Sketchbook: Testing, one, two, three?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Testing, one, two, three?

Ok, starting a sketchbook, are any of these good? I rushed them just last night.

Name:  apple.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  Ball.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  71.0 KB

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Did you use any references on either of them? It looks like sphere is missing some of the light bouncing off from whatever it's laying on. Here's a good examble of what I'm talking about - Reference: Reflected Light
    http://kenney-mencher.blogspot.com/2...sphere-in.html
    But I LOVE the texture you have on it. Also, the casted shadow form the apple looks a little blotchy. I'm not sure if you were using the same brush as you were for the sphere, but you should block in the color first a lay down that nice-lookin' texture afterwards so you don't get all those holes.

Keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the apple wasn't all that great, going to have to fix that one.
    But no, I didn't have a reference, well, not on the ball. The apple is just one I had that I was going to eat later, unfortunately I never got to eating it.
    I did use the same brush, well digital brush, it was just the colors that I need to work on, I used a blender brush most of the time.

Soon I'll be up with a brick!

"If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't rush when you're doing your studies, it's not a race. Look up line, values, and form.

And go here for more tips:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Last edited by Kya Hill; April 12th, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding website

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'll check it out sooner or later.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, hey, here are a few more I did yesterday.

Name:  models.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  234.5 KB

Name:  sketch hand.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  160.6 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, just working on some icons.

Name:  xiii th 3.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  13.9 KB

Name:  xiii th 2.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  11.8 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i`d suggest doing some photo studies. take any image you like, scale it odwn to about 800px max. double your canvas so youve got the photo on one side and copy it over to the other side. use only the round brush. dont color pick! take lets say one hour and try to get as close as you can.
    do alot of them. it really helps! keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daflom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to keep a specific size to may images, not too big and not too small, makes it simple, but the last post was just to show off some icons I did, didn't use anymore than the pen program and paint bucket to make it and then shrunk the canvas to a small enough size to count as an icon.

Here are a few more.

Name:  Yuki Sukano.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  Geordi.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  13.1 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Police Rohland.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  189.6 KB
    Name:  Greystones 2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  375.8 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  13thprotector Gladiator.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  450.3 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, no one gonna tell me if I'm getting better

Name:  Alum (4).JPG
Views: 125
Size:  353.1 KBName:  Bathy (4).jpg
Views: 124
Size:  177.1 KBName:  Aarron.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  115.5 KBName:  Issac.JPG
Size:  109.9 KBName:  Namil and Tavion.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  344.4 KBName:  XIII Protector Forever! (2).JPG
Size:  193.8 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey it's me.
    People are talking but you don't seem to listen.
    You really need to make some time step outside of your comfort zone and do some realism things, like the apple.
    Do it with pencil on paper. Maybe in a little sketchbook. Draw whatever thing you think is pretty or interesting, just don't draw anything that's flat like a picture, especially not someone else's drawing, and CERTAINLY don't try to use any kind of 'style'.

The apple had a pretty shape, but I think your mind was running ahead of your eyes when you made it look so much like what you think an apple had to be like. For example, notice how colours often aren't what you expect them to be, especially in the shadow areas. You drew your hand nice and loosely, but aren't you curious why your fingers look more stubby and shorter than they really are? That's because of foreshortening, which you can read a lot about if you look for it.
    If you're filling up your brain with useful info like that, you'll start noticing better what makes a fine picture and what makes it look odd. Study and sketch a lot from life and you'll be able to create your own things from imagination better, because you better understand how to make things look right.

I'm not into this manga-ish style, and each is entitled to their own preferences, but right now I'm thinking it hampers your progress. You're in essention juggling with noses and eyes and mouths that don't come from your understanding of the physical world, but from imitating how and where other people draw the line for a mouth, a nose... and it got stuck in your muscle-memory and it's going to take a lot to move away from this method.
    So yeah I'm looking at more or less the same art as when I gave that talk about keeping a brick or roof-tile on your desk. It's still looking like someone else's.

I kind of like daflom's idea. Never mind the filesize, just don't make it too big or you'll spend too much time on each.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do that, but I've got none digital, I keep saying that :/
    Outside of digital I do all sorts of stuff, I just haven't pulled it together digitally. Sorry.

