Sketchbook: Jh's Sketchbook - Study! Practice! Apply!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jh's Sketchbook - Study! Practice! Apply!

Hello, Conceptart.org!

So uh, new guy here! My name's Junhong, 20 years old, from Singapore. And I'm hoping to use this sketchbook to hone my skills in drawing and design.

I was fortunate enough to go a digital media design school, where they taught drawing, colour theory, 3D, animation, etc. Halfway through I got hooked onto digital painting and concept art all the while doing 3D stuff for school projects (I specialized in game art and design, which focused a lot of 3D and production). So when I graduated my portfolio works were just all over the place - I had digital paintings here and 3D environments there and all sorts of other random stuff.

I still want to do concept art and design. So after graduation I tried to work on some digital paintings.

And well, all I found out was that my skills were seriously lacking and that it was pointless to do all these paintings if I didn't even get the basics of drawing, anatomy, light and colour right. I did some practicing by myself for awhile but I found it was difficult (and boring) doing it alone. Also it was quite hard to judge my work for myself and to see what are the aspects that I need to improve on. So I decided it was time to stop lurking around forums and to get some serious help!

I really want to improve and I hope you guys will be willing to guide me along. And any critiques, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to join in the activities you guys have here as well!

I'll do my best to update as often as I can. Though in my current situation, I'm afraid I can only post during the weekends as the rest of the time I'll be away from home.

Aaand so, here's the stuff I did recently. I started with a bunch of studies figure studies from photographs, movies and even game screenshots lol. And also a bunch of 30 second poses. They all came out.. well, not so good. But I'll keep on practicing!

Thank you for your patience!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongJh; December 9th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More recent stuff here. More 30 second poses from posemaniacs.com, plus a 10min pose. And some eye studies from photographs.

Now that I look at it my scanner looks a little blurry lol. Or maybe I draw too lightly.

I'll be posting sketchbooks in cghub and polycount.com too. Hopefully that will prevent me from getting lazy and motivate myself to do better each day!

Last edited by LongJh; April 20th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit, that's a lot of studies! Great!

Could you tell me which school you went to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks LastGen! Um, I went to Nanyang Polytechnic School of Digital Media Design. That's in Singapore (where I live). It's a 3 year diploma course.

Here's more 30 second poses and eye studies, some hand studies from life. Also tried some 60 second poses. For some reason my 60s poses look just like 30s ones even though I have twice the time to draw.

These are all the studies I did earlier this week. I'm trying to clear them out of the way so I can post the most recent ones.

Last edited by LongJh; April 20th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone! Here's this week's update - These are last week's work that I scanned today, some hands, nose and face studies. Was trying to study the rough placements of facial features

Btw, I edited the previous pictures so that they are a little smaller and more compact. The previous sizes of the pics were like obnoxiously huge lol.

Last edited by LongJh; April 20th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff! Finally caught up to the present.

First pics are some perspective stuff I did while studying Loomis' Successful Drawing book. Its such an awesome book, though the first few chapters of perspective stuff are pretty intimidating, right now I'm still at the spheres page, and the next few pages are looking even more challenging lol. I have a whole bunch of other perspective stuff but I don't think I'll be scanning those, it's really just a whole bunch of cubes and cones and stuff, not exactly very exciting, though I learned a whole lot.

Next are some really embarrassing heads done in an attempt to draw without reference. I keep messing up the proportions and size of the features. After that I went into a rage and searched "male models" and drew these four head studies.

Last edited by LongJh; April 21st, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your eyes & hands studies are on point. Plus your heads from imagination aren't really bad. Keep posting your work. This is a great start.

"Hit You with So Many Rights, You Gonna Beg For A Left"

Check Out My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blue Gun: Thank you! You are really kind. And yeah, I'm gonna keep on going! NON STOP! NON STOP!

A bunch of stuff this time! I'm dumping my old perspective studies here, which are done along with Loomis' Successful Drawing book. It's not very exciting, yeah, I'm mostly uploading it for archiving purposes.

Name:  Compile_014.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  293.8 KB
    Name:  Compile_015.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  416.8 KB

Next are some digi landscape studies! Haven't touched my wacom in ages lol, so this was pretty fun. Pictures are from terragalleria.com, lots of pretty landscape photos there! My goal here is mostly to study colours (which I'm really pathetic at).

Name:  Compile_016.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  430.8 KB

Aaand more perspective stuff from Loomis. These are done just last week. I'm progressing the pages of that book sloooowly lol. I'm at page 36 now. Getting a little more comfortable with this construction drawing stuff now, though I'm still doing simple forms. Hoping to apply all this to something useful soon.

