where to further my studies

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

where to further my studies

Hello everyone

My name is Eru, I'm 19 years old and I live in New Zealand, so this should clarifiy a little bit about what I want to do to further studying in my country. At the moment I'm studying a Diploma of 3D Animation at Media Design School. I've learn't a lot about Concept art and definately believing this is what I want to do, because I love to create and design in this industry(Game,movies,Children book etc). I have learnt also that my favourite concept Artists I.E. Terryl Whitlatch, Mike Corriero, Jerad S marantz, other artists all studied a degree in Fine Arts or studied at an Art school to further their career.

What I'm asking is, should I study a degree in Fine arts or go to an Art school to learn different techniques. I believe I jumped straight into learning 3D without developing traditional skills or backgrounds. I learn't a bit of painting at school but haven't further things that I love because I do everything digitally.

Next year I've been thinking of doing a Bachelor degree in Game development; the concept art side, or a Degree in something to do with Art.

I'm wanting to know where I could study after 3D animation? Where is the right direction?

I have asked my tutors they said do workshops after class and build your portfolio. Which is my other idea to help me improve

Thank you for you time.

Eruera

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say I'm familiar at all with any schools in New Zealand, but I can answer your other questions.

First of all, as I'm sure you may have heard before, an art school will not make you an amazing artist. I promise. Art schools do a miiighty fine job selling that fantasy to eager students though! And don't get me wrong, a good school can help sharpen your skills, but if you don't have the strong motivation and perseverance to develop skills and depend on the school to "make you good", it won't. Whatever school you go to, cheap or expensive you will and can succeed and produce great work if you are driven to...it's all what you put into it.

Your tutors couldn't be more right, and that should be your very first plan to help you improve. Practice. Practice until you start building confidence in your skill. Once you've built that confidence, start on a portfolio. It will take time, and it won't happen overnight and a school won't make it happen for you. If you can't find it in yourself to pull out some paper and make artwork unless you have a school there to give you assignments or exercises, get out of any art field now.

Great digital artists have strong fine art skills. If you compare an artist who took fine art foundation classes with one who didn't, the differences in their work would be striking. The fine art "foundations", are called such because you build other skills ontop of them. So yes, before you go off and do any degree in art (including digital), you need to learn the basics: elements and principles of design, life drawing, composition, etc. or you'll just be taken as a joke in your future art career. So should you go to an art school and get a degree in fine arts? No way! A fine arts degree is probably the most worthless art degree because there's literally little to no employment in the fine arts, all is strictly freelance. Companies don't CARE what school you went to, or what degree you have or even if you have a degree at all, they just want to see your amazing portfolio and they will judge you on that and that alone. You don't need a degree or certification to say "hey, I know how to draw", that's going to be shown through your portfolio.

If you can, try looking for a community college (I'm not sure if they have them in New Zealand), or a less expensive school to take some foundation classes...2d design, figure drawing, etc. Quite honestly, with "fine arts" classes, you're going to learn the same exact junk at every school you go to because fine arts is incredibly formulaic, so don't waste your time and money going somewhere fancy for it.

Also, make sure you do some work on your own: figure drawings/gestures/environments, set up a still life...ask a family member or friend to pose for you. Buy an art book that focuses on anatomy. You have to be willing to do your own studies, the artists you've mentioned have an incredible handle on anatomy of all sorts of creatures and beings. They may have been presented exercises to touch upon anatomy in schools, but they were only able to really understand it by constant practice and observation. Get some good and honest feedback on your foundation work from other artists you know IRL or find an art community on the internet. You'll soon discover that you can learn quite well on your own.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reddle. You open up to me even more that I couldn't think of someone online who would do that. I understand now, taking the time to practise and improving to develope my skills are my own and frustration seems to happen with me alot when doing it on my own. "I'm going to commit myself to keep trying!". I believe you are a concept artists, hopefully im right, because you seem to understand where was my problem or solution that needed to be solve. I Thank you so much and glad that I have joined this forum for a little support.

Much appreciation Reddles

Eruera

Members who have read this thread: 1