Thanks

A question about digital programs.

So I have a question: I have enough money for the academic version of corel painter,but not enough for the academic version of photoshop. I know that for digital art, most concept artists rely primarily on photoshop. I was wondering if getting Corel Painter would be worth it for me or if its better if i just save my money and get photoshop?, I was thinking of just getting photoshop elements 10 instead but I really don't know if that program would be suitable. thanx for any advice.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Download demos for both.

Play with them.

See which works for you.

The decide which works for you.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Photoshop would be a wiser choice honestly. As much as I love Painter, Photoshop just has a lot of things going for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I only have elements 7. Kinda sucks. Painters fun for.... well... fun.
    Though looking at your SB it doesn't look like you really need to seriously jump on the digital wagon yet. If anything you can just get Gimp for free. It does what most people would need and since your learning the only thing that matters is your foundations not the tricks of the program. Tricks come later.

Thanks
    I'm not quite up to scratch on the latest versions, but Photoshop always seemed like the digital painting equivalent of a Swiss army knife. In other words, it's pretty good at doing lots of things with image editing. I do have a very big soft spot for Corel Painter, and it's probably much closer to painting traditionally on the computer than Photoshop, although I found it quite hard to get texture in it in the same way I could with real dry brush technique and stuff. I use Photoshop a lot for cleaning up scanned sketches and small paintings. I can't do that with Corel Painter.

All this is a really long winded way of saying they both have their benefits and you should probably try out the demos from both like the guy above said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,420 Times in 350 Posts
    If you go with Photoshop, you may find the very inexpensive program Artrage to be a reasonable substitute for Painter.

http://www.artrage.com/artrage-studiopro.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingdimensions View Post
    So I have a question: I have enough money for the academic version of corel painter,but not enough for the academic version of photoshop. I know that for digital art, most concept artists rely primarily on photoshop. I was wondering if getting Corel Painter would be worth it for me or if its better if i just save my money and get photoshop?, I was thinking of just getting photoshop elements 10 instead but I really don't know if that program would be suitable. thanx for any advice.
    painter: complicated but really artist friendly UI; crashes; bloated engine; used to be better in earlier versions; retardedly developing; paint program of my choice. you can't upgrade or use academic ed. commercially (if anyone cares about the latter);
    photoshop: super stable; complicated, highly customizable UI; optional colour wheel/colour mixer extensions; more expensive; rapidly developing for a few versions already; academic ver. can be used for professional work;

kind of disagree on art-rage: it's a nice extension for painter if you know how to paint already, and a little inexpensive all-in-one package; there's not much customization offered, however, and it still kinda lags on large sized documents; their colour blending and line quality are one of the best on market atm, though.

if you're on a budget and is just starting, spend that $$$ on real media: papers, charcoal pencils, watercolours, gouache, etc.
    it will be a wiser investment in the long run.
    CG packages don't teach you to paint, and your ability will be handicapped by your tablet compared to real media.
    once you feel confident enough with that, you can transfer your skills to pretty much any other program, they're all essentially pushing pixels around.
    you bring the skill, software brings a blank canvas and some nifty brushes.
    Last edited by ikken; April 13th, 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    Definitely try the trials for both, but if you're new to digital painting, I'd recommend starting with Photoshop. When I started, my computer couldn't run Photoshop, so I tried to use Painter, and it was a frustrating experience. My first time with Photoshop was a revelation, because the brushes actually did what I told them to instead of fritzing around in a laggy interpretation of a Mongolian camel brush or whatever. I remember what a joy it was when I realized I could finally start making progress instead of fighting my tools...

tl;dr: Painter is gimmick software, imo. Photoshop is industry standard for a reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    tl;dr: Painter is gimmick software, imo.
    obey
    A question about digital programs.
    ironically painted with mongolian camel hair brush on a 10,000 px canvas

(not that I was really happy with painter's recent development)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did you paint that? That's pretty rad.

But I didn't say that it was impossible to get results out of Painter. Justin Sweet, Ryan Church, and Puddnhead all use it, too. But I still stand by my critique: its brushes feel gimmicky to me; very 'artsy,' but hard to control. I wouldn't recommend it as the best software to learn the ropes of digital painting on.

Just my take, and it has been a few versions since I played with it. Like OmenSpirits said, it's got a free trial, so OP can decide for himself.

Thanks
    ^ nope, it's not mine, I'm nowhere close this guys level. check his site out, it's typed on the picture.
    painter has its own complications, but for example, brush settings in classic painter versions (painter 6-7, painter IX to some extent) actually make a lot of sense when you dig deeper.
    current versions are too over-complicated and laggy and slow and nonsense-feature bloated, but some of former glory is still there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    If you go with Photoshop, you may find the very inexpensive program Artrage to be a reasonable substitute for Painter.

http://www.artrage.com/artrage-studiopro.html
    I second the Artrage suggestion. Artrage Studio Pro is my main
    rendering program of choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    In all honestly, worry about getting better with your drawing first before worrying about the programs.

If you're on a PC there are many free or inexpensive programs like Easy Paint Tool Sai or Open Canvas 1.1 but none of that will help you if you don't focus on getting better first.

Both programs you're asking about have trials and you can see what suits you but I think at your stage neither at this point till you get better.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    You should be able to afford Serif PhotoPlus that is similar to Photoshop without some of the bells and whistles. Get the free version, register it and wait for them to drop the price just for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    ironically painted with mongolian camel hair brush on a 10,000 px canvas
    Mongolian? Maybe Round camelhair?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Maybe it refers to country of origin?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    Except "camel hair" brushes are actually made from squirrel.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    i actually decided to buy sketchbook pro, because its user friendly and i need to work on my foundations and stuff( seems like a nice transition from traditional drawing for me also), thanx for the valuable advice, ill probably use gimp whenever i start really digital painting until i can afford photoshop.
    Last edited by Calebfairchild; April 13th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    Ikken is talking about Corel Painter. I'm asking which brush he meant. I know there's a round Camel hair brush. He might have just used the wrong word considering English is not his native language.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    yep, it's painter's round camelhair brush. I was referring to the post above —

Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    My first time with Photoshop was a revelation, because the brushes actually did what I told them to instead of fritzing around in a laggy interpretation of a Mongolian camel brush or whatever.
    fritzing around can produce beautiful results in the right hands

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    yep, it's painter's round camelhair brush. I was referring to the post above —

fritzing around can produce beautiful results in the right hands
    Sorry missed it. But yeah I don't find it gimmicky, I enjoy 6 and I understand people's frustrations with the later versions when it went more into autopainting. But still there are tools just hard to give up. The inking is still better than Photoshop. I love the blending too even though Sai has blending modes that work pretty well.