Name:  Compile_017.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  345.6 KB
    Name:  Compile_018.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  352.8 KB

Last edited by LongJh; April 30th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great perspective studies. Post some anatomical studeis too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cojac: Thank you! And yeah, will be doing more anatomy stuff soon. I realised I haven't done much studies on arms, legs and torsos and stuff yet.

A little slow on the update this time. I entered the imagineFX monthly challenge (the theme was Sky Harbour), so I was kinda busy with that the whole weekend. Soo that's what I'll be posting now!

These are the sketches and thumbnails I did to get an idea of what to draw for the final piece. Originally I planned to have to characters near the foreground buuut I gave up on that idea because I was afraid I couldn't finish it in time. Plus I was also struggling with scale and rendering so I didn't really have the confidence. So I went with itty bitty characters instead.
    Name:  Compile_019.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  337.2 KB

After I decided on what to do, I did a basic perspective drawing first, before scanning and adding more details and linework digitally. The line took a hell of a long time because I kept getting stuck not knowing what to draw next.
    Name:  Compile_020.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  192.8 KB
    Name:  Compile_021.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  313.2 KB

Aand the final piece. To be honest it didn't really come out the way I liked. I struggled a lot with stuff like lighting, colour and design details. There's also so much like "empty" areas all around. Plus it looks pretty bad when zoomed up lol, since the brushwork is really sloppy. Soo I probably will have to practice on all these things. Ahhh still such a long way to go.
    Name:  Compile_022.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  275.0 KB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you do all those studies - just keep at it and you'll improve a lot
    For the landscape studies I would suggest to practice values first before you jump
    into color, so you don't have to concentrate on so many things at once.
    At least that is what I am told quite often, and I think it holds some truth -
    even though I can understand why directly working in color is more fun

Your perspective practices look neat so far.

Good luck, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyraina: Thank you! Yeah maybe I should do some value studies too. I did colour studies mostly because I feel like I'm really, really (really) weak at colours lol.

Anatomy stuff! Some torso studies here. Trying to use the side of my pencil stead of the tip to do values instead of just line. Pretty fun but messy lol. Need to practice controlling my values to do those really nice high contrast drawings.
    Name:  Compile_023.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  298.7 KB

Back to gestures. The last two are done with the side of my pencil, wanted to mimic charcoal.
    Name:  Compile_024.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  449.0 KB

These are some crappy master copies of charcoal figure drawings done by Ryan Woodward. The way he draws with charcoal is amazing, and I wanted to study how he uses so few strokes to convey so much in his figures. Check out his stuff at conteanimated.com, he's crazy!
    Name:  Compile_025.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  197.9 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Some poses from imagination - which are pretty bad lol, need to study proportions of the figure properly, plus learn all the landmarks of the human body so that I know where to render shadows and stuff. Also got a calligraphy pen today! Did some 30s gestures with it and random figure studies with it. And finally some arm anatomy studies.

For some reason I couldn't concentrate properly and I have no idea why soo I didn't do as much drawing as I wanted today. Bleh.

Name:  Compile_026.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  398.6 KB
    Name:  Compile_027.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  399.6 KB

Last edited by LongJh; May 5th, 2012 at 10:04 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More studies! Focused on arm anatomy these few days. Still gotta study a little on the muscle and bone to know how to render the form of the arm properly. Also need to study how the arm works when it's bent and twisted, and how it connects to the shoulders and the torso. Oh yeah, and arms in perspective too lol. Ahh so much to learn!

Name:  Compile_028.jpg
Views: 3010
Size:  297.2 KB

Also tried to do a few full figure poses from imagination. I had to do a really messy way of figuring out the pose though and most of it was guesswork instead of really understanding though. Soo that means I gotta do more full figure studies then.

Name:  Compile_029.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  193.0 KB

Next are some heads from imagination and hands from life. Uhh, I think I was on autopilot when I drew these. Wasn't really concentrating much, especially the hands lol. And my heads are still really terrible bleh. Think I'll be doing head anatomy studies next.

Name:  Compile_030.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  455.7 KB

And lastly some 30s gestures with a calligraphy pen!

Name:  Compile_031.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  368.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some digital painting photo studies. Mostly trying to study colour and lighting, so I used a brush with no opacity setting so I had to see and apply each individual colour instead of relying too much on blending to get the colours.

