Petr & Shektar (CRITIQUE WELCOME) =)!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Petr & Shektar (CRITIQUE WELCOME) =)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Petr & Shektar (CRITIQUE WELCOME) =)!

Hey guys, I recently did this illustration for a book and would like to have it critiqued. What are the piece's strengths and weaknesses, how could it be improved conceptually or technically, and overall, how do you feel about the piece? Thanks in advance guys !

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michelle Hoefener; April 11th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is cool. however Some of the cast shadows dont make sense. the cast shadows from the hind leg inticate that the sun is very low in the sky. becuase the lef has direct sunlight on it... (actually even if it where lit from very low the light would be blocked by the body) but the shadow from the sundial thing on its helmet seems to he lit from a much higher light source. Also check some images of bounce light of snow; its a very reflective material and would be deflecting light rays up into the fur on the inside of the legs and body. Another thing that seems odd are the paws. unless its a gorrilla hibrid and walking on a clenced fist.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with previous poster. Also, the mantle and banner are blowing in one direction and the snow in another (unless the snow is blowing upwards). The red jewels look like plastic. I like the colours you have used here, and that the eye of the beast is the only green thing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice piece, lovely colours and beautiful armour. I agree with the knuckle walking comment, I mean leopards do not walk on their knuckles; or is this a special kind of beast? Also how is it possible that all the guys killed by arrows and he has no bow and arrow? Are those guys his -dead- allies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The color and details are really nice. Like someone else mentioned, not everything seem to be going in the same direction as the wind, and I'd expect to see the fur being blown a little too. They are hanging down pretty heavy at the moment.
    As much as I love your colors, it feels so saturated. Perhaps I'm expecting colors to be more muted since it's snowing, which usually means there's overcast, so there won't be a bright sun. And the light color on the beast and snow shows it may even be sunset, thus less chance for vibrant colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful! hard to find flaws, but a few imo are-

-mans face is blank, fresh from battle, cold, there's lots of things he could be feeling, but he looks like hes doing his best just to be super sexy.

-armor and weapons are clean, no dings, scratches, or blood. Maybe this is a stylistic choice, but its just looking a lil to clean to me.

Hard pressed to find anything else "wrong" lol, looks wonderful!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with most crits posted already (lighting, the beast's knuckle/hand). I also am in love with your color scheme! Very cool.

Composition-wise, it might have been cool to have the man looking one way, and the beast looking another. Having them both looking in the same direction kind of makes it feel a bit static to me.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I agree with the previous posts and would just like to add that "I like this a hell of a lot!" and it gave me a nostalgia trip and put me in mind of this illustration on the cover of John Normans "Nomads of Gor". Its not what you would call an exact match by any means but its the animal riding thing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2939380...in/photostream

I was a bit sad in my younger years and bought all of these books just to try and copy the covers, it took me years ti pick one up and actually read it LOL, they can best be described as Pulp reading and not in the bestsellers, fun though for a 15 yr old (which was long time ago!).

all the best with the art and please keep posting

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.