Take the Scholarship?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Take the Scholarship?

Hey guys! After lurking on this site for years I finally decided to make an account to ask my own question. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to know if anybody knows about the credibility/track record of University of Central Florida AND/OR San Jose State University for animation majors?

I am split between these two schools and have an interest in Character Animation as a major. I have also considered SCAD and Ringling, but am not willing to go into debt for the rest of my life. I'm currently a student at a community college looking to transfer after my Associates degree....I am also a Florida resident, I have won a 4-year Florida scholarship that pays 75% of my tuiton costs at any public schools in the state which puts UCF at a financial advantage.

The dilema is, I have heard very little about UCF's animation program from others around the Web (their emerging media school is seperatly called SVAD) and I have yet to find or hear about any students who have went there (I'd be interested in seeing their work). Personally, I like San Jose State University since the major covers both Animation and Illustration which gives you more skills to look at carreer-wise (storyboarding, concept art, character design, etc.). I was not disappointed by their student work one bit and I feel that the California location would provide much more networking and job opportunities...the only problem is paying out of state tuiton costs which would feel ridiculous when I already have a pretty good scholarship in Florida.

What would you do in my situation? I'm very torn on whether I should stick it out in Florida and go to the school that will not cost me much, but that I am not thrilled with, or if I should work my rear off at a minimum wage job to earn enough money to cover $11,000 tuiton + dorm for 2 or 3 years in California at San Jose.
    Any other options or input is welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    id definitly go for it. my brother is dieing to get into the UCF animation program. Hes heard it is pretty good. And plus 75 percent is ALREADY paid for. That wouldnt happen to be the top 10 (i think is the name for it) scholarship or the bright futures scholarship would it? I only ask because i too live in florida.

Before you settle for anything like that, check out ringling, its really expensive but its really amazing.

Thanks
    How good are your grades and portfolio? Have you applied to San Jose and SCAD? Try to see what kinds of scholarships you are eligible for. If I were you, I would also take a look at student work from all the schools you are considering as well as the resources (computer labs, career services, etc.) and then make your decision.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, I have a Florida Bright Future's scholarship. My grades are all A's, save for one B...I do not have a portfolio put together as of yet but I am working on it. I could probably qualify for some sort of scholarship from a private institution. I am applying to SCAD next month, but I don't think it will work out...I've heard SCAD is a lot more generous with scholarships than Ringling, but even with a scholarship of about $10,000 (and the little $1,000, $2,000 ones that are scattered here and there) I'd still be paying 20,000+ per semester for tuition alone which is why private institutions are out of the question, so I'm trying to find the next best thing at a public university, so far UCF and San Jose are the only ones that stuck out. Maybe there are other public schools that have a good animation program that I haven't heard about yet?

I have been comparing faculty and programs so far with the schools I have mentioned. Maybe I should consider touring the campuses. I'm hoping there's someone here who has been to or has experience with UCF or San Jose.

Last edited by Reddles; April 13th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    You definitely should take a look at the campuses. I have heard some good things about San Jose, and if you are stuck on public universities I would give it more weight. It's in California, it's more affordable and since some attention has been focused on it within the design industry, presumably they could bring some studios to recruit from the student body. Keep in mind I have not researched these schools, I am going on hearsay, but San Jose is consistently brought up here at CA as one of the better public programs.

Since you have already gone to community college though, why not see if any classes transfer to SCAD? I am graduating with a BFA soon at a state uni and SCAD shaved off half the curriculum. I could spend three years there and it would cost me 65k after scholarships. Sounds like a lot, but I've visited the campus and the computer labs are to die for. They also get lots of studios and visiting artists. I only mention this because while I've heard both good and bad things about SCAD, they definitely give students access to lots of resources.

Members who have read this thread: 1