Using an easel

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Using an easel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Using an easel

Hi all,

I always hear people say to use an easel when learning to draw, and after 3 years, I'm going to finally use an easel at the next life drawing class and hopefully, it will loosen me up (sitting on a chair with a A3 pad on my laps and holding the pencil in the writing grip really makes me more and more nervous with each passing second).

Some questions before next week arrives:

1) Since I'll be standing in front of the easel, and since the easel will be blocking my view of the model, does that mean I've to step sideways / cock my head sideways in order to see the model every 2 seconds? I wonder if that will result in vast inaccuracies, because it'll be like moving and drawing at the same time when you're supposed to lock your station point.
    The easels I'm going to be using at school is similar to this: http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...tist-easel.jpg

2) Does chalk pencils (http://www.amazon.com/Cretacolor-Art...4069034&sr=8-2) erase easily? I'm sick of using graphite pencils but I wonder if chalk pencils can be erased easily, because I tend to have thousands of construction lines in my drawings. LOL

Tks!

Last edited by Xeon_OND; April 10th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can position your easel in a way that you can see the model and your drawing at the same time. I am not sure about chalk pencils.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Just make sure that you are facing the easel at 90 degrees vertical to the surface when you turn to look at the paper. Forgot that part in the drawing.
    Name:  easel.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  54.1 KB

Well, at least not on newsprint. Erasing works better on normal paper.

But the easiest way is just to draw your construction really lightly, and just draw over it. Gesture drawing generally doesn't allow for enough time to erase, and if you want to loosen up, try not to bring your eraser along. It helps greatly with the confidence.

Or just grab some General charcoal pencil if you want to erase.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    1) Since I'll be standing in front of the easel, and since the easel will be blocking my view of the model, does that mean I've to step sideways / cock my head sideways in order to see the model every 2 seconds? I wonder if that will result in vast inaccuracies, because it'll be like moving and drawing at the same time when you're supposed to lock your station point.
    As in continue's diagram, set your easel slightly to the right (if right handed) or left (if left handed) of your view of the model. That way, when you're standing at working distance from the easel, it just takes a shift of the eyes to look back and forth from model to drawing. What you don't want to do is set your easel either directly between yourself and the model or at a 90º angle to your view, I see beginners do both all the time and it boggles my mind how anybody can be so idiotic.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't you have instructors at the class?
    I was told how to tilt the easel before I could say 'hello'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,
    I always hear people say to use an easel when learning to draw, and after 3 years, I'm going to finally use an easel at the next life drawing class and hopefully, it will loosen me up (sitting on a chair with a A3 pad on my laps and holding the pencil in the writing grip really makes me more and more nervous with each passing second).
    Don't feel too bad - you are in good company:

Using an easel

:-)

I have found the main trouble with working on a clipboard is that I have to look up at the subject, then down to the drawing, and in the process I lose the shapes and proportions. I don't have space for a large easel, but I found that using a small desk easel, I can have both developing drawing and subject in view at the same time, which helps me to achieve better accuracy.

I do find it a rather uncomfortable way to draw though.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot guys! That really clears things up, especially with Continue's diagram.

@ LordLouis : There's an instructor in the class, but it's kind of embarrassing to ask people something as common sense as "How do I use an easel?", especially since I've been drawing for 3 years, so I thought I would post here. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I have found the main trouble with working on a clipboard is that I have to look up at the subject, then down to the drawing, and in the process I lose the shapes and proportions.
    Yeah, that's a problem I face a lot during life sessions, thus the thought of using an easel to see if things change a bit. The problem with the clipboard is that my hands start aching and shaking after half an hour and the drawing experience turns into agony.

Anyway, I got a A2 size newsprint pad but I'm not sure how well my Cretacolor oil-based color pencils will react to the paper. Saw some paper stock selling for more than the price of 20 cups of Starbucks coffeee yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's an instructor in the class, but it's kind of embarrassing to ask people something as common sense as "How do I use an easel?", especially since I've been drawing for 3 years, so I thought I would post here. LOL
    He's there to answer those questions. He's probably been drawing for 20 years.

The clue is in the job description. "Instructor" He should instruct you, guide you, point the way, that kind of thing..

If you need it.

Ultimately, you are on your own.
    All you can hope for is decent instruction and maybe, a map.

Last edited by Flake; April 11th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.