Rising artist (timelapse videos included)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rising artist (timelapse videos included)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rising artist (timelapse videos included)

Hello there! I've been struggling for long time to post around here - I was just not good enough. Now that I hope that I've risen to some kind of decent level I think that I could use honest critique.

So, my goal is to get better (duh!) at digital art (duh! x2). For now I'm doing League of Legends fanarts and there are couple of reasons for that:
    1. It gives me something ready to play around with - I don't have to play around with design and then wonder whether problem lies in design or execution of painting.
    2. I'm bad with colors. I mean really, I suck at them. For hell of a long time I was just drawing with pencil and eventually ink and just recently I started to dealing with watercolors and stuff... And digital add whole a lot of different problems.
    3. I hate backgrounds. Although I have no idea how would it tie do LoL fanarts

Those are going in chronological order and I hope you can already see some progress. What I noticed is that I have problem during refinement stage. I'm doing my sketch, putting down basic values, and then when I zoom in to refine it just... Goes wrong. It can be clearly be seen on videos.

Anyway, without further reduce, here it does(list of videos, chronological order):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKEW6EMaUc <--anivia
    http://youtu.be/WTiYJBtWwF8 <--- Blitzcrank
    http://youtu.be/WBFRCOCNI50 <-- Fiddle
    http://youtu.be/0Wn2yLFIDdY <-- Corki

P.S. OMG WHY ARE ATTACHMENTS SO BIG?! D:

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Imrooniel; April 8th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Imrooniel View Post
    For now I'm doing League of Legends fanarts and there are couple of reasons for that:
    1. It gives me something ready to play around with - I don't have to play around with design and then wonder whether problem lies in design or execution of painting.
    2. I'm bad with colors. I mean really, I suck at them. For hell of a long time I was just drawing with pencil and eventually ink and just recently I started to dealing with watercolors and stuff... And digital add whole a lot of different problems.
    Well, you could avoid those issues by drawing stuff from real life too, and it'd help more. Set up an interesting but simple still life and draw it in grayscale with pencils/graphite/charcoal/black and white acrylics/etc. Then you have a clear reference to check your mistakes and you don't have to worry about the design. And like you said you're adding more problems with digital work.

Also your attachments are that big if you didn't re-size them to be small when you saved them in your program.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, you could avoid those issues by drawing stuff from real life too, and it'd help more. Set up an interesting but simple still life and draw it in grayscale with pencils/graphite/charcoal/black and white acrylics/etc. Then you have a clear reference to check your mistakes and you don't have to worry about the design. And like you said you're adding more problems with digital work.

Also your attachments are that big if you didn't re-size them to be small when you saved them in your program.
    Is is that bad? I mean, that I have to go all the way back to drawing b&w still life. And about attachments I hoped that they'd be auto-resized... Oh well, lesson for future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is is that bad? I mean, that I have to go all the way back to drawing b&w still life.
    No, its not bad. Don't see it as a setback, but
    as a necessity. (Which it is) life studies is how
    you flex your artistic muscle and build up your
    library of references inside your head to call upon
    when doing an imaginative piece. Artists in all skill
    levels do studies and life drawings to keep them sharp.

If you really want to see improvement, that's the key.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is is that bad? I mean, that I have to go all the way back to drawing b&w still life.
    You'll learn the most and fastest by drawing from life.
    That being said, if the fan art will keep your interest high, by all means, keep drawing them, but get some practice with life drawings too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to look For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my only experience of drawing still life is my art class in high school which is not all that great. I'm fed up with drawing boxes, balls and cylinders.

So you could say that I'm getting trauma response whenever I hear "still life". Heh.

Thank you all for input. I was not really considering still life and I was mostly focusing on trying to analyze reference pictures of various textures. If that's fastest way to advance, then well - still life, ho!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well my only experience of drawing still life is my art class in high school which is not all that great. I'm fed up with drawing boxes, balls and cylinders.
    Well, you can always spice it up a little. Like buy couple plastic animal toys, paint them white and add them among the other stuff and make an actual scene.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your ellipses, boxes and cylinders still need a lot of work judging by these pieces. As much as it sucks I'd get a better hold on them first.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.