Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testing, one, two, three?

Thanks

Testing, one, two, three?

Ok, starting a sketchbook, are any of these good? I rushed them just last night.

Attachment 1458918

Attachment 1458919
    "If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

"Mournhold city of Light, city of Magic!"

Apathy is Death
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello!

Did you use any references on either of them? It looks like sphere is missing some of the light bouncing off from whatever it's laying on. Here's a good examble of what I'm talking about - Reference: Reflected Light
    http://kenney-mencher.blogspot.com/2...sphere-in.html
    But I LOVE the texture you have on it. Also, the casted shadow form the apple looks a little blotchy. I'm not sure if you were using the same brush as you were for the sphere, but you should block in the color first a lay down that nice-lookin' texture afterwards so you don't get all those holes.

Keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Yeah, the apple wasn't all that great, going to have to fix that one.
    But no, I didn't have a reference, well, not on the ball. The apple is just one I had that I was going to eat later, unfortunately I never got to eating it.
    I did use the same brush, well digital brush, it was just the colors that I need to work on, I used a blender brush most of the time.

Soon I'll be up with a brick!
    "If you see a person jumping down the street, you can tell his preferences by shooting at the guy. If he starts whining, he plays Counter-Strike. If he charges you wielding an axe, you just interrupted a Morrowind player buffing his Acrobatics."

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Don't rush when you're doing your studies, it's not a race. Look up line, values, and form.

And go here for more tips:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    Last edited by Kya Hill; April 12th, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adding website

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kya Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll check it out sooner or later.

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Oh, hey, here are a few more I did yesterday.

Attachment 1459637

Attachment 1459634

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Now, just working on some icons.

Attachment 1468398

Attachment 1468395

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    i`d suggest doing some photo studies. take any image you like, scale it odwn to about 800px max. double your canvas so youve got the photo on one side and copy it over to the other side. use only the round brush. dont color pick! take lets say one hour and try to get as close as you can.
    do alot of them. it really helps! keep it up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to daflom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I try to keep a specific size to may images, not too big and not too small, makes it simple, but the last post was just to show off some icons I did, didn't use anymore than the pen program and paint bucket to make it and then shrunk the canvas to a small enough size to count as an icon.

Here are a few more.

Attachment 1468548

Attachment 1468547

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Name:  Police Rohland.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  189.6 KB
    Name:  Greystones 2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  375.8 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Name:  13thprotector Gladiator.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  450.3 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Seriously, no one gonna tell me if I'm getting better

Name:  Alum (4).JPG
Views: 129
Size:  353.1 KBName:  Bathy (4).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  177.1 KBName:  Aarron.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  115.5 KBName:  Issac.JPG
Size:  109.9 KBName:  Namil and Tavion.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  344.4 KBName:  XIII Protector Forever! (2).JPG
Size:  193.8 KB

Apathy is Death

Thanks
    Hey it's me.
    People are talking but you don't seem to listen.
    You really need to make some time step outside of your comfort zone and do some realism things, like the apple.
    Do it with pencil on paper. Maybe in a little sketchbook. Draw whatever thing you think is pretty or interesting, just don't draw anything that's flat like a picture, especially not someone else's drawing, and CERTAINLY don't try to use any kind of 'style'.

The apple had a pretty shape, but I think your mind was running ahead of your eyes when you made it look so much like what you think an apple had to be like. For example, notice how colours often aren't what you expect them to be, especially in the shadow areas. You drew your hand nice and loosely, but aren't you curious why your fingers look more stubby and shorter than they really are? That's because of foreshortening, which you can read a lot about if you look for it.
    If you're filling up your brain with useful info like that, you'll start noticing better what makes a fine picture and what makes it look odd. Study and sketch a lot from life and you'll be able to create your own things from imagination better, because you better understand how to make things look right.

I'm not into this manga-ish style, and each is entitled to their own preferences, but right now I'm thinking it hampers your progress. You're in essention juggling with noses and eyes and mouths that don't come from your understanding of the physical world, but from imitating how and where other people draw the line for a mouth, a nose... and it got stuck in your muscle-memory and it's going to take a lot to move away from this method.
    So yeah I'm looking at more or less the same art as when I gave that talk about keeping a brick or roof-tile on your desk. It's still looking like someone else's.

I kind of like daflom's idea. Never mind the filesize, just don't make it too big or you'll spend too much time on each.
    Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast