Sketchbook: Journey from absolute zero - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to upload today because this is taking AGGEESS to paint ! but im just trying to get it right and not rush or be careless ect ect! I hope to apply the knowledge from this study to my gladiator guy but im actually excited to start doing more of my own characters ! but now im ZZZ from doing one painting all day so i might just do some readying and theory work before bed ! thanks for looking in

I also started showing some form in my gestures,

Journey from absolute zero

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oops wrong one haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not a very productive day but did a figure from loomis then the rest from imagination, started thinking alot more about gesture, and realised how stiff and boring all of my other guys have looked, like the gladiator guy, I almost want to redo him from scratch because he just looks like a plank of wood jumping haha Then a little bit more of the Knight study

Learnt today: Anatomy knowledge is nothing without gesture knowledge !

Last edited by JerryActric; June 22nd, 2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot an image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally back from driving interstate thank gawwwddd. Drove about 3500km ! but means i can get back into drawing

so not much, but some figures. Some from loomis some from imagination, basically made me hate life haha and a dog photo that explains me trying to get better at art haha

then just did some doodles and a quick speed paint with no ref out of frustration !

Learnt today: playing with hot and cold .. Jerry has no idea about torso or pelvic anatomy and needs to do some studies !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuffffff from today

Gestures, then the rest from imagination, form in space practice, and then some perspective zombie stuff, Then a Study from a photo for hallways !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some painnnnttting studies today !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today just did some gestures and put a dint in that study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the study, did a self portrait that made me want to destroy all life
    but then a zombie speed study and also learnt how to make a custom brush ! so tried to make a super textured brush and use only that to paint something. Purely just to see what it was like !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as for today was pooooop pooop poop, Frustrating day and did not draw or paint much and anything i did just wasn't working out. I want to make up for it tomorrow though!

my dad laying on the couch, once from life then from imagination, then a wes burt doodle and a skin tone study that made me hate life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I think you are doing well. You've come far in a short time.

I've been trying to do gesture drawing every day for a month now too, and it helps tremendously.

One thing I notice is that you do a lot of outlines on your gestures. When I had drawing classes in college I was thaught to focus on a new aspect of what I was seeing all the time. So in one session we would only draw the negative space around the figure(to get the silhouette), the next we would focus only on drawing a centerline of the limbs and body (to get 2d direction), we would even have to draw things upside down (to stop our brain from interpreting what we saw before we could really see it).

Especially we where forced to use other mediums than pencil. Like charcoal or ink or markers. This made it impossible to fall back to focusing on outline drawing like most of us would do instinctively (the human brain is extremely good at seeing edges and lines, and that makes us biased towards using thin pencil lines). So try for example to use a fat magic marker and draw just the negative space around your model. It won't look so nice, but after a few sessions you will see how much easier it is to see how the proportions on the page match the reference.

At least for me this kind of exercises helps a lot with breaking down what I am seeing into manageable parts.

Breaking things down is basically what you are already doing with your studies of anatomy and perspective, but it can speed up the process if you do the same with how you are looking at things too. It's like telling your eyes to see lines color hue and value one at a time instead of all together.

This might be terribly unclear. Am I making sense?

Anyways. Keep up the good work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstfelder View Post
    Hey man I think you are doing well. You've come far in a short time.

I've been trying to do gesture drawing every day for a month now too, and it helps tremendously.

One thing I notice is that you do a lot of outlines on your gestures. When I had drawing classes in college I was thaught to focus on a new aspect of what I was seeing all the time. So in one session we would only draw the negative space around the figure(to get the silhouette), the next we would focus only on drawing a centerline of the limbs and body (to get 2d direction), we would even have to draw things upside down (to stop our brain from interpreting what we saw before we could really see it).

Especially we where forced to use other mediums than pencil. Like charcoal or ink or markers. This made it impossible to fall back to focusing on outline drawing like most of us would do instinctively (the human brain is extremely good at seeing edges and lines, and that makes us biased towards using thin pencil lines). So try for example to use a fat magic marker and draw just the negative space around your model. It won't look so nice, but after a few sessions you will see how much easier it is to see how the proportions on the page match the reference.