I'm mostly trying to grow better and better in what I'm good at and then expanding out. Right now, I'm just trying to expand a world I'm imagining, a place away from things at the moment. I'm currently drawing a comic on it and writing a novel to the side. I just draw the characters repeatedly in order to know who they are, to open who they are at the moment.
    I don't try imitating others, this is just how I've always done it and have been encouraged to, plus I'm just looking at poses, nothing else. I'll dabble fan art and stuff like that from time to time, but that's it

I'll get other stuff in later then. Sorry I'm trashing up this site, I guess I'm still just a kid at heart. Personally I'm not going to be a professional artist, so I'll say I hobby this stuff around.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trust me, when I came here a week ago, I did cartoony/anime thingy, and they told me to do realistic drawings with real people...in photos, or in real life. So I did. Even if it's affecting a bit my style in a way I don't want, I have to admit thet now my drawings are coming out pretty cool, and more convincing. Now I see a person in cartoon style, and not a puppe tin childish style. And that's what I wanted.

I'm pretty sure that's what you want, so go here http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/ and start learning.

And the "a kid at heart" is not an excuse. I'm a kid at heart too, but I'm an adult when I have to, and this place needs you to be an adult and know when you have to go out of your comfort zone and do something that you may not like that much.

Sketchbook

I don't have time to read "How beautiful are your drawings!" garbage.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zilkenian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a point, yeah... I guess. I've tried realistic, lots of it, it never really turns out as well as I'd hope. Heck, I even tried tracing a photo I took, again it didn't go as planned. What did I do wrong?
    I put in wrinkles and marks people have on their faces, it turns out looking older than what they are and the lips turn out looking like crap.
    How do you transition?

Also, I can't see your link, I mean, I clicked on it, but it's blocked for me on this school computer :/

I understand, but I don't really take my drawings as seriously. It's not what I'm gonna do, and if I do do it then I'll be a starvin' pilgrim in a few months after starting it. I know reality compared to fantasy, but how do I make a fantasy my own? How do I place it into a world of reality with a window into my mind? Personally I thought it'd just come to me... sorta acting on instinct when I draw, heck I never even held a manga or watched anime up until years after I started drawing... and my early pics were as similar as what I do now, style wise that is, I've gotten better from before.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may think your drawings are not your future, and you just have to draw and everyone is happy. But you came here. You came here because you wanted to improve or at least, to have someone to say how beautiful are your drawings.

Well, this is nothing like DeviantArt. Here you have to draw like a professional or more to get a "how beautiful is your drawing", and it starts with drawing real people.

And for that, you have to draw real people, real anatomy.

What they told me is "draw quickly". When you go home, if you have a computer there, go to that page (if you are too young, don't put the "Nude models" part) and draw what you see, not what you mind wants to see.
    Draw quick, don't think about if the girl is small or the guy fat, just draw, quick lines, the less the better.

Something like this:

Name:  study4.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  240.9 KB

Yes, it's mine. The first time I got the "quick, not so many lines". It's not about doing a beautiful work, but a real work, one that you watch at it and say "This looks like a person, and not like a puppet".
    You're in training. When you do it for some time, and draw again in your style, you'll see what we mean.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a person, their feelings personified, and my characters reflect who I am and who the people they are withhold. My eyes feel the people, and many things are quite scary to me. I don't know why, maybe I'm anxious or something.

I came here because my teacher recommended it when she found it and I thought this place was kinda cool. :3
    And I was right, it is kinda cool. XD
    Forgive me if I'm a bit silly about all this, it's kinda new to me still and I enjoy it.

My art looks all puppety? What do you mean?

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because here you don't have to draw how you feel a person or how you see a person, but how a person is.
    Your teacher did good in sending you here, and here you have to start drawing real things and stop, for a moment, drawing manga/anime.

We already told you what you should do because we see you're doing the same mistake again and again. If you want to follow our advise, go, if not, we gave you the chance.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've just been sketching as of lately, not much of drawing at all with college stuff going about.

Anything in that at all good? Most of it just random junk I found in my room...

I've tried drawing real things, again it doesn't turn out well. Overzealous noses, large ears, fat lips, chubby necks...
    I know, I make a lot of mistakes, but I'm kinda walking up a tall hill here.

Apathy is Death

Members who have read this thread: 1