Sketching/Drawing help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketching/Drawing help

Hi, I have been drawing for a while off and on but never really took it seriously. I just now started to take it seriously and am starting from scratch. I am starting off with stick figure poses and working my way up. Is that the right way to go? I have somewhat of an understanding for anatomy as I am a novice sculptor. I just want to be able to better my drawing skill. Is freehand sketching a good start or should I work on life sketching? I spend around an hour a day just trying to draw action poses but I keep getting discouraged because of the proportion isn't right or I am running out of poses to think of. Can someone please guide me in the right direction?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If your not sure how to build up I'd get Glen Vilppu's drawing manual. I had the same general issue with construction but even after only briefly going through his book it helps. Gesture is pretty important then building up from it. Can't wait to have time to really study it.

As for proportion that's general drawing and observational skill. Gotta train yourself with just practice practice practice.

As for poses

http://quickposes.com/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what you mean by "freehand" versus "life", but drawing things from life never hurts. The sooner you start and the more you do, the better. You'll not only train your observational and general drawing skills, you'll be getting information on proportions and anatomy straight from the source.

You can supplement drawing from life with drawing from imagination, of course (and probably should,) but a steady dose of drawing from life helps prevent you from drifting into bad habits when drawing from imagination.

It's a reality check.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "freehand" versus "life", but drawing things from life never hurts.
    I beg to disagree: it can hurt like hell. It is essential practice, though...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    But it's a GOOD pain.

Do those exercises! Make those marks! Push through those gestures! Grind through those pencils! Feel the burn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    If your not sure how to build up I'd get Glen Vilppu's drawing manual. I had the same general issue with construction but even after only briefly going through his book it helps. Gesture is pretty important then building up from it. Can't wait to have time to really study it.

As for proportion that's general drawing and observational skill. Gotta train yourself with just practice practice practice.

As for poses

http://quickposes.com/
    I will check that book out and I feel like I have a mental block, because I can't seem to get past the stick figure part.
    Here are some of the books that I already have (some of them are from when I was younger and wanted to draw cartoony/animeish)

Anatomy for the Artist
    The Figure
    Anatomy for Fantasy Artists
    DragonArt Fantasy Characters

Does Glen Vilppu's book teach from the beginning, like a very new artist that can barely draw?

I try to practice drawing an hour a day or when I have time with work and my daughter and all. I am so used to drawing without having any time of structure to build up from that it is hard to start from scratch, I just keep getting these mental blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    You can supplement drawing from life with drawing from imagination, of course (and probably should,) but a steady dose of drawing from life helps prevent you from drifting into bad habits when drawing from imagination.

It's a reality check.
    I really think that is what happened, I never really tried to draw from real life and just stuck to drawing from imagination that I seem to have picked up a LOT of bad habits. I need to flush my brain and just start from scratch if I can

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yerp, Vilppu's book starts from the beginning. The starting exercises are actually deceptive in how simple they seem. Basic observation and gesture, getting the action of the pose, seeing and being able to draw something in 3D while being able to shift and mold it accurately. Seem easy? But if you can master that your already a decent way there. Though as the man himself says there are no rules, just tools.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue4.01/4.0....01vilppu.php3

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.9/3.9pages/3.9vilppu.html

A very basic idea, but I'd just get the book. It's worth it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Yerp, Vilppu's book starts from the beginning. The starting exercises are actually deceptive in how simple they seem. Basic observation and gesture, getting the action of the pose, seeing and being able to draw something in 3D while being able to shift and mold it accurately. Seem easy? But if you can master that your already a decent way there. Though as the man himself says there are no rules, just tools.
    I can tell you, all those stuff in that book are hard as fuck.

Members who have read this thread: 1