At least for me this kind of exercises helps a lot with breaking down what I am seeing into manageable parts.

Breaking things down is basically what you are already doing with your studies of anatomy and perspective, but it can speed up the process if you do the same with how you are looking at things too. It's like telling your eyes to see lines color hue and value one at a time instead of all together.

This might be terribly unclear. Am I making sense?

Anyways. Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for the kind words ! As for the gesture ideas thats also great, I would like to try as many methods as i can and i need to train my eye to see alot more. I think the methods you mentioned will help this alot ! Breaking it all down will be good practice and im sure stop alot of frustration haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to quick 1.5 hour still lifes, just trying to see colour again. Then some guys from imagination, Just enjoying having a sketchy sketch day haha

I also looked at a art school in Sydney that i would really love to go to, except i just need to work out how to get the money for it ! but things will work out one way or another ill find a way !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh jeez i didnt realize how small it would be, Ill fix that in the next update i do !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI THERE, loved the armour study really nice man, keep working more.

By the way im interested about art school in australia, especially julian ansthon, but ill have to travel overseas to get there, actually right now im looking where to travel and do my art studies, the mostl likely option for me right now is new york, but the cost of living there is damn high, can i ask you some questions about the cost of living in australia??

thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to netxhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really inspiring seeing how much progress you've made already. Perspective is something i really need to look into the theory of, it's great you are looking into it so early. Keep at it!

Last edited by TYPH0NI5; July 4th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TYPH0NI5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by netxhunter View Post

By the way im interested about art school in australia, especially julian ansthon, but ill have to travel overseas to get there, actually right now im looking where to travel and do my art studies, the mostl likely option for me right now is new york, but the cost of living there is damn high, can i ask you some questions about the cost of living in australia??

Hey !
    Julians is the school im looking at going to ! but i would love to try and give some advice feel free to ask !

I have found some student accommodation that is 4kms away from the school with small rooms for as low as $200 a week, that includes bills and internet. So i think only food on top of that. I'm not sure if you would want a car in the city though as public transport is pretty good and a push-bike might even be easier to navigate ! but it would be fun to have a fellow CA'er to attend julians with!

please ask away anything you would like to know

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPH0NI5 View Post
    Really inspiring seeing how much progress you've made already. Perspective is something i really need to look into the theory of, it's great you are looking into it so early. Keep at it!
    oh man thank you lots for the kind words. Perspective was one of the biggest helps for me, Not only understanding about horizon levels and vanishing points ect, but actually understanding and really picking your brain every time you draw and line, and to think of which way the line is actually travelling through space. Once i began to understand that pulling a pencil sideways across a page does not mean sideways, it can actually mean back or forward in space. I know this is common knowledge but i just never thought like this before.
    but thank you for the inspiration !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by netxhunter View Post

thanks
    im not sure what happened but my reply didnt appear in the first comment ! strange haha,

but sure thing ! ashtons is the school i would really like to attend aswell, So i can try to answer any question you would like to know.

Ive done some looking around at living expenses and found some really really cheap student accommodation 4km from the school. There are rooms for about $200 a week, this includes internet and all bills. You could make $200 easily with about 2-3 working days a week. So if you where able to pick up a weekend job you would be able to sustain yourself. the min wage here is around $15 and hour, but its common to be on anywhere from $18-$23 an hour depending on your age and the job.

please feel free to ask away though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these practices and studies are coming along nicely, keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_ View Post
    these practices and studies are coming along nicely, keep it up!
    thank you kevin ! I hope your studies are going well also

Here is some stuff from today, Tried some negative space gestures which where very hard, then did some paint on the linework from a few days ago. Trying to think about the light reflecting off the guys armour !

Then i day dreamed about going to the art school. Still not sure how, but i will find the money to go and live in the city there !.

julianashtonartschool.com.au/

then just some sketchbook dooooodles from imagination before bed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice improvement Jerry, that knight study came out quite nice!