It's a pretty cool way to practice colours I think, although it doesn't provide blending and shading practice, which is another thing I'm really weak in. I'll most probably do some blending exercises soon! And try to paint some figures as well. To be honest I hardly ever paint figures - it's mostly environments, sooo it's gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Studies from terragalleria
    Name:  Digi - 0005 (09May12).jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  106.8 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0006 (09May12).jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  196.6 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0007 (09May12).jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  106.3 KB

Then a couple of quick ones from imagination - I think they turned out okay, though the colours I've chosen could've been more... harmonious?
    Name:  Digi - 0008 (09May12).jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  126.6 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0009 (10May12).jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  132.1 KB

And last two studies from some holiday travel website.
    Name:  Digi - 0010 (11May12).jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  208.7 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0011 (11May12).jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  101.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update! Did some random thumbnail-ish sketches of environments to see if I can come up with interesting ideas and compositions. For some reason when I started doing these my mind suddenly froze up and I couldn't seem to come up with any interesting ideas aaand so I just sort of vomited out some generic rocks and cliffs and other boring stuff. My imagination seems to be at an all time low recently... has anyone ever experienced this before? And if so, any ideas on how to jump start the good 'ol creative brain?

Also bought a new sketchbook! To be honest I'm really nervous to start drawing on it lol. All my recent studies and sketches were all done on plain old copy paper because there is no pressure. But I guess I gotta get over that fear sooner or later.

Name:  Compile_032.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  226.1 KB

And here's some studies from The Fundementals of Figure Drawing by Barrington Barber that I borrowed from the library.

Name:  Compile_033.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  366.0 KB

And lastly, back some good ol' perspective studies from Loomis!

Name:  Compile_034.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  372.0 KB

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaaaah! I didn't draw anything at all yesterday! Gotta make up for lost time!

More Barrington Barber studies! I changed the male and female figures at the bottom a little though, instead of copying straight from the book - 'cause I felt their poses were a little stiff and awkward. Nooot sure if I made an improvement though.

Name:  Compile_035.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  255.8 KB

Aaand skeletons! Gotta figure out stuff like how the bones twist and turn and landmarks and all that good stuff. Might do some quick skeletal poses in the future maybe?

Name:  Compile_036.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  271.5 KB

I ought to do some sketches and drawings of my own. But lately my mind is totally blank so all I can do are studies. Bleh...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all! Here's this week's stuff.

Started drawing on my new sketchbook! Just some really random stuff. Really messy and badly drawn lol, it reminds me to practice more!

Name:  Compile_037.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  408.6 KB

More perspective studies from Loomis. About halfway through the perspective section, learning new stuff every page, though I admittedly I think I'm going a bit slow. (I keep stopping after doing one page)

Name:  Compile_038.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  365.3 KB

Aaand some heads practice. First one's from imagination - which was a disaster, second one's from photo refs - which are also disasters. I feel kinda bad for the models in the photos I drew from. Will be doing more heads this weekend.

Name:  Compile_039.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  328.6 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LongJh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski - Thank you!

It's been a pretty busy week. But uhhh here's some stuff!

Some envi studies. First one is from imagination, second is from photo ref. Coming up with realistic and harmonious colours is tough!

Name:  Digi - 0012 (26May12).jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  208.9 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0013 (26May12).jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  122.2 KB

Also tried painting some heads. Black and white cuz I'm afraid of colours atm.

Name:  Digi - 0014 (26May12).jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  114.9 KB

Sketches! Went drawing with a friend at mac's. Sketched a character from a manga I was reading and practiced drawing heads.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0002.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  263.3 KB

Portraits from photo refs! Added more shading and stuff instead of just line, think it helps a little, might add more darker values next time. The last two portraits at the bottom didn't turn up so well... sorry about that.

Name:  Portrait - 0007.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  162.2 KB

Aaand finally, more perspective from Loomis! First one is a little sketch projected into perspective as sort of a "test" to see what I have learnt, instead of just copying from the book. Pretty excited cuz the next few pages looks like it's going into more practical perspective stuff!

Name:  Persp - 0026.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  230.7 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0027.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  234.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went sketching with some friends yesterday, practiced nature and stuff. The second pic started off as a tree sketch but soon my impatience took over and I just ruined everything. So I just filled the page with studies of leaves and grass. It's pretty interesting too see how they bend and twist in reality. Need to practice how to draw clumps of foliage and trees though.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0003.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  342.4 KB
    Name:  Sketchbook - 0004.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  336.7 KB

Also, a DRAGON! Haven't done dragons much now that I think about it. My first few attempts were a disaster though, because of my lack of knowledge of animal anatomy.

Name:  Sketches - 0003.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  306.7 KB

And finally some figures from imagination. Still bad... yeah. Curse my messy lines!

