Sketchbook: Chris Anderson's Sketches A Day
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chris Anderson's Sketches A Day

This is my first time really checking out the daily sketch book section. There's a lot of inspiring work in here.

I decided to kick my own ass to better my art skills by forcing myself to do at least one quick sketch a day. I feel I've been slackin in some areas of art, so this way, even if I happen to not accomplish anything too important in a day, I at least do one sketch of something, and learn something.

I'd greatly appreicate all crits and comments that anyone can give me. Rip me apart, I need to learn as much as I can.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this yesterday, it took me about 30 minutes. It took 15 to get down the composition and figure, and another 15 playing around with paint techniques to see what works. Kinda dorky, I know.

Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; May 27th, 2004 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this one today. It took about an hour. I learned a lot more about how to approach faces quickly, I created his face in about 25 or 30 minutes. The reason I'm thinking about time is because I'm trying to get more acurate with my approach rather than spending weeks trying to figure out something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got tired of this one and quit. But I thought the paint marks where interesting. Created a little movement. I got lost at the color stage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Another sketchbook thread that I'll be checking regularly. Glad you decided to join the fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris,

I'm probably the last guy to rip apart speed paintings since I so rarely do any myself. As for the piece you did today. The rim lighting on his body would work better if the background were a few values darker than you have it now. What did you do to get that background texture on the first painting? Is that painter or PS?

May I should open up my own sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RRRaaaahhh hah hah ahah ahah hah hawwwww!:firedevil -Pain!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris, glad you decided to start a sketchbook. because you requested it.. i ll do my best to give you some areas to work on in your art. in the first painting, i see a couple of anatomical problems. ..one being the twist of the neck.. .its not possible to turn your head around that far, and also, his right arm seems out of place because of the angle of the body. ..i think it should hide behind the figure more. on the second piece, i dont get a strong sense of mass and form. .. it think the figure should be rendered out more and the light and dark areas established better. i know these are quick sketches, but breaking down your lights and darks to establish form is one of the first steps in painting. im not sure about the third one, but because you gave up on it, i ll leave it be.. . and i think its a little too early in the process to crit. anyway, i really dig your technique and style of painting, i just thought i would give my 2 cents.. ..even though your work owns mine.

i hope you keep this going.. . .too many people start sketchbooks and let them die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude you got me interested. I've visited your website. I know you got the stuff. I think your trying to work on your weaknesses (if i'm correct). I'm guessing that digital art would be one of them? dont get mad if i'm wrong lol. keep posting. metalwind is right. too many people start a thread and let it die...<sigh> sucks

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris

WOW! I love these... that first one is soooo.......you know.... like something I could never do. please keep these going for our sake

Peace
    dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Groover - Yeah man thanks. I'm gonna try to keep this going. THis is pretty fun.

Eric - thanks, I agree about darkening the background a tad to make the rim lighting better. I was struggling with the armor in that one. I used Photoshop.

Josh - Haha.

Metal winds, your right, I exaggerated the anatomy a bit too much on that first one. I have to try and tone that down, I have a habit of doing that sometimes. Your correct about that second one. I struggled with that, I was tempted to trash it half way, but tried to salvage it. I kind of lost focused in some areas. Thanks for the crit.

Obid - Yeah, I'm trying to get better at the first stages of painting. When I sit down for a week on a painting, I feel it's easier to make it all work. But when it comes to getting things down precisely and quickly, sometimes I can do it, but sometimes it's difficult to focus. I'm trying to coreect my focus.

Dan the Man - Thanks for the compliments! And thanks for checking out my stuff. I saw you thread and I was like, well daaaang, he's already taken over. Great and insipiring work man. I'm forcing myself to keep this thread as long as possible to push myself. I figure I gotta learn something more about 'focus' for quick paintings doing this.

This is good to get these crits. With each sketch and crit, I'm gonna try ot let the info soak in my mind and use it in each new sketch. Usually when I'm focued.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't have the right focus today, I apologise. Here's a quick line sketch. I concentrated mostly on the drawing, and then simple color method.