Yum!

me
    blog
    josh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rinnikirun View Post

Thank you very much for the kind words man Hows your work going, I hope its coming along !

so today i did not get much done,! eh i hate the days where i cant draw much haha.

but did some work on the zombie knight battle guy ! some more gesture stuff and a pin prick of the female loomis pages, also a few doodles from imagination just because there fun ! !

One thing that really interest me is light and value's. I want to learn more about them! because my stuff looks very washed out and chalky because i do not understand value enough yet. Im going to paint a butt load of stuff from life and read some theory on colour and light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anatomy day ! some stuff from loomis, but looking up each muscle on https://www.biodigitalhuman.com/ so that i can really understand it. I have trouble determining all the information from the drawing, the origins ect. So using the 3d model i can really understand it !

then some figures from imagination to test what i really learnt !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the internet decided to go down for a day, So here is the stuff from the last two days
    Wanted to learn about ues so i studies some works, trying to focus on the values and not the details ! . I noticed that there are lots and lots of variations on every part of the form. If you dont allow for the value changes the object looks flat, interesting but now to try and put it in practice !
    http://davidrapozaart.deviantart.com/
    check him out his amazing if you have not already!, one day i will be able to do things as nice as his work

I also found my first still life ... its nice to see my painting and sight has gotten better since then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rinnikirun View Post
    and thank you for the nice words im very excited to keep working and see what i can do with this ! i will have to come look by your sketchbook ! have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

I am going to focus specifically on coloring because that's kind of my thing--

One thing I learned from painting class is you don't want to compartmentalize your image. You want to constantly move around and make sure all the parts are talking to each other, color and shape. Paint in a shape, then paint the area surrounding it back in. Color pick across the whole surface. You want it to work as a team, and when you do one area then move on to the next, you get a collection of parts but no real idea of a whole. Try laying down all your base colors, then a little more detail everywhere, a little more, a little more. Also take an oil painting class if you ever get the chance. I know digital and oil seem really different, but nothing helped my digital coloring more than a traditional oil class.

Otherwise really think about negative space! Sometimes painting the background back in does a lot of good for getting the shapes and contours right.

Good luck!

Sketchbook||DeviantArt||Tumblr

Every artist was first an amateur. Ralph Waldo Emerson

32. The Following User Says Thank You to autumncoloredmelodie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by autumncoloredmelodie View Post
    Hi there!

I am going to focus specifically on coloring because that's kind of my thing--

One thing I learned from painting class is you don't want to compartmentalize your image. You want to constantly move around and make sure all the parts are talking to each other, color and shape. Paint in a shape, then paint the area surrounding it back in. Color pick across the whole surface. You want it to work as a team, and when you do one area then move on to the next, you get a collection of parts but no real idea of a whole. Try laying down all your base colors, then a little more detail everywhere, a little more, a little more. Also take an oil painting class if you ever get the chance. I know digital and oil seem really different, but nothing helped my digital coloring more than a traditional oil class.

Otherwise really think about negative space! Sometimes painting the background back in does a lot of good for getting the shapes and contours right.

Good luck!
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff and lend some advice ! you have made me think about painting, but especially about making it work as a whole. Bringing everything up together versus part by part and the result being puzzle pieces of detail ! I would also love to Oil paint ! unfortunately where i live right now there is nothing related to art ( at all its kind of depressing having no one with common interest ). But im trying to get some money together to move into the city where i can do some classes and then i can learn to oil paint and do lots of pretty pictures haha

thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bleh ! one of those days that nothing looked good ! but some imagination doodles, some back anatomy, and a skin tone chick study. except i did the study at the end of the night rather then before my imagination doodles Going to wake up earlier tomorrow and draw harderrerererr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff from today, Just trying new stuff out and doing anatomy and skin tones that scare me from how un natrual they look

Faces from ref

Journey from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stuff from the last 2 days, tried my hand at zbrush, but about a 15 mins blooobb haha but i would like to learn to use it more ! Really loving drawing and painting more then anything these days !

Journey from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zero[IMG]Journey from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zero[IMG]
    Journey from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zeroJourney from absolute zero

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1