Name:  Figure - 0019.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  257.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update! Been a pretty busy week, soo I didn't really get to squeeze as much drawing as I would've liked. But here's what I got so far!

Painted some eye studies from photos in photoshop. Mainly focusing on practicing colours and rendering.

Name:  Digi - 0015 (03June12).jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  121.8 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0016 (03June12).jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  101.8 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0017 (03June12).jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  96.0 KB

Then trying to apply what I learned by painting one from my mind.

Name:  Digi - 0018 (03June12).jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  187.4 KB

Next are more perspective studies (from Loomis as usual). While doing the drawing with the church I ran into a few problems and made a some mistakes, so I did a few other orthographic-to-perspective drawings using simple shapes to practice a little more before moving on.

Name:  Persp - 0028.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  146.3 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0029.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  126.6 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0030.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  146.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aahhh, late update! A bunch of of pics coming! (Some of it's last week's stuff)

I finally got around to do those skull studies that I kept saying I'll do. At first I was on autopilot a little - drawing without thinking much - cuz I had no idea what I was supposed to be concentrating on. The skull shape? The position of the features? But after awhile I started focusing on the planes of the skull - where the forms turn, etc, hope it'll come in handy when I start drawing/painting heads.

Name:  Anatomy - 0016.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  200.3 KB
    Name:  Anatomy - 0017.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  186.7 KB

Next are some studies I did as practice for my entry CGHub's Anatomicae challenge - Fog, Lights and Rock & Roll. Mostly studying musician poses and the underlying form and anatomy, also trying to capture their movement and energy and stuff - man, am I bad at this. Bleh.

Name:  Figure - 0020.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  Figure - 0021.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  145.0 KB
    Name:  Anatomy - 0018.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  167.6 KB

Also, some heads. Some reffed, some not. You can probably tell which is which.

Name:  Portrait - 0008.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  190.7 KB

Aaaand as usual - perspective practice! I'm still working on the same page of Loomis' Successful Drawing where it touches on the basics of 2-pt construction drawing. Drawing a bunch of random buildings get a better understanding of some problems I'm having.

Name:  Persp - 0031.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0032.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  180.3 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0033.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  183.4 KB

And finally some black and white composition sketches I did for CGHub's Anatomicae challenge. Trying to come up with some interesting lighting effects and a nice composition. Reffed from a few music videos of the awesome japanese all-girl rock band - Scandal!

Name:  Digi - 0019 (16June12).jpg
Views: 947
Size:  85.9 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0020 (16June12).jpg
Views: 915
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0021 (16June12).jpg
Views: 917
Size:  75.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, sorry, another late update. Busy, busy week. But here's some stuff!

Some fog studies done for CGhub's Fog, Lights and Rock&Roll Anatomicae challenge. Hopefully the practice will help me in doing misty mountains and foggy scenes in the future!

Name:  Digi - 0021 (17June12).jpg
Views: 905
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0022 (17June12).jpg
Views: 907
Size:  123.6 KB

Aaaaand the final! Learnt quite a bit doing this one (I originally added a bunch of random photoshop blur effects, but in the end I don't think it did much to improve the picture, so yeah, also got a reminder that less is more!) Oh, and you can check out the WIP and stuff here!

Name:  Shunkan Sentimental (18June'12).jpg
Views: 906
Size:  325.4 KB

Lip studies! Found out that I rarely draw mouths that are slightly open - it seems all I ever do are closed mouths. Also, teeth.

Name:  Digi - 0023 (18June12).jpg
Views: 895
Size:  56.5 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0024 (18June12).jpg
Views: 886
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0025 (18June12).jpg
Views: 903
Size:  71.8 KB

Aaand one from memory after the practice.

Name:  Digi - 0026 (18June12).jpg
Views: 884
Size:  103.6 KB

I still got a bit more stuff to post soon!

Last edited by LongJh; June 23rd, 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updaaate!

More perspective practice! Ran into a few curved edges problems in the first one, plus made a bunch of wierd mistakes. So did a few more simple exercises. Think I'll be doing a couple more before moving on.

Name:  Persp - 0034.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  158.9 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0035.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  160.5 KB

Next are some nose studies in photoshop! I realised I'm pretty bad at noses - like how the nose forms differ from each other and stuff. Also I think I was being pretty sloppy with the rendering and colour observation. The last one is from memory/imagination. It looks... pretty bad lol. In my mind I had no idea what a natural nose was supposed to look like.