Here's something I did the other day for fun. I saw a new megaman anniversary game coming out, so I had to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update...now keep em coming. Draw, draw...and when you are done with that...how about doing some drawing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I love that girl in that last update, Chris. Looking forward to watching your thread develop..!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you create the coolest marks and strokes. more reason for me to learn how to digi paint. I like the green girl. and I've always liked mega man's proportions (forearms and calves, anyone?). neat-o.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some really cool stuff... the girl in green/orange is my favorite-although i have a suggestion, if you don't mind- the backlit effect on her leg is really cool, but is that where you want the focus of the drawing? i would think it would be more on her face or upper torso, or if you wanted to keep it on her leg, then continue it up to guide the eye along the form and direct your audience. just my two cents

I really like how your style doesn't feel forced at all, just a flow of your personality....keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is lookin very cool. Your last dump especially, the green girl is definately your strongest post so far. I like it becasue the pose is dynamic and the colors are simple, but I agree with cotron in the sense that I think a bit of that highglight on her upper half would really make her kick. But the drawing itself rocks, the lines are nice and loose.
    And your Megaman brought back a whole flood of fond memories of the hours shared between me and my old SNES...*tear*

Keep em' comin!

"You cannot, in today's world, judge a book by its contents" -Jon Stewart
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive, i like the simple coloring done with the girl line drawing. excellent!

power of the tablet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, hey I really appreciate you guys checking out my sketches. It adds to my motivation to keep em going.

Van - Haha, still drawing.

Matt - Thanks man.

elboy - Thanks a lot. I'm trying not to over work and just let the paint marks happen. I'm glad you like the green chick. I wasn't sure what anyone would think of her.

Cotron - Hey thank dude. I see what your saying about the backlit effect. I agree, it probably would have worked better with the upper torso being backlit to add more focus in that area, etc. I think I was too afriad of messing up the face sketch. I'm glad you like the paint style, I'm trying to loosen up more.

Keepiru - Thanks. Haha, hey man, did you hear about the new Megaman Aniversary game coming out this summer? It's got all the megaman games all on one disk, can't wait ti buy it.

Retinal - Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, it's gonna be difficult beating out the green chick. It's actually 3 hours into Sunday so I'm a little late with this one. Took about 45 minutes. It's 3 in the morning now, I gotta go to bed. I need a different pose next time.

Here's one I did a 2 months ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn these are hot! the colors are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    an all sexinified wicked witch quite entertaining.

"c'mon i know you've got it, toss the box"

sketchbook

http://altpick.com/members.php?id=17236

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah. I missed Sunday. Here's mondays. Today I'll try something different, different style and technique from the last few.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scribbled monster. I'll try to do better as I go. I need to spend more time and accuracy on future sketches. More so in the more rended stages rather than so loose like these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris,
    i really love your quick style, the megaman pic is awsome. i was wondering if you pick a color scheme and have an idea of what the picture is going to look like before you start? or do you just start sketching something.
    -oh, that apple looks delicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dingo - When doing quick sketches, sometimes I have an idea and color scheme of what type of picture I'm doing. But most of the time, I have no clue, and what ever happens as I draw or paint, happens. Which is my BIG problem with random quick sketches. I usually don't have a clear clue what I'm creating. I'm so used to thoroughly thinking about creating a time consuming piece that I'm still not very used to quick stuff. I try to do my best with quick sketches without any reference, very vague idea in mind, and usually within an hour. If I gave myself at least 5 hours, I'd have something more ot my liking. But So far, one hour quick sketches is my greatest weakness, I hope I get better.

I'm going to start working on a three week illustration this month. I want to see if I got any better with long term illustrations compared to one hour quick sketches.

Actually, it makes me wonder...is speed and accuracy ultimately more important? Masters like Rockwell and Leonardo, Bougouerou, I'm sure they took time with their great illustrations and paintings. Some took weeks. Others took months depending on how massive and/or complex the peice. I know in the concept art world, speed is essential. But for big and complexed, beautifully finished peice of work...is it? Perhaps it all depends on the job and the purpose of the art.

Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; June 1st, 2004 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just so you know- you're awesome- im not one to judge you but i will say one thing you need thing- be less good so i can judge you- hahah kiddin- sir you pretty much mastered youre own style and should be critiqing us highschool kids developing there own- thats my crappy advice for today- until later- WATCH OUT FOR SONIC DEATH MONKEYS

-theubermind:evilbat:

my sketchbook

if a mime was crushed by tree in the woods, would anyone care?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I checked out your site and its fucking dopeness..your environment design is the shiznetttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!

btw:Ill river dance for you for free )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freakin awesome stuff. Listen, dude. It doesnt matter how long it takes as long as you are happy with it. So, stop analyzing your skills and draw!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1