Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Illustrations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Illustrations

Hi

I did these illustrations for my portfolio and would like some feedback

And you can check my portfolio here: http://www.behance.net/portfolio/projects

Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too much grunge and brush-fest. i don't think you can call these illustrations, they are more like photo-edits.

Last edited by Bette; April 13th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bette View Post
    too much grunge and bush-fest. i don't think you can call these illustrations, they are more like photo-edits.
    classy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check if your pf link again - right now you've link to the portfolio of the person who is logged in (if I would have an account, it would show my own portfolio, not yours).

And agreed with Bette - too much brushwork, text barley readable. I shouldn't need 5 seconds to be able to read your name.
    (if you want to keep the pattern and grunge and swirls and text and stuff, check the wolf, it looks like he has a black hole in his snout and like his right eye is a bit squished, there's a swirl around lion that looks like he has a giant ear, the muzzle of the fox ends really weird)

Is there an idea behind the animals? What is the connection between the animals and your cv? Oh, I'm also curious how it looks like with text.

Last edited by Kiera; April 13th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have those brush sets too

What happens if you get a client that needs more than a desaturated photo with a few brush strokes? Or the original photographer decides to sue both the client and you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Softskin View Post
    classy
    Eh? They are photos with the watercolor filter applied, plus some grunge.

Now, that's not a terrible thing. Collage is a perfectly legitimate illustration form. But pulling it all together takes some real finesse, and the end product here is a bit too grungy and not quite as sensitive to the animal forms as it should be.

Also, in a professional critique forum, it's probably worth mentioning that you're presenting a collage. Otherwise, viewers may feel something is being put over on them.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bette View Post
    too much grunge and brush-fest. i don't think you can call these illustrations, they are more like photo-edits.
    Too much hater fest! He's obviously going for that look and you should critique it based on those merits. Mike Orduna is no less grungy and he's pretty fucking successful.

But I'll agree with some of what has been said regarding the use of other professionals photography and clip art. And no I can't see your portfolio.

Here is something you might want to keep in mind. There are allot of people with work that looks like this. Don't take this the wrong way but the effect is pretty easy to create and make it look good. So expect to be involved in undercutting wars unless you can really step it up with original designs.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.