Name:  Digi - 0027 (20June12).jpg
Views: 862
Size:  46.3 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0028 (20June12).jpg
Views: 853
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0029 (20June12).jpg
Views: 853
Size:  37.9 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0030 (20June12).jpg
Views: 844
Size:  83.3 KB

Next are some heads studies/practice. When I draw heads without reference I'm still samefacing a lot. Ugh. Trying to understand and capture different features.

Name:  Portrait - 0009.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  257.4 KB

Aaand lastly, a sketch and a study! Done on copy paper cuz I'm still too scared to draw on my sketchbooook.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0008.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  287.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, another update here.

First up, a naked sword dude from imagination! It had 10000 mistakes so I did a few studies of the really bad ones for practice. As usual - need to improve on line quality, anatomy, dynamic pose/gesture, etc.

Name:  Figure - 0022.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  233.4 KB

Next are some pencil rendering practice. Used tissue papers to get that smooth blend. I borrowed a book on drawing/rendering portraits that advised me to do a few of these a initial practice.

Name:  Sketchbook - 0009.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  153.3 KB

And some more perspective stuff. The last two are studies from Loomis' Successful Drawing book. I tackled the church drawing again and finally moved up one page. Yay.

Name:  Persp - 0036.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  126.9 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0037.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  180.5 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0038.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  178.5 KB

Aaand lastly, some portrait studies! A few of them are studies of drawings by the amazing Alex Pascenko!

Name:  Portrait - 0010.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  180.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaah busy busy. Also, a tiny update! It's last weekends' stuff. Managed to squeeze some time to post it up!

Wtf is this thing? It's so bad I just had to post it to remind myself how much I suck.

Name:  Portrait - 0011.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  170.9 KB

Borrowed How to Draw Lifelike Portraits by Lee Hammond and started on some nose studies. Not really digging the blending/rendering method (cuz I feel it takes waaaay too much time for me) but I did it anyway. It's got a pretty nice look but I think I still prefer hatching or just simple shading.

Name:  Anatomy - 0019.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  169.2 KB
    Name:  Anatomy - 0020.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  182.7 KB

Aaaand some portraits from imagination. I think I improved a bit (but just a little bit). I seem to have this bad habit of drawing eyes too close together.

Name:  Portrait - 0012.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  130.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! great to see so many people from cghub over here as well! i just started mine over here recently :b anyways your perspective and values look pretty goods but your proportion and anatomy is where work is need so just keep hitting those studies and practices!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm from Singapore too man. Looking for a sketch group to do life drawing, people and places etc, together. Are you in a group of any sort?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_ - Hey! Great to see you here too! Yeah I started sketchbooks at both CA and Cghub, mainly to get more exposure and advice - it's basically the exact same stuff. Though I'm more active over at Cghub - shameful, but true, I ought to hang out at CA more. Man, I wish I had more time to browse! Ah and thanks for the comments, yeah I'll work on those aspects more!

maelstromwrath - Hi! Nice to finally meet more SG people lol! Um, I'm currently not in any sketch group either (I'm looking for one too!), mainly due to time issues. I'm in NS now lol, soooo time is a big factor for me, I mainly draw at home or sometimes with my old poly friends (though we mostly just goof off instead of drawing seriously haha). But it would be cool to meet up with more people who're in this line and draw together - would be fun! Are you schooling now?

Ahh also, more updates for this week! My focus was a little off this weekend. I basically wasted a lot of time rolling on the floor and getting drowsy for no apparant reason.

The usual perspective from Loomis. Should apply all this into something useful soon.

Name:  Persp - 0039.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  123.7 KB
    Name:  Persp - 0040.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  131.0 KB

Some heads from imagination. I flipped this drawing in photoshop, and my mind exploded from how bad the mirrored image looked, everything was like distorted, I'll have to take note of this, must be the angle I'm drawing with on paper. Also my faces all still look too similar.

Name:  Portrait - 0013.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  180.8 KB

Lips studies after Lee Hammond's How to Draw Realistic Portraits book. I apologize for the freaky looking heads on the second picture, especially the supposedly-female-looking one. I was more concentrated on where lips should be placed and totally neglected everything else.

Name:  Anatomy - 0021.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  177.6 KB
    Name:  Anatomy - 0022.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  205.2 KB

And lastly, some digi studies from Terragalleria. Uh, I'm bad at drawing tree branches. I always get too impatient/lazy. Sorry.

Name:  Digi - 0031 (08July12).jpg
Views: 725
Size:  112.8 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0032 (08July12).jpg
Views: 730
Size:  236.2 KB
    Name:  Digi - 0033 (08July12).jpg
Views: 730
Size:  153.8 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1