Help with hair...and the rest

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Help with hair...and the rest

Hello.
    So I bought my self a tablet and it finally came, nothing great, a simple Bamboo Pen&Touch 3. I've been playing around with it and decided to make a portrait of my cousin together to go along with her birthday gift tomorrow.
    This is my first try at digital painting so I've been watching tutorials and reading about working with Photoshop(http://enliighten.com/ helped a lot). So far I've been working on it for about 5 hours and started it from scratch 3 times already.
    I can't find any tutorials about drawing the hair digitally and I was hoping someone can explain how to tackle it as I can't seem to figure out myself.

I started drawing about 9 month ago and bought the tablet for verity, I'm not expecting to make perfect hair but I'd like to know what are the ways of drawing it.
    Any other critique's and help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know how the enliighten website could have been any use. I watched a couple of videos on there, and it is like watching livestream. What exactly is supposed to be the tutorial? "Breaking it down" says the title of the hand drawing- but all I can see is someone starting to draw a hand and it ends up looking good. There is no set-up, no perspective lines, boxes, breaking down forms, ANYTHING that would help me understand how the hand is painted.

check out this site: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    put the photo up side by side with your painting.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know how the enliighten website could have been any use. I watched a couple of videos on there, and it is like watching livestream. What exactly is supposed to be the tutorial? "Breaking it down" says the title of the hand drawing- but all I can see is someone starting to draw a hand and it ends up looking good. There is no set-up, no perspective lines, boxes, breaking down forms, ANYTHING that would help me understand how the hand is painted.

check out this site: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    I did check out CtrlPaint and other sites including the FZDSchool videos and many others, like I said.
    I wasn't looking for information on how to break down forms or make sure the perspective is right. I prefer learning this using my pencil and sketchbook.
    Enlighten helped me I guess more then the rest because after watching the three parts (1:30 hour) of the female figure drawing I felt like I understood how to start tackling my drawing. First time I've even watched someone paint in real time as I have no interaction with artists irl and watching livestreams and video tutorials never appealed to me.

I'm a complete beginner at digital painting and drawing in general. I've yet to use nothing but simple pencils and for the 9 month I've been drawing I starting rendering my study's only in the last month.

I didn't feel like the free videos on CtrlPaint thought me anything I didn't already figure out on my own by simply praying around with the tablet on Photoshop.

This is my first painting with my tablet, I did nothing before this and while doing this I searched the internet for explanations on how to work and fix the issues I've encountered. While I could find most things and they are something I will get better at with practice hair was not one of them.

I'd like to know how do you go about doing hair like this for example:

I wanted to make the hair not look one mass of black but be made out of strands and I couldn't find something that explains how to do that.

While it to late now and her birthday is in one hour, I'd still like to know what and how do I practice to improve at digital painting.
    This is what I ended up with:

I would have liked to add detail or r some pattern to the shirt but I can make doesn't look any good.
    I checked out the apple painting thread in the Photoshop sub-forum however there and with the rest of the tutorials I've watched I never seen it explained how to add small details.

Anyways, this is getting quite long and I have a birthday party to attend. I guess I need to make a proper introduction, starting a sketchbook and simply posting more on the forums in general. 7 month of stalking the forums are more then enough

dog-faced: I'll do it once I return tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    First and foremost, I would remove that background. It's way too crowded and too dark, it's completely taking away from the person.

As for the hair, while I'm sure there are other ways, I'd say this one is the easiest and most common one;

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.