Thanks

Weird discovery?

Now, before I explain what I recently found out, I'll have to honestly say that this is not a joke, you can try it out yourself if you want to.

A few days ago I was at a friends place drawing in my sketchbook, but she had a small bowl of peanuts (the ones that they use to make peanutbutter with) and I was fooling around a bit and suddenly decided to rub one peanut over a page in my sketchbook, I was happy to find out that peanuts have a nice skintone colour to it, but what then surprised me was the moment that I drew on it with a graphite pencil.

You see the thing is, I use cheap sketchbooks which contain recycled paper, sadly any form of graphite becomes very dull on this paper within minutes and they lose their edge, a 2B has the contrast of a HB/B pencil on this paper.

What I found out now, that by rubbing the peanut on this paper and drawing over it with a pencil, made the lines actually thicker and have more contrast, as if the surface was more rough and so scratched off more lead, but the thing is, peanuts are a bit oily. Now I'll upload an example when I get home later. Sadly, I don't quite know how it works, but it makes me wonder why I've never seen peanutpaper.

Ok sure, you'll probably never rub peanuts on a sheet of paper when you're handing it over to a client or for schoolwork, unless they love the smell of peanuts, but I just wanted to share this. Give it a try yourself if you're interested.

And yes, you may call me f!@#ing stupid for trying that.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The peanut oil is lubricating the surface, allowing more graphite to be scraped off the pencil lead more quickly (similar to why wetsanding cuts more quickly than dry). Also, the oil may be dissolving the graphite somewhat.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Works like a charm imo, the surface feels a lot better to draw on, but I'll have to say that I cba to smear peanuts on every sheet of paper that I draw on, too much hassle. It was quite amazing to me, felt like magic, haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    You might want to try vellum (the heavyweight tracing paper kind, not the animal skin kind), it may give a similar feel.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dont forget, peanut oil will rot your sketchbook page in time, (probably pretty quickly).
    just like oilpaint will eat away at unprimed linen and canvas.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've always found that fixative does pretty much the samething. It does't damage the paper either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    I wish every thread in the Lounge was like this
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    ?
    I tried chocolate spread on canvas, but I didn't find the results were worth creating a thread.

Thanks
    I just tend to try out things that are in hand reach, some people in my class always look weird at me for trying random things, but I don't quite see the problem, why not just try out random things right? I don't know everything, so I might as well give it a shot.

And if it's something that sparks my interests, then I guess I'll share it, even though not many might find this anywhere near useful information

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redystra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redystra View Post
    Now, before I explain what I recently found out, I'll have to honestly say that this is not a joke, you can try it out yourself if you want to.

A few days ago I was at a friends place drawing in my sketchbook, but she had a small bowl of peanuts (the ones that they use to make peanutbutter with) and I was fooling around a bit and suddenly decided to rub one peanut over a page in my sketchbook, I was happy to find out that peanuts have a nice skintone colour to it, but what then surprised me was the moment that I drew on it with a graphite pencil.

You see the thing is, I use cheap sketchbooks which contain recycled paper, sadly any form of graphite becomes very dull on this paper within minutes and they lose their edge, a 2B has the contrast of a HB/B pencil on this paper.

What I found out now, that by rubbing the peanut on this paper and drawing over it with a pencil, made the lines actually thicker and have more contrast, as if the surface was more rough and so scratched off more lead, but the thing is, peanuts are a bit oily. Now I'll upload an example when I get home later. Sadly, I don't quite know how it works, but it makes me wonder why I've never seen peanutpaper.

Ok sure, you'll probably never rub peanuts on a sheet of paper when you're handing it over to a client or for schoolwork, unless they love the smell of peanuts, but I just wanted to share this. Give it a try yourself if you're interested.

And yes, you may call me f!@#ing stupid for trying that.
    Interesting discovery. I'm just afraid if I tried doing it that my dog would eat all my sketches.
    Maybe I need to start rubbing peanuts on my homework!
    And I'm wondering, have you tried rubbing any jelly on after the peanuts?
    Last edited by Art4All; April 18th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Interesting find, thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    lol i totally understand this... i think.

also OP interesting find but yeah seems like there are cleaner less biotic attracting alternatives, tho for short term and to take a picture of the peanut enhanced work would be cool, especially to peanut butter lovers.
    Carver would be proud, he'd be fucking stoked...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shahan For This Useful Post: