Dragon anatomy/perspective :/

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragon anatomy/perspective :/

Hello hello, I have been working on still life drawings as many advised since I don't have a scanner I cannot really upload any of those pieces for now, but I have still been meddling with photoshop on the side to see if I can apply anatomy I'm observing.. I did a sketch of a dragon, but there's perspective/anatomy issues that I see are questionable in my own eyes, but I cannot seem to visualize the right perspective/anatomy.. So, I was wondering if I could get some help ! The perspective I want is the dragon body facing straight, while his feet are slightly angled apart, and his face turned looking back.. (Not sure if you will understand)
    Thank you

Basically, I drew a dragon with his wings covering a little child (the stick figure.. stick figure will be further developed :p) from what will be rain.
    Name:  dragonhelp.png
Views: 1623
Size:  239.5 KB

I circled questionable portions here.. There are probably more issues you guys can spot tho :

Name:  dragonhelp2.png
Views: 1340
Size:  298.4 KB

A VERY quick coloring to see if I could get major values in- could use some help here as well, but mostly concerned with the perspective/anatomy as of now
    Name:  values.png
Views: 1029
Size:  406.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The circled areas may be giving you the most trouble, but they are not really problematic ones (apart from the wing).

The real problems you still have to solve in this image are composition and perspective.

You haven't thought the composition through, at all. You didn't plan where the dragon will be on the page, and so left the bottom half of it empty but managed to crowd the dragon into a corner. That explains the awkward bend of the tail and the left wing - the issues are not with the anatomy, they are with the way you are trying to shoehorn the dragon into the page. Don't be afraid of the edges this much; if only a part of the wing or tail is visible, it's still OK.

But you have to think of the picture as a window into a scene, not a page to draw lines on.

As for perspective, building the dragon out of boxes and cylinders would help you visualize the overall form better. That should help with the tail; if you think of the dragon as a form in space, rather than lines on paper, you'll avoid impossible shapes like that.

That said, sketch with pencil on paper, not on computer. No need to make your task harder than it is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest you could circle the whole dragon when it comes to anatomical issues (and some really random ones, like why on earth does the dragon have two wings on one side of its back?). Also the tail looks suspiciously like you're just covering the feet with it so you don't have to draw them.
    You should really put more time into studying how muscles work both with animals and humans and how to present their forms.
    Name:  dog-muscles-lg.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  horse-muscles-2.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  73.6 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arenhaus-
    You're right, I didn't think of the composition I was just trying to get the overall form correct , but I will think that through. I'll actually draw the dragon from shapes that seems like a good exercise
    As for the sketch on paper, I did sketch it on paper first, and tried to copy it digitally as close as possible to get some advise since I don't have a scanner right now :d

tinybird-
    what do you mean by two wing on the side of the back? If the head of the dragon is turned, I thought that then the chest would turn along with it a portion and you'd be able to see both wings?
    Thanks for the pictures on the animals, I've been trying to draw horses alot to get practice ^^
    Do you actually know of any books that could help me with anatomy??
    Oh, also... I actually drew them in first and drew the tail in second, but I do get where you're coming from.

Thanks alot for the advise !
    I'm going to rework on shapes and see if I can post an update

Last edited by kwangho; April 12th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kwangho View Post
    what do you mean by two wing on the side of the back? If the head of the dragon is turned, I thought that then the chest would turn along with it a portion and you'd be able to see both wings?
    Yes, but you have drawn them both connected to one side of the back, if the spikes are the spine, then the dragon has two wing on its left side, as opposed to one on both sides. It doesn't matter how the chest is turned.
    Name:  wings.JPG
Views: 1314
Size:  164.8 KB

As for books, this one is a pretty nice starter book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Animal.../dp/0486274268

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I might recommend a couple of books to you:

http://www.amazon.com/DragonArt-Jess.../dp/1581806574
    I like this book quite a bit because it breaks down to the shape and forms of the dragon and keeps the information simple and straight forward.

http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Animals-P.../dp/0399508023
    Jack hamm is an illustrator I admire, his advice on creating animals forms is something I have seen other artists use and recommend themselves.

I hope those books are of help.

On that great road, always and forever journeying forward to that shining city on the hill.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbott For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL oh wow that makes so much sense..... Made me laugh when I saw the mistake haha thanks I will get that book asap.. seems very interesting and creature drawing is what I am really into
    Thanks Rabbot, I will most likely purchase the text by Jack Hamm, but not the other- I imagine if I learn the general anatomy of several animals, a dragon would be an easier concept to understand?

I was just thinking.... and looking at tinybird's drawing and came to realize that it would be physically impossible for a dragon to cover the child with his wings if he was to ride on the dragon's back....

Last edited by kwangho; April 12th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bird, that's one of the greatest paintovers I've ever seen. XD

Members who have read this thread: 1