways. Those are two of them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Questions? x.x

I have questions again, hahahah, sorry if I keep asking questions. The above picture is I learnt from Glenn Vilppu Drawing Manual, it's about getting the gesture of the figure. The above picture is the one I drew, but I find it hard to do so, as well as find my drawings weird. The manual emphasized on not looking at the models body lines and draw it exactly, it told us to think about the action, the lines have to convey the sense of action in your subject by themselves, to do so we must draw the line that continues after one another. However, I do not understand the action that the manual told me to draw it from how I look at it, thus I kept drawing the exact model's bodyline. Please help me as in how to draw it from the perspective of the way of actions I looked at it and from the action of the model when I looked at it and not the exact bodyline of the model.

Sorry if I make it sound very confusing x.x
    Last edited by Shirudo; April 16th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks
    Honestly. Forget the human figure for now! Go and get a bunch of shapes. Cubes, spheres, bottles etc. Arrange them on a desk and light them. Now draw these non stop until you can copy what you see exactly in front of you. Keep doing this until it drives you crazy, but only stop once you can do this effortlessly!

Once you have mastered this go out and draw from life, observe from the real world and draw everything. After you have built-up your drawing muscles then go look at the human figure.

Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AvP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmmm, so I have to start out for drawing basic shapes?
    Meaning is it ok that I use 'Andrew Loomis - Fun with a pencil', and after that when I set my fundamentals right after one or two month, I'll start on figure drawing using 'Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing for all it's worth'' Is that all right?

Thanks
    It is ok to use anything that teaches you what you need to learn. You have to decide what is gonna be the most use for you. People with expreance can guide you, but only you know what helps you learn the most. Everbody is different. I personally loved "How to Draw the Marvel Way" it 'worked' for me more than some of the more traditional approaches. Everything/approach has its plus and minuses... all that matters is will it help you understand something that you have a problem with.

Thanks
    Hello, it's me again.
    As you know from the first post, I'm a casual drawer from 2 years ago untill now, and working hard to set my fundamentals right with Andrew Loomis's Fun with a pencil book before moving on to his Figure Drawing for all it's worth book.
    Today, my teacher nominated me for a mural painting campaign of my school, and I'm worried about a couple of things. For the ' Fun with a pencil ' book, I've already had difficulty but trying hard to master the circle head structure thing, but I'm afraid that I'm not worth of taking part in that campaign because I've never done painting before, much less studying them with any books. Should I take part in it or not?
    x.x
    Last edited by Shirudo; April 20th, 2012 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks
    Why not?

It's a good opportunity for you to improve. You'll get to meet different artists and learn from each other. Even if you lose, who cares, just use it as a learning experience and work harder! Wish my school has that kind of thing but art is not a really strong subject here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lelinet For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2