Spartan Camp #220 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different Angle Study"

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #220 - 50 gestures + Optional "Different Angle Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 663 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 22th of April.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Different Angle Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

A familiar topic for some of you who have participated before.
    You take a reference image of a human figure. You then do a study of this figure as seen from a completely different angle. You can change the viewpoint any way you wish from a simple rotated view to an elaborate foreshortened angle. For the sake of critique, you might want to post the reference image along with the study (or provide a link).

The purpose? Analysing the figure so that you can 'make it your own' and reproduce it in a different form. It's a mixture between a referenced and imagination/deduction.

You'll need reference for this one! Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #219

AdrianNagorski
    ashess
    R3u5
    Little-Maiden
    untier
    eclip-se
    -Marin-
    Azimuth
    MartinC
    SmallPoly
    shiNIN

Last edited by Anthis; April 13th, 2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Proper Description
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch.

If I tell you I'm very fine and extra dedicated now and I promise nice portraits for this round (and figures too, I really should get take this seriously), will you feel a tiny bit better?

Just a little work on an old fail beginning ~ It looks sooo much better now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN Theres something I can't pinpoint about that portrait. It just feels off in a way I can't really put a finger on. The eyes are oddly adjusted. The shapes are aligned but the pupils are offset. Nonetheless between the old WIP and this one theres a noticeable improvement.

-------
    Some fashion gestures. Experimenting mainly with a large textured brush and hard opacity brush.

Trying to find some sort of harmony between hard/soft/lost edges. No easy task but quite fun.

Attached Images Attached Images    

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lm, the are looking awesome! nice and loose but clean. maybe a little less blurry fields.
    @shinin- like I said, I need to se the original.

my model drawings

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden: Looks cool.

ashess: I tried to search a small one with kind of right colors (I never know what the original paintings are like, I just take guesses, a painter surely didn't obscure important things or made it ugly), it's not the whole portrait but nothing important got cut.

This one was hard. I usually don't draw this kind of face in this kind of lighting, I didn't completely understand it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, i see now! Well, jefferson's forehead should recede more. Also, i think you gave him too much hair on top. The jaw is spot on though. Very telling!
    In the last one, your version is a little bit too wide, and overall too shiney. Im just nitpicking though; I like it!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: Thanks but I'm quite good at noticing differences myself (I mean, the blatant ones, too wide, too much hair... I don't think my second one is too shiny, I wanted it to have more contrast). Much later than I should because I just copy instead of compare or looking at the whole... I always realize my mistake but never could fix it this far
    And you can't imagine how horrible the beginning is used to be. Not just this "small" things, oh no, huge proportions flaws (I mean it. gigantic). No wonder, I really fight with my early sketches, they are simply pathetic, I can't seem to grasp anything.. I think it's what keep me from drawing more. I can't start things well

Erm, being busy with gardening, gaming came into the way so I have only such a sketchy thing using a caricature as ref I don't even want to show yet. I don't know if I will "finish" it. It's not my intention to produce nice looking stuff, I want to learn. Faces always interested me but they are so hard. What makes a face looks like a certain person's? How faces change as the person age? What happens with features when the expression change? Why a nice, soft pair of lips is evidently a man's if I see pretty similar ones on women? I have such questions and I can't answer them. But I'm more curious than before. But not enough to start to draw like crazy, it seems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @shin- if you have trouble noticing the issues in time, why dont you do a mirror after 3 minutes of drawing? draw on a few min, then mirror again...

bah. never mind me :p I do the sucksorz
    Name:  loom.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  47.0 KB

>>mah tumbr

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my 50, all from imagination. No bonus drawing.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys!
    I have been learning something about heads, but I totally forgot on poses. (not forgot but I have been really avoiding it, don't know why, maybe because it's hard to draw them.)
    So here is some really bad poses and my try to draw fashion gestures.(with ref, of course)

Little-Maiden: As I can see, we have the same website for fashion gestures, but yours are much better.

shiNIN: I suggest to draw and observe skull. Draw it in different angles and try to understand, because head is only skull, fat, muscles and features like eyes...(don't forget on planes and construction too.)
    You will find answer on your questions in Loomis book. It's worth to read.
    Nice looking stuff will always come with understanding and practice.

Syle: bigger views will be probably better.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blu01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to make sure;

Deadline is the 22th of April, meaning we still have a week!

Comments and gestures on their way.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

and I thought I was late already!
    well, then I will have a go. but not today. just a lil imagination be4 bed; drawing in zoo tomorrow, so should have more then!

Name:  imagine1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  28.5 KB
    ps- what im doing is trying to make my stuff a lil cleaner; but im not sure if im cheating. I start in white, then add the black, then fill the white lines.

I think I should leave the white lines huh, they werent all that messy; and they should be the ones I focus on getting clean. I think.

pps:i know ive been a lazy basterd and brought little to the table, work nor critwise. ill make up for the latter soon!

Last edited by ashess; April 15th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blu01 Yeah, thesartorialist is a good resource. Though anyone using ctrl+paint should know of it. I think mine are "better" only cause it looks prettier with colours not because they're actually "better"

-----

some more gestures. I've actually got to get started on the angle study.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: Why don't I mirror the image (besides I see flaws without it too)? Because I FORGOT to do it I know very well it's useful to do but knowing and doing is different things. My silly mind. Maybe I should write it down on my monitor. With capital red letters. Not like it would help... Whatever, I continue to fight! Thanks for all your attention and critics this far, I appreciate it!
    I like your last two figures. The man has too slim legs and the woman is able to turn her head unlike normal humans but your black lines looks nice.

blue01: Yeah, I need to draw skulls more often. For some reason, face muscles don't seem to help me but skulls are different (and awesome anyway).
    I know I put little effort into drawing but it's still waaaaay more than the effort I got a diplom. Working as a programmer was a joyful piece of cake too compared to just a little drawing daily. Why can't I do it easily as many kids I wonder.
    I gave up on Loomis if it's about head drawing but it's no big deal, I will be okay, I just need practice. I'm best with heads. I.e. I can't draw anything else at all.

I did little this far, I will be less busy this week and hopefully much more active.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "shinin/ make a list, run an alarm, do a short pose first to remind you of your failures. these are all ways to remember to do the things you know you should. it doesnt matter which you pick, but if you keep forgetting you cant improve!

so my zoo trip¨

>>mah tumbr

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! It`s been a while since i`ve posted here again. This camp has proved really helpfull to me at the times I was there. I finally found some time to post here again in the coming weeks,and i`m hoping to learn some more from all of you awesome people! Hope i`ll get to 50 too!

Here are the first ones. 60 sec sketches

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    x42 posemaniacs 10 - 15 seconds

x24 photo ref + x50 posemaniacs 30 - 45 seconds

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Syle- good work; but they seem a little squashed. too flat? are the photographed at right angles? they are also a little unsharp, but I think you can use less lines.

@blue- the fashion gestures, especially the first bunch on the last page. the last get a little messy.

@little-maiden- some very good looking stuff here. having these figures overlap has a bit weird an effect because the camera angles are so different. I really like these though. a few on you sb the color seem to cover up your work, which is a shame, but not this bunch.

@shinin- hope I didnt offend. im a lil bit frustrated with myself just pretty much for the same reason you just gave so I kind of steamed at that ^^. the caricarture, it's nice. though I do see what plissken said. cant remeber what steve roberts looks like ofc. that doesnt help ^^

@Talis- hey, welcome back man! long time no see! is your sb back too? you're a bit rusty, but that should wear fast. the lines are flowing, the proportions are off a bit.

@r3u5- oi, lots. and some very sexy stuff happening there. did you use a real pen? ye I like that 2nd page. you could de a bit cleaner though.

and.. nothing from me but an ass from memory.

>>mah tumbr

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: Oh I forget to set an alarm clock. I always had trouble with time. I remember things well but not necessarily at the right time. You can't imagine how many _soups_ I burned. Not mentioning less wet stuff.
    I still can improve and I have a much more grave problem anyway, I barely practice. I try and it doesn't happen.
    I reached the point where nothing can help me except myself becoming really serious instead being a lazy lump.
    so leave me, I will emerge from the inactive abyss soon - or perish.

Talis: Basic image manipulation (especially cropping) isn't your forte I see... I just can't stay silent about it. It's so easy to crop in the program I see and I'm sure an artist must learn such things.
    It seems you don't focus on hips enough. Some of your figures definitely seem having legs grown from their waists. Hips were always my problem area as well but I think if you consciously leave place for them, your figures become a little better. There's a gap between the navel and the beginning of legs.

I'm in my laziest period, not counting the several dozens of flowers I save because there will be big things done to our garden and house. Gardening at my own place, how wonderful it is...
    But I did some tentative steps toward drawing again, my main focus is heads.
    It feels terrible being lazy for this long, knowing I could do something decent if I would be able to try. I didn't even want to whine, that's lame too.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ashess
    I think I can recognise every animal save the last one. It doesn't read at all to me i'm thinking of a weird cross between monkey and polar bear?

Nonetheless the cheetah looks the best since it has the best sense of depth through your use of overlap.

R3u5 I don't think you should do much with 10 - 15 second poses save as a very basic warm up. Most of the time with that time you wont have more than an action line. Try taking more time with the gestures. Short is only warm up. It should lead into longer more thoughtful studies.

-----
    the optional and some more fashion gestures.

I think I take about 5mins on each of these gestures.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess - that last animals limbs look crocodillian but is it furred? i want to guess elephant seal.

Two sets from two separate days, both 90 seconds or less. Second set felt much more satisfying mby just cause i gave myself more space to work with.
    Thought i had done 50 but recount makes me not quite fin.

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nooo!

the head is turned away, but its obviously..

an iguaan.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: I have my own issues and sensitivities, I often feel sorry for my visitors, I can totally argue with them and it's hard to give me advice I don't know about... *sigh* No, no, I don't think you can offend me It's Depp, Steve Roberts is the caricaturist, sorry I wasn't clear about it.

I'm so tired. And rusty. I really hope my next heads will be better.

There will be figures too, later

Oh and a reply to someone who said some cute nonsense about me being good and motivating. I even denied the "artist" part. Maybe it's not offtopic too much, at least it's not a mountain or a tree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turnaround study
    The rear view is utter fail despite taking a second shot at it, and the hands mby i should try a turnaround study on just hands. Front and rotated views im pretty happy with.

shinin - the faces look fine to me though the pink haired girls mouth is odd, i think mby the space between her nose and upper lip is too flat. As for your fan, how do you know what inspires her. Mby seeing someone else struggle and succeed/improve helps her push forward.

Sketchbook
    Old sketchbook

I used to talk to myself. Prick thinks he's too good for me now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Azimuth: I liked the face of the pink haired Korean singer girl (I want to do a series with out bikes as humans and mine is a little cheerful Korean one so I especially focus on Korean girl faces) but the photo was very bad and my skills wasn't enough to fill the holes. Whatever I'll keep doing them.
    Inspiring is okay but she wrote things like I'm good... So totally not. I don't even do my best so I feel really bad about myself.

A wip from today, lucky you who didn't see the previous ones in my sb...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding my gestures to the ones I'm posting next week. Scattered all over the place.

shiNIN; That portrait in #5 has some pretty strong forms. The nose(nostrils mainly, soften the edges!) is a little harsh, but I think you did a great job overall. Perhaps this one was hard, but certainly worth it. Even if you had little time for some real gestures, there's a lot to say for the couple you posted. Especially the values and shadows you're adding. Not sure about the hard, tough and straight lines that occasionally appear. Though I would never stop you from experimenting.

Little-Maiden; I like what you're doing there and I think it's a promising approach. In some cases, especially with those custom brushes, the linework and brushwork seem to be getting in each others' way. Will probably resolve itself though. Using fashion reference for these? Great variation there. You should consider adding faces though, small effort when you're already drawing all the clothes. Nice job on the optional study!

ashess; Aha! I recognize those. Seems I missed out on quite a few of those poses myself though. Head is slightly small in some occasions, but you've probably heard that already. I like hyour bold, strong lines. Especially the hands , feet and face of the second last pose. Observed well. I've noticed you are also trying to smudge the charcoal. It's not working for me yet, perhaps it needs a more careful approach. Also, didn't you mention you could preserve these using hairspray? Was wondering if there are any specifics.

Syle; Hi Syle and welcome! Great gestures, feel free to upload bigger pictures though. This place is usually not too crowded, so we can use our space. Allows us to critique better, if you want! Because these are looking great. In some cases, they may be a little stocky. Or perhaps its because the chests are on the larger size. Difficult to see. I like the variety of gestures, and your approach on the placement and foreshortening. Certainly not shying away from difficult poses. Great job!

blu01; I hope you're no longer having trouble posting? You seem to be doing fine now. I like the subtlety on the last batch of poses. Gestures aren't usually that detailed either way. Few lines, but very effective. They seem focused and organic. Those first gestures are slightly more stiff. Perhaps because you used these long, straight strokes. Or perhaps its just warmup time... Either way, you can afford to be fluent, playful, organic.

Talis; Nice! Keep at it, and feel free to try and see if you can work out the head. Just adding a sphere wont teach you much. I like number 4 for its movement and the organic forms. Tough pose, but you did well there. The legs of #5 are good too. There's this typical shape when a leg is extended like that, and you captured it well.

R3u5; Whoa, 15 secs. I must say, they get better rapidly. Even when the linework is not pretty and accurate due to the time limit, the gesture itself is very clear. I usually hate the "bodybuilder" type poses from posemaniacs, but they don't seem so bad for short timed gestures. They add some variation to the mix. Neck is giving you some trouble in some cases, but that could be due to the short time frame as well. Nice work!

AdrianNagorski; Using a figure like that is an excellent idea, unfortunately I don't have any. You seem to be placing the pelvis and chest too close together, that may be causing your problems in some cases. Doing a nice job on foreshortening there. You can probably fix the positioning issues if you check back and forth quickly and often between the figure and your drawing. I Know the feeling when you're drawing an arm or leg and suddenly notice the position is way off.

Azimuth; Nice work! I always like the figures with objects like the spears and sticks. Careful with proportion, thoes torso's tend to get on the big size. It only occurs in the first couple though. Perhaps you just needed the warmup. Nice and organic approach on those female figures. In the last ones, you only needed few accurate lines. And the whole gesture is there. Just add some of your own figures and you've got a great exercise, haha!

Went to the same lifedrawing session as ashess, so you'll recognize the poses. Loved it! First two are A2 sized. 20min each.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, Sorry for not posting more gestures, but I am really busy.

@Anthis: Thank you very much for the deep critics, I will try to include the head more next time and I think it might be good to do some hip studies.

@ Ashes: Thanks man! But SB is also back yes, I will try to update alot more soon, since I`m finally getting more time to get into this again.

@ Shinin: You are right, I should crop my images a bit smaller, thanks for the note! cheers